will usj have anything this year?

sandbagger

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go out on a limb and predict USJ will sqeak out a few wins this year??? Looks like they're into pain judging from their schedule. Should be a fun year

[/qu

It does look like they are into pain. A friend of mine sent me some info on their schedule: In 2009 the Bruins will play eight 2008 State Champions, 7 teams that played in their State tournament, and 5 teams that played in their regional and sectional tournaments. The schedule includes the best teams from Tennessee, Mississippi and Alabama.

Looks like a tough year. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger?

playing tough teams def help for sure but it takes more to get it done in the big game ..something they havent been able to do since 2005 ...they always have a great team talent wise but that doesnt alway get it done

I've seen a lot of USJ from the other side. Seen most of their kids since coach pitch. They only lack on thing to win another title . . . more quality startint pitching than the past few years. They always seem to be a pitcher short in the state tournament. It's a brutal week on your pitching staff. In fact, I'll bet that's what the people who came up with the format had in mind . . . teams with the most pitching depth win it. I've seen 3 of their last 4 state final games and that lack of one more hoss in the pitching rotation is what got them. Not to mention that plate umpire two years ago who squeezed Preston so bad. Made him come up above the knee for a strike. No wonder east tennessee teams hit so many home runs if that guys strike zone is a sample of what you get in the east.

I've seen a lot of USJ from the other side. Seen most of their kids since coach pitch. They only lack on thing to win another title . . . more quality startint pitching than the past few years. They always seem to be a pitcher short in the state tournament. It's a brutal week on your pitching staff. In fact, I'll bet that's what the people who came up with the format had in mind . . . teams with the most pitching depth win it. I've seen 3 of their last 4 state final games and that lack of one more hoss in the pitching rotation is what got them. Not to mention that plate umpire two years ago who squeezed Preston so bad. Made him come up above the knee for a strike. No wonder east tennessee teams hit so many home runs if that guys strike zone is a sample of what you get in the east.

USJ will be one of the teams to beat In AA for the state. I expect they will be in the boro.

Pitching depth is critical but I think its fair when picking a state champion. You have to win 4 games in 4 days but lose one and you're playing 6 in 4 days!

USJ will be one of the teams to beat In AA for the state. I expect they will be in the boro.

Pitching depth is critical but I think its fair when picking a state champion. You have to win 4 games in 4 days but lose one and you're playing 6 in 4 days!

Yeah its fair. Don't misunderstand me. I love it. Makes you develop more pitching if you think you are a contender. Can't ride two arms to the title like in the old days.

Yeah its fair. Don't misunderstand me. I love it. Makes you develop more pitching if you think you are a contender. Can't ride two arms to the title like in the old days.

ride two arms? ha wow.... with usj it has never been that way ...this is my point the talent is and always has been there...last years staff was made up of number one clayton gant who is now a vol pitcher...number 2 preston overby who is soon to be at ole miss...number3 jared davis who is soon to be at union..and number 4 benji fesmire former all state pitcher.....2 arms? the fact is they just couldn't get it done and that's a shame when you have all that talent

• 2 weeks later...

ride two arms? ha wow.... with usj it has never been that way ...this is my point the talent is and always has been there...last years staff was made up of number one clayton gant who is now a vol pitcher...number 2 preston overby who is soon to be at ole miss...number3 jared davis who is soon to be at union..and number 4 benji fesmire former all state pitcher.....2 arms? the fact is they just couldn't get it done and that's a shame when you have all that talent

I said two arms in the old days ... I mean just that . . . the days before the spring fling and the current post season format. The two pitcher reference had nothing to do with usj. But I will stand behind my comment that they've been one arm short in the state finals . . . maybe a half a quality arm.

I said two arms in the old days ... I mean just that . . . the days before the spring fling and the current post season format. The two pitcher reference had nothing to do with usj. But I will stand behind my comment that they've been one arm short in the state finals . . . maybe a half a quality arm.

i understand what u meant but sorry if i was unclear ...can u expand on the fact that usj was sort a pitcher... i dont understand how that could be the case after knowing who there staff was made up of ... and saying "half a quality arm" makes it sound like ur trying to change ur postion, if u really think they were sort of pitching please explain how

Although the ultimate goal is always to win it all, I would think there would be many teams out there that would have liked to have played in multiple state championship games and "come up short" after winning a state championship in the last 5 years. I am sure USJ wishes the ball had bounced a little different in those championship game losses, but they were there with the chance, most teams were not.

It looks as if USJ will be very good this year. Losing a dominant pitcher like Gant will have an effect, but looks they still have plenty of pitching and offense. Maybe they can even make the championship game again and see if they can keep from "coming up short" this year.