Is OS Ranked too high?

Guest Wahmbulance

Guest Wahmbulance

Obviously my informant was positively wrong, but of course he's from Kingston, so I'm not sure how biased or unbiased he was. It's nice to get a straightshooting opinion from someone who knows what they're talking about. I work for a paper out of Nashville and I appreciate the info. Everyone around here has no clue about Oliver Springs and with their recent success I tried to make it a point to cover most of the teams ranked on here. With the things you've told me, it sounds like OS will be on fire next year. The post sounds like one of the safest plays OS has had in years. I'll look forward to covering you when you get to Murfreesboro..

[Edited by SportsEyeview on 8-29-02 12:23P]

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if someone on Coacht was making negative remarks about kids,and someone knew he was a TSSAA official,and called him out what would happen? :)

[Edited by bballtn on 8-29-02 3:46P]

SportsEye, OS appreciates the coverege in the middle Tennessee area. In East Tennessee, Oliver Springs already has a tradition for womens basketball. OS has sent players to the college ranks consistently, been to substates previously, and has without question fan support that takes a backseat to no one. It's trues that OS girls before last year had not made a splash into statewide talk, but OS had been to substate games in 88 and 89, had dominant teams in the early 80's- state runner up in 82.

THe info you gather from Kingston is a reflection of anxiety of the changing of the gaurd of athletic powers in Raone County and beyond. Harriman and Kingston previously had dominated sports- football, basketball, and girls basketball, but in the last 5-7 years OS has leaped and surpassed these schools.

OS relishes the role of playing Jackson County, Upperman, McMinn Central, and Tellico Plains next year as I believe they are on the schedule in tounraments nest year. TO be the best you need to play the best and eventually beat them. You will see OS will do this with pride and a class act run by Coach Todd Wright as OS eleveates its program.

thanks for the coverage!

Guest Wahmbulance

I'm just relaying information my friend from Kingston has given me. If you choose to think that I'm some sort of TSSAA official you are sadly mistaken. If you're threatening me, I'm not sure what for. I'm trying to get the proper facts to make a statement concerning the kids at OS. Don't try and intimidate me because you can hide behind a name on here. I've told everyone what my perogitive is, and it's to take an in-depth look at OS. If you don't want me to be positive towards them, then that's your choice. Don't bring this wonderful school down.

I don't see where anyone has made negative remarks about kids on here. Besides even TSSAA officials have a right to an opinion. Unless I misunderstood it Sportseyeview just commented that Wampler couldn't shoot very well from outside. If this is the worst thing that is said on hear about her, then she is doing good. He did not question her character or beliefs. Also, I don't think everyone is sitting around worrying about O.S. taking over the county. Kingston did play them some very close games and I belive beat them once last year. They are very good, but be careful about making reservations in Murphreesboro just yet.

I respect all comments and treat them as personal opinions and leave them at that. As SportsEye pointed out alot of poster will post/say things with their limited knowledge and biased opoinions. To me, Sportseye did not attack an OS player, but the comments that were made were done in poor taste and poor Journalism, especially since he is a journalist from the Middle Tennessee area as he/she states. My question and understanding I was a communications/PR major at Univ. of Tennessee and Univ. of Toronto( btw, that's in Canada), shouldn't a journalist that has integrity find all information concerning a subject regardless sports, news, financial and find all facts that truly unbiased material should be the goal, then and only then can a writer/journalist have the answers to the perspective she/he is searching for before reporting/writing their opinion. I will take this one step further, My opinion is you have an inside media source. ( you said this collegue was a friend, but I would venture to say this "friend" is affiliated with a certain small town newspaper located in Kingston) Understanding that Kingston, Harriman, and even Rockwood News dominate the Headlines most of the time of this small town newspaper, I understand the reluctance of "sources/friends" in local coverage of giving their UNBIASED opinions. NOt that their is a direct correlation between converage and this incident, but its along the same line of not giving OS its fair biased coverage it deserves and commands with its recent accomplishments in all sports in last 7 years. OS has long been aware of these elements, but that is more than OK. OS looks more toward Knoxville and Oak Ridge for the better amd larger media exposure.

You asked if OS was ranked too high at number 3? Let me ask you this. OS was 29-7 last year a final 8 team last year. OS returns 4 starters, an all state guard ( only soph. on all state team) and one of the best freshman in the state in Hackworth, picked up 3 QUALITY transfers including a 6'3 athletic phenom who should dominate the lanes, and have posters and sources stating that OS has defiencies and worried about them being ranked 3 in a FAN POLL? I find anyone that would question OS not being an ELITE Team in AA one of a couple things- biased, uninformed, jealous or all three. Whatever the case, you as a jouranlist are held to higher standards and should be aware of making comments about a 15 year old's shooting and a teams expectations when you are uninformed with misguided biased sources in "kingston".

My apologies on a long post, but wanted to set the record straight. OS will be grateful of any coverage in the Middle Tennessee area Sportseye, as the Lady Cats have their eyes on a Saturday game in Mboro come March.

Guest Wahmbulance

I do believe some of the statements I made were wrong, however my "friend" from Kingston was a person I was handed a phone number for by someone I had asked as to who I should contact. If I offended anyone or any team with this post I truly apologize, I'm sure that this is all some sort of misunderstanding. I've heard great things out of east tennessee, but I really don't know where I can find quality information about Oliver Springs without coming on here and getting it. I tried to start this post to get negative and positive feedback on the team, but was told I had attacked Wampler. I was just relaying information I was given. If I need anymore information I will surely post on this board for help. Thank you to all of you who posted info.

Sportseye, here are a couple websites that might help you with coverage of OS Lady Cats. It takes alot to come on board and admit that, its appreciated! Here is some info to help you out.

www.oshs.com

www.LauraHallBall.com- site on PG Laura Hall

Also, the Oak Ridger covers Oliver Springs High School Athletics. www.oakridger.com

and of course - dont forget about that newspaper in Kingston

In the Works is a Knoxville sports newspaper called Metro Sports weekly Newspaper that will have in depth coverage of 67 plus high schools in the knox area. Knox County, Anderson County, Sevier County, Blount County, Union COunty, Jefferson County, Roane County, Campbell County, Loudon County, Hamblen County, Scott County, Cumberland County, Monroe County, Cocke County, Grainger County, Claiborne County. This paper will be a weekly paper with in depths articles, coverage of all area teams and without question bring the Knoxville and Area High School Athletics together. Look for this paper to kick off in August 2003 being headquarted in Knoxville.

It sounds like you have a problem with the Roane County News for which I am the Sports Editor. Last year was my first year with the paper and I'm proud to say that all OS basketball games were covered as were every Roane County game except for Harriman's opener with Loudon (both teams got drilled and I figured they didn't want to relive it). I personally was at 16 games that OS played. Didn't make it to Florida, the Farragut tourney or the Region Tournament (Surgery). I will agree with you that OS has gotten the shaft in the past from our paper in sports, but that hasn't happened since I got there. I'm from Oakdale and not anywhere in Roane County so I do not have a favorite or least favorite team. I don't have a clue who you are, but I know or somewhat know some OS basketball fans like KKV, BBallMom, the Hall's and Coach Wright and I think that they will all back me up in my coverage of OS basketball. Could it be better? It could, if we had one sports person for each city, but we don't and I do the best I can. I know you must think I hate OS or love Kingston or something, but that's not the case. In the paper, I never express my opinion (I do that on here) except to predict the scores of football games, which at times are not entirely true because sometimes I pick against the county team as a way to motivate them and I know Coach Johnson or any county coach will use anything like this to their advantage. Again if you don't like the RCN then that's fine, but I don't know who SportsEye is so your assumption that I've passed info is wrong. By the way I think OS has a great team and they have a shot to win it all this season. I also think, and I've stated on here before, that it's too early to pencil them in to Murfreesboro. Once any team reaches the Region semis it becomes a dogfight. Heck, last year, OS needed overtime to get past that round. They can win the state and they can get knocked off prior to the substate and I think you'll agree with me on that. Oh, well sorry to ramble, but I wanted to clear the air. I hope you have no ill will toward me because I try not to ###### people off in life. If you want to call me sometime do so at 865-376-3481 ext. 315.

Goose,

After viewing and reading thse posts I posted, I believe I owe you an apology. My posts were not directed at you, but I understand how you would construe them as that. I do think you go a great job of "fair" coverage and I dont think you are biased. From my understanding, you are from Oakdale, so my posts were not directed at you in response to the "kingston contact". You are not one of the "elements" that I spoke of. I also understand it can be difficult to get coverage of all sports and games for 5 high schools and sometimes its impossible, thus leaving no coverage. IN these cases, I beleive OS has been on the short end sometimes in comparison to Kingston, Harriman, and Rockwood. The regular news of the Roane County news completely adheres to this belief. It is has long been dominated by Harriman and Kingston News and to a lesser extent Rockwood. If anyone doenst think so, pick up a copy and a couple past issues breeze through the main news and see how many Oliver Springs topics there are. Local evernts- such as chrurch meetings, social agendas, and just city council meetings, etc are all Harriman, Rockwood, and Kingston a majority of the time. I sometimes beleive that is a reflection of a newspapers attitude. If you look at the Oak Ridger, it covers Oliver SPrings events on a regular basis. Again, as I said, I dont think this incident has any direct correlation to the" source" that sportseyeview has in kingston, but its along the same lines. As the softball player from OS said, they students/kids are excited and appreciative of the exposure that you have brought them with coverage. IN the past OS softball was rarely mentioned.

Goose, again my apologies and pssibly I should have not been as direct and taken a different approach with this situation I wish you the best and appreciative of your hard work in coverage of Roane County Sports and hope that others follow your example!