Run up the score?

cincyred

Read where the coach of the team that won a recent basketball game 100-0 was fired. Good. I think the same thing should happen to soccer coaches if they run up a score. When should you "call off the dogs?" Is 20-0 in soccer the same as 100-0 in basketball?

I read that story, too! I find it interesting that after the fact that they came forward and said they wanted to forfeit the game to give "respect" back to the team they beat 100-0. Kind of hard to put the toothpaste back in the tube once it's out, isn't it? I think one of the reasons I have very little respect for the school that won is that they ran a full court press until late in the 4th quarter. That would be like leaving your starters in (soccer wise) and pressing hard towards goal when you are up 10-0.

The difference in this and some of the scores that we saw last year is that in the basketball case, it seemed like they kept everyone in and played to score that 100 points. In some (though not all) games in soccer, the coaches have pulled out their starters, put restrictions, and still have scored.

I did laugh, though, because usually we wait to discuss this until someone has a big score. Oh well, gives us something to talk about.

Wonder what would a 100-0 basketball score look like in soccer? 20-0? The highest score ever was 31-0 in Australia vs. American Samoa world cup qualifier.

Read where the coach of the team that won a recent basketball game 100-0 was fired. Good. I think the same thing should happen to soccer coaches if they run up a score. When should you "call off the dogs?" Is 20-0 in soccer the same as 100-0 in basketball?

does Tssaa have a mercy rule for soccer? i forget. A mercy is needed if we dont. teams can take out starters and put in jv and in some cases scoring happens. So then you put conditions on scoring (headers or corner kicks) or you just play keep away. Either way frustration happens. Games just need to be called at a certain point. Leaving it up to the coaches may make the losing coach feel like he is selling out his team. In the west soccer is still developing. Very lopsided games can happen in district games.

You can pull starters, go to two touch possession game (great way to teach players to pass and hold the ball), force a header only scoring rule (great way to teach crossing and heading), require X amount of passing before sending a through ball (great at teaching build-ups) or simply pull a player or two and play a man short (great practice for when you are in a tough game with a red card).

I've also seen coaches reverse the field. Center Backs become forwards, etc. (although one coach told me that if you ever let a goalie score, he will never want to go back into net again!)

Any solution is still going to humiliate a team getting clobbered, and so does a mercy rule.

Unless you are competiting in a tournament where goal's scored or goals differential is awarded, anything over 5-nil is a blow-out in soccer.

Interesting article on MSNBC.com

A lesson in winning with class.

Does "G" stand for Grimes?? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> ....Just kidding

Did Grimes run up the score? Yes,.... Does it show poor sportsmanship? Yes,.....Should he be fired? No, unless their is another reason that were not aware of. Things of this nature seems to work themselves out. Grace Christian in Football comes to mind. And thats all I'll say about that.

Does "G" stand for Grimes?? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> ....Just kidding

Did Grimes run up the score? Yes,.... Does it show poor sportsmanship? Yes,.....Should he be fired? No, unless their is another reason that were not aware of. Things of this nature seems to work themselves out. Grace Christian in Football comes to mind. And thats all I'll say about that.

You know me... love those triple digit scores! (It made me quite ill reading that story the first time, and still does). The opponents hadn't had a win in over 4 SEASONS! (Way to kick that puppy there coach). If you look at coach Grimes picture, he seems like a young guy who maybe just hasn't "gotten it" yet. (I know when I was a young coach, I thought I knew a lot more than I did and had to find things out the hard way). Thankfully I am not young anymore (but MUCH better looking than Akula).

I think the reason he got fired wasn't because of the score, but because of his reaction to the school's reaction to the score. As someone said... coach vs. AD is almost always going to come out in favor of the AD (just ask Coach Fulmer on that one).

Found YOUTUBE video on the American Samoa vs. Australia! Click to watch!

ONE player had 13 goals himself!!!

• 2 weeks later...

This topic inevitably makes its way onto this forum every year

Here's how I see it: The losing team goes to practice every day just like the winning team. They work just as hard as the winning team. And many times, they are the most humble teams you'll ever play (even if they're humble from losing so much). There's no reason in the world to run up the score on them. Once you get to at least 6 you should be putting serious limitations on your team and never go above 9. double digits is just mean. Its almost a fact that if the score were turned the other way (that's to say that the losing team became magically better), then they would win with more humility than anyone else. I would even venture to say that the "better" team would take losing with poor grace many times- not all the time albeit. This is coming from someone that hasn't even lost a game where the score has been driven up (in high school anyway). That's purely an unbiased opinion

This topic inevitably makes its way onto this forum every year

Here's how I see it: The losing team goes to practice every day just like the winning team. They work just as hard as the winning team. And many times, they are the most humble teams you'll ever play (even if they're humble from losing so much). There's no reason in the world to run up the score on them. Once you get to at least 6 you should be putting serious limitations on your team and never go above 9. double digits is just mean. Its almost a fact that if the score were turned the other way (that's to say that the losing team became magically better), then they would win with more humility than anyone else. I would even venture to say that the "better" team would take losing with poor grace many times- not all the time albeit. This is coming from someone that hasn't even lost a game where the score has been driven up (in high school anyway). That's purely an unbiased opinion

Let me take it a step further and stir things up......BARRING DISTRICT GAMES........

Any coach (both winning and losing) that knowingly puts a school on their schedule, in which they know the score will get out of hand should be flogged. Or better yet typed whipped on coacht. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Let me take it a step further and stir things up......BARRING DISTRICT GAMES........

Any coach (both winning and losing) that knowingly puts a school on their schedule, in which they know the score will get out of hand should be flogged. Or better yet typed whipped on coacht. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Would a coach really do that on purpose? Am I naive? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />