SP Basketball

OLD PIRATE

Well Old Pirate re-visits a topic that appears to be a muddy as the Mississippi. OP has some what read and heard about the Pirates that are potentially a talented group. OP says they seem to wilt like a flower in the desert sun during games. OP read where CSAS's coach referred to depth as a problem........or are they simply still trying to shed their football pads?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Old Pirate re-visits a topic that appears to be a muddy as the Mississippi. OP has some what read and heard about the Pirates that are potentially a talented group. OP says they seem to wilt like a flower in the desert sun during games. OP read where CSAS's coach referred to depth as a problem........or are they simply still trying to shed their football pads?

OP you must be bored. Yes they have talent. Yes they could win alot of games this year. Yes they will wilt like a "flower in the desert sun". Gotta have discipline at the top. That is where it begins. Same thing could be said for Marion Co. They better stick to football over there in Pirateland.

OP you must be bored. Yes they have talent. Yes they could win alot of games this year. Yes they will wilt like a "flower in the desert sun". Gotta have discipline at the top. That is where it begins. Same thing could be said for Marion Co. They better stick to football over there in Pirateland.

Yep after football season ends it does get a tad boring aroung the cave. Old Pirate says the Pirates should be doing better than they have shown so far. O-well, it'll be spring football practice time soon enough.

Part of it is about attitude. There was a time when every coach in the Seq. Valley dreaded playing the Pirate BB team. The talent pool has been consistent. The players have bought into the BS from both South Pittsburg and outside as well that they can't do basketball.

Free press box

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/ja...mmaries/?sports

SIGNAL MOUNTAIN 55, SOUTH PITTSBURG 54 (OT)

Signal Mountain 10 8 12 14 11 ??” 55

South Pittsburg 8 5 16 15 10 ??” 54

Signal Mountain (55) ??” Hogans 2, Renfroe 5, Luke Locke 18, Dawson 5, Patrick 6, Jon Patton 19, Faiell, Rankin.

South Pittsburg (54) ??” Te. Robinson 8, Hale 6, Quick 2, Malcolm Jones 17, M. Mitchell 2, Jiajuan Fennell 17, Ty. Robinson 2, Chubb, B. Mitchell.

3-point goals: Signal Mountain 2 (Renfroe, Dawson); South Pittsburg 6 (Jones 5, Fennell). Other highlights: M. Jones 3 at buzzer sent game to OT (SP). Record: South Pittsburg 7-7, 4-2 6-A.

They must be really bad this season if they lost to Signal Mountain. I was going to try to make it to one game, but I don't know if I will make one.

don't diss signal. they are getting better and their coaching made the difference tonight i am sure. they are coming on boys. i don't know or care what is wrong with spitt but give credit where credit is due.

don't diss signal. they are getting better and their coaching made the difference tonight i am sure. they are coming on boys. i don't know or care what is wrong with spitt but give credit where credit is due.

Old Pirate says them BB Pirates better look in the mirror and ask the question.... Do they really want to be on the hardwood? It'll sounds as if it'll get worse with what most say appears to be a lack of focus and desire to push themselves. Sorry guys just observations from fans.

Old Pirate says them BB Pirates better look in the mirror and ask the question.... Do they really want to be on the hardwood? It'll sounds as if it'll get worse with what most say appears to be a lack of focus and desire to push themselves. Sorry guys just observations from fans.

OP...one of these Sat AM's I am gonna have to drive across the time line and have a cup of hot joe with you...that is if your wife will let you out of the house. Now I don't usually offer an opinion on what is wrong with a program of any kind...usually just what is right. The right things take care of themselves and the wrong things usually stay wrong until they get right. I follow Temple since my son is in school there. They seem to be doing the right stuff. I will tell you what my son and his coherts say about the SP basketball situation. They believe they have great talent and potential but they question committment to basketball or anything else except football. That is only natural taking into consideration the great success the Pirate football program has had over the years. Maybe it is a lack of focus...or motivation. I have watched them play a few times over the years and they just seem to lack awareness and purpose. Did SP have some great teams 30 years ago? Is that coach still around? Maybe he could provide you with some valuable insight if he is.

I have watched the Pirates on a few different occasions and my assessment is this: (1) While they have some talented players (Fennell, Terrell Robinson, Jones) they are not a talented team. There is a big difference in the two and you can't depend on those three guys to win every game for you. (2) They don't seem to push themselves to excel in basketball in any aspect of the game (offense, defense, or mentally). The overall basketball IQ of the team seems to be very poor. (3) Discipline....If you go over something in practice you should be able to translate it and use it in a game, but there were several occasions in the games I watched that the coach would be telling them what to do and they would purposely do the opposite. The only way to get everyone on the same page is to discipline those who don't want to play as a team. If that causes some to quit or whatever then so be it. Thats the only way you will get dedicated team basketball players and instead of selfish me first players. You have to buy in to the system that is being taught and trust in your coach.