State Wrestling Poll

ghouse

As pulled from the Chattanoogan (they are always the first with this up).

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_143354.asp

STATE POLL:

RANK - SCHOOL - POWER RANKING - STANDING LAST WEEK

1 - BAYLOR - 100 - 1

2 - BRADLEY CENTRAL - 92 - 2

3 - CLEVELAND - 83 - 3

4 - FATHER RYAN - 67 - 5 (tie)

5 - MCCALLIE - 66 - 4

6 - CBHS - 56 - 7

7 - BLACKMAN - 50 - 8

8 - INDEPENDENCE - 49 - 5 (tie)

9 - BRENTWOOD ACADEMY - 23 - 9

10 - CLARKSVILLE - 20 - 11

11 - SODDY DAISY - 19 - 10

12 - SCIENCE HILL - 8 - ---

Others receiving votes: GREENBACK, HENDERSONVILLE, HIXSON, MONTGOMERY BELL ACADEMY, NOTRE DAME, OOLTEWAH, WALKER VALLEY.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As pulled from the Chattanoogan (they are always the first with this up).

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_143354.asp

STATE POLL:

RANK - SCHOOL - POWER RANKING - STANDING LAST WEEK

1 - BAYLOR - 100 - 1

2 - BRADLEY CENTRAL - 92 - 2

3 - CLEVELAND - 83 - 3

4 - FATHER RYAN - 67 - 5 (tie)

5 - MCCALLIE - 66 - 4

6 - CBHS - 56 - 7

7 - BLACKMAN - 50 - 8

8 - INDEPENDENCE - 49 - 5 (tie)

9 - BRENTWOOD ACADEMY - 23 - 9

10 - CLARKSVILLE - 20 - 11

11 - SODDY DAISY - 19 - 10

12 - SCIENCE HILL - 8 - ---

Others receiving votes: GREENBACK, HENDERSONVILLE, HIXSON, MONTGOMERY BELL ACADEMY, NOTRE DAME, OOLTEWAH, WALKER VALLEY.

Congrats to Blackman, Ind, BA and Greenback! These teams were not even on the wrestling radar 6-8 years ago, Their coaches, parents and grapplers desereve praise for their hard work!

Curious. What other sport in the State of Tennessee has public rankings in which teams are ranked together that will not compete against one another for State Championships? I mean, AAA football doesn't get ranked against AAAA football. AA baseball doesn't get ranked against AAAAA baseball. Even our own individual rankings are seperate because those kids will not compete against one another for their State medal. How about other individual sports? Swimming? Tennis? Cross Country? Who invented this and why is it recognized? What is the point?

Congrats to Blackman, Ind, BA and Greenback! These teams were not even on the wrestling radar 6-8 years ago, Their coaches, parents and grapplers desereve praise for their hard work!

Rigger,,,,,,you have left out our buddies over at Walker Valley. 6-8 years ago they had no team at all.

Curious. What other sport in the State of Tennessee has public rankings in which teams are ranked together that will not compete against one another for State Championships? I mean, AAA football doesn't get ranked against AAAA football. AA baseball doesn't get ranked against AAAAA baseball. Even our own individual rankings are seperate because those kids will not compete against one another for their State medal. How about other individual sports? Swimming? Tennis? Cross Country? Who invented this and why is it recognized? What is the point?

DaisyMay, You make excellent points in your post. I started a thread a month ago asking this same question. It seems that people are affraid to answer this question for some reason. Why combine DI and DII in rankings when they won't compete against each other for state championships. It make no sense to me as to why the ranking are done this way. Maybe somone can explain?

DaisyMay, You make excellent points in your post. I started a thread a month ago asking this same question. It seems that people are affraid to answer this question for some reason. Why combine DI and DII in rankings when they won't compete against each other for state championships. It make no sense to me as to why the ranking are done this way. Maybe somone can explain?

Maybe because if there was a DII top ten, they might start running out of teams before they ran out of places to rank them.

Maybe because if there was a DII top ten, they might start running out of teams before they ran out of places to rank them.

Star, You are probably right about that. So that is one reason but not a good one as far as I am concerned. In the end it is what you do at state that counts but it does seem like this is some kind of DII conspiracy to be "with" the DI teams even though they won't be at states. Just a thought. Its like Baylor is No. 1, why isn't Bradley No. 1? As far as I'm concerned Baylor is the No. 1 DII team and Bradley is the No. 1 DI team.

Hmmm well I can't speak for the guys who created and set-up this poll way back when but here are my thoughts:

1) Maybe some people like to know where the teams stand overall and not just in their arbitrary divisions (ya know that truly seeking out competition rather than titles)

2) These teams may not all compete against each other in the post-season but many do during the regular season so plenty of reason for comparison there

3) If you want individual rankings for the division just break out the teams in this one and renumber them (yes it really is that easy)

4) Yes there are fewer rankable DII schools. The division is smaller with less depth so it is a given. Yet somehow they have 5 teams currently ranked in the top 10 with 4 in the top 6. They must be doing something right in that division.

5) Is it really all about what you do at state or is it more about how you wrestle, the work you put in, and the lessons you learn along the way? I guess some people have different visions about the true goal of sports...

Oh and just because someone asked the obvious question I am going to give the obvious answer. Baylor is ranked #1 because that is the way the coaches around the state vote it. If they felt Bradley should be #1 they would be!

Hmmm well I can't speak for the guys who created and set-up this poll way back when but here are my thoughts:

1) Maybe some people like to know where the teams stand overall and not just in their arbitrary divisions (ya know that truly seeking out competition rather than titles)

2) These teams may not all compete against each other in the post-season but many do during the regular season so plenty of reason for comparison there

3) If you want individual rankings for the division just break out the teams in this one and renumber them (yes it really is that easy)

4) Yes there are fewer rankable DII schools. The division is smaller with less depth so it is a given. Yet somehow they have 5 teams currently ranked in the top 10 with 4 in the top 6. They must be doing something right in that division.

5) Is it really all about what you do at state or is it more about how you wrestle, the work you put in, and the lessons you learn along the way? I guess some people have different visions about the true goal of sports...

Oh and just because someone asked the obvious question I am going to give the obvious answer. Baylor is ranked #1 because that is the way the coaches around the state vote it. If they felt Bradley should be #1 they would be!

ghouse, thank you for your words of wisdom. Since you replied to ME I will do the same:

1 & 2. Arbitrary divisions? The fact is there are two divisions whether you like it or not. Just seems like since we have two divisions we would have two polls. Just my opinion.

3. Thank you for pointing out the obvious. Or we could have DI coaches vote for DI rankings and DII coaches vote for DII rankings. That would be easy to do as well.

4. So instead of a DII top ten it could be Fab 5 or whatever. No one said that DII wasn't doing things right so don't turn this into that argument.

5. Please get off your soapbox. The statement about "what counts is what you do at state" was only a compairison to the rankings and how you finish at state. I know and agree with all the lessons learned from wrestling but that wasn't the topic.

I understand how the rankings work and how the voting goes. The voters feel and vote they way they want it doesn't change the fact that my statement and opinion that Baylor is the No. 1 DII team and Bradley is the No. 1 DI team is wrong.

I understand how the rankings work and how the voting goes. The voters feel and vote they way they want it doesn't change the fact that my statement and opinion that Baylor is the No. 1 DII team and Bradley is the No. 1 DI team is wrong.

And your opinion would be correct based on the poll. However, the poll also gives us the ability to compare the two and for the time being Baylor comes out ahead.