goodgooglywoogly

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did last week's scrimmage go?

By GOOSE LINDSAY

Roane Newspapers

Last Monday, the Rockwood Tigers scored on three of their four varsity possessions in rolling to a 21-0 victory over Meigs County in Rockwood's first fall scrimmage.

Thursday evening, the Tigers took the field again and were even more impressive as they scored on all four varsity possessions in picking up a 24-0 victory in a scrimmage at Pigeon Forge.

Despite scoring on seven of eight possessions in two scrimmages and not allowing a touchdown on defense, Tiger head coach John Webb says his squad still has a long way to go before opening the season at Sweetwater on Friday, Aug. 28.

“We did some good things today, but we've still got a lot to work on,” Webb said. “I thought our offensive line did a good job of getting to the right places today, but we changed some things in the backfield this week and our backs made some mistakes. Defensively, I thought we were sluggish on their first three drives, but the last series we really got after them.”

Rockwood set the tone early by stopping Pigeon Forge on their first possession then the Tigers marched 70 yards in nine plays with Jeff Inman scoring on a four-yard run. Inman helped set up the scored after turning a short pass from QB Chris Harness into a 28-yard gain.

Rockwood's second scoring drive was an eight-play, 70-yard drive that featured four big plays.

The first two plays came through the air as Harness connected with Davey Templeton for 14 yards then Harness hooked up with Collin Smith for a gain of 20 yards.

The final two big plays came on the ground as Dillon Deardorf ripped off a 16-yard gain before Aaron Morgan scored from 17 yards out.

Rockwood's third scoring drive was a thing of beauty as Rockwood covered 97 yards in 17 plays with backup QB Lucas Jolley firing a 20-yard scoring pass to Aaron Billings on fourth-and-10.

Rockwood had two big plays on the drive with Harness firing a 19-yard pass to Smith and Deardorf ripping off a 19-yard run.

Rockwood ended the scrimmage with a six-play, 70-yard scoring drive that featured a 22-yard run from Deardorf before Harness tossed a 17-yard scoring pass to Jeromy Hagermaker.

Rockwood's varsity unit ended the evening with 311 total yards on 40 snaps.

The Tigers ran the ball 27 times for 197 yards with Deardorf leading the way with 84 yards on eight carries. Inman (6-34 with 1 TD), Morgan (4-32 with 1 TD) and Templeton (5-26) also contributed to Rockwood's ground attack.

Three Tiger quarterbacks combined to complete six of 13 passes for 114 yards. Harness led the way by going five for nine for 94 yards with one touchdown.

Five different Tigers caught passes with Smith (2-35) leading the way while Billings and Hagermaker hauled in scoring passes.

Rockwood's defense allowed only 125 yards of offense on 32 snaps as Pigeon Forge ran the ball 20 times for 74 yards while completing six of 12 passes for 51 yards.

Hagermaker and Ian Walls recovered fumbles for the Tigers on defense and the Tigers also stopped Pigeon Forge on downs at the three yard line.

Rockwood's junior varsity unit had the ball twice and scored once on a one yard run by Clay Cisson.

Jared Breazeale set up the score with a 65-yard run. Breazeale had 69 yards on two carries while Smith added 37 yards on two carries.

The Tigers junior varsity squad ended the evening with 108 yards on 13 snaps.

Rockwood's junior varsity defense allowed 46 yards and no scores on 18 plays.

Rockwood is scheduled to scrimmage at Oakdale on Thursday before playing in the Roane County Jamboree at Oliver Springs on Friday.

Say Rockwood/Roane County folks: Is there a Roane County jamboree this year? If so, when and where is it being held?

Aug. 21st at Oliver Springs

5:30 Wartburg MS v Norwood MS

6:00 1st Qtr Harriman v Sunbright

6:30 2nd Qtr Rockwood v Cumberland Co.

7:00 Halftime OSMSv Cherokee

7:30 Competition

8:00 3rd Qtr OS v Cumberland Co.

8:30 4th Qtr Midway v Coalfield

Say Rockwood/Roane County folks: Is there a Roane County jamboree this year? If so, when and where is it being held?

Should the date be the 14th....this Friday...coachT has Coalfield playing Bledsoe Co. on the 21st. Sunbright is playing North Greene on the 21st.

Should the date be the 14th....this Friday...coachT has Coalfield playing Bledsoe Co. on the 21st. Sunbright is playing North Greene on the 21st.

yep.....your right.....this schedule has it on the 21st but it can't be right.....thanks

Hankhill I guess you're a real tough guy to be sitting behind a computer with a screen name talking about a bunch of high school kids. I'd love to see you all these comments to someone's face. Let it die already. How long are you Rwood ppl gonna sit on here and complain about Os not playing you. I'm not even from OS and I'm tired of hearing it. Take care of business and you'll meet in the playoffs. Those kids and coaches work just as hard as everyone else. If you feel that strongly about it saying to their faces.

Hankhill I guess you're a real tough guy to be sitting behind a computer with a screen name talking about a bunch of high school kids. I'd love to see you all these comments to someone's face. Let it die already. How long are you Rwood ppl gonna sit on here and complain about Os not playing you. I'm not even from OS and I'm tired of hearing it. Take care of business and you'll meet in the playoffs. Those kids and coaches work just as hard as everyone else. If you feel that strongly about it saying to their faces.

I am a real tough guy, I lead Arlen High to state my Senior year. Dangit Bobby!!!!!!!!