Rebel Flag

MaryvilleRebels

Ohh and someone said what about Rebel Guy, well people apparently found him offensive as well and he was also banned from our school! He was on our lunchtrays and several other places, like yearbook, but was banned from them. Also we had a live mascot that was a guy dressed in white slacks, white blazer, white cowboy hat, and boots and he was banned! I still think getting the flag changed would be quite costly!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget tradition. People in the United States who still wave the rebel flag are apart of the "old southern" menatlity. This is the same as Germans waving the nazi flag around at sporting events. The flag represents a bad time in american history and should not memorialized by "southern patriotism". I'm not offended by the flag in any way. I just feel that it represents oppression and rednecks.

Posted by UNCCJP33:

Forget tradition. People in the United States who still wave the rebel flag are apart of the "old southern" menatlity. This is the same as Germans waving the nazi flag around at sporting events. The flag represents a bad time in american history and should not memorialized by "southern patriotism". I'm not offended by the flag in any way. I just feel that it represents oppression and rednecks.

This is simply a misunderstanding or a lack of education by both sides! Are their stupid REDNECKS who get drunk and wave the Battle Flag, sure there are. But it doesn't mean that everyone who displays the flag is a REDNECK, RACIST, or NEO NAZI! Yes it was a terrible time in American history but we should study the time period and not assume that everyone who fought for the South was a slave owner, just like not everyone who fought for Germany in World War II was a Nazi. Most of those brave men were simply fighting for their home state(s). Not everyone who fought for the North wanted to end slavery or even cared about the issue. Most were either drafted (they called it by another name) or joined because they felt it was the thing to do. It was a terrible war that should be studied more in school so that people will understand the real facts regarding this matter and others related to it. :)

I myself, doesn't care for the flag and it don't offend me but if it's offending most of the minority community, it's time for a change. Someone posted, "New flags would cost like 30 dollars instead of 10" Hey, yall can afford things like that. Maryville School system has the money unlike Knox County Schools. Just think about the community as a whole not just an individual.

I would've love to seen a lunch tray with a Rebelman on it, that sounds tight. Why did they banned that?

Guest Rebelz03

I play for the maryville team, and i understand where people can see that our fans might be considered racist for waving it. i understand where everyone is coming from. I like seeing all the school spirit in the stands when i come running off the field after a touchdown is scored. But i dont want our school to be stereo-typed as racist. So i am sorry to all of the people we have offended by the action of our fans. Our school has used the rebel flag ever since the 50's, 60's, and 70's. It is kind of like tradition. But the fact that we offend people with it is understandable. and i am greatly sorry for that.

Guest caligula
Posted by AERoadrunners:

I myself, doesn't care for the flag and it don't offend me but if it's offending most of the minority community, it's time for a change. Someone posted, "New flags would cost like 30 dollars instead of 10" Hey, yall can afford things like that. Maryville School system has the money unlike Knox County Schools. Just think about the community as a whole not just an individual.

I would've love to seen a lunch tray with a Rebelman on it, that sounds tight. Why did they banned that?

The school is not going to pay for personal flags. Knox Co. needs a new system though.

Posted by Rebelz03:

I play for the maryville team, and i understand where people can see that our fans might be considered racist for waving it. i understand where everyone is coming from. I like seeing all the school spirit in the stands when i come running off the field after a touchdown is scored. But i dont want our school to be stereo-typed as racist. So i am sorry to all of the people we have offended by the action of our fans. Our school has used the rebel flag ever since the 50's, 60's, and 70's. It is kind of like tradition. But the fact that we offend people with it is understandable. and i am greatly sorry for that.

The only thing I'm sorry about is the fact that people don't get out and learn more about what they are getting "offended" by insted of jumping to conlcusions. Then they'd discover they are wrong in this matter. It's a shame that there are people apoligizing for this when they've dont NOTHING wrong.

Alright...I have not one horse in this race, but i will add my opinion anyway. I believe that Maryville should be able to fly the flag during football games. In no way do i believe that they do it in any racist way. However, I CONDEMN any man who flies it and means it with racist intent. Especially after the happenings of the 9/11. Many people fly it due to heritage, and I believe that these people should be able to fly it if they want. This is a country of freedoms, but it worries me to know that there is still people out there that hate other people based on their skin, beliefs, or religion. The thing is...we should thank God that we can even have this discussion because we live in a free country. There will be racism as long as humanity os around, but I hope to see it get smaller with time. I want to urge everyone on this board who may have said things in anger on here, and maybe had one sided beliefs, to stop and think what happened a year ago this month. whether you are black, white, orange, red, or candy stripe...we ALL belong to one nation Under God. and we all have certain unalienable rights, but that doesnt mean you have the right to step on each other's toes just because you feel a certain way. I just ask everyone to think before you add a post to this thread or any other thread...and remember that God made each and every human differnt in the likeness of His image. So if you have a problem with the way someone looks, or the color of their skin...then my friend take it up with Him. But i want to end this post and say I thank God that I can live in a country where my belief will not get me murdered or put in jail. But lets all get together as AMERICANS and stop the bickering...cuz i guarantee the guys on flight 93 that rushed the cockpit didnt turn anyone down that offered to help because of their color or their beliefs.

Southerners didn't kill people just cause they were black? Maybe you ought to read a book sometime. Churches bombed, men dragged to death, men hung, men women and children murdered, homes destroyed and people terrorized all because of they were black. All united under the rebel flag.

Posted by UNCCJP33:

Southerners didn't kill people just cause they were black? Maybe you ought to read a book sometime. Churches bombed, men dragged to death, men hung, men women and children murdered, homes destroyed and people terrorized all because of they were black. All united under the rebel flag.

Your post is the most ignorant ever! Maybe you should take your own advice and read a book sometimes. Or maybe read a thousand books because it sounds like you have allot to catch up on.

Posted by diesel:

UNCCJP33...The things you listed in your last post are isolated incidents of ignorance and hatred. Most of them happened in the 20th century, long after the rebel flag flew over the South. Southerners have never herded blacks into concentration camps by the thousands before starving them and then burning them in massive ovens. That's what the Nazis did to the Jews. The Nazis tried to eliminate an entire RACE. Some people are always going to hate other people. Don't generalize and say that all Southerners are racists just because of the actions of a few idiots. The closest any Americans have come to doing what the Nazis did was during WWII. Japanese were rounded up and put into camps after the attack on Pearl Harbor. This was done because of the fear of infiltrators. We didn't want to wipe out all the Japanese in this country. This was even done in Tennessee. One of these Japanese camps was located close to the town where I live. A lot of the older people who live around here still refer to the road that goes by there as "Jap Camp Road." AhHa! Ole' Diesel might have read a history book or two after all. I don't get on here and shoot my mouth off about things that I don't know anything about. Maybe other people should take my approach.

:o AMEN! I've been saying that this whole thread! Good post man.