THE SOLUTION! MAYBE?

ELA

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by nonews:

... sit back, take a deep breath, and remember, 3 out of 5 of the current head coaches in Tenn. have NO PROBLEM with the current system, as they are no longer facing privates...

your "solution" doesn't have the proverbial "snowball's chance" ... :)

NONEWS... The BIG question is what will happen after the BA lawsuit is settled? Then every public school coach in Tennessee will have a direct stake in this matter, either from a financial aspect or a competition aspect. Don't think we aren't all thinking about this for down the road! The issue has came up at both coaches association meetings over the past two years! Coaches are talking, you should have been at the TACA lunch at halftime of the Friday Night State BLUE CROSS BOWL (2001)! If this year's teams don't include any private schools (either game 1A or 2A) the issue may die down, but if it is like last season, I promise you this issue will be back!

ELA...Just remember this....any action that changes how private schools compete, whether it be a forced split or multiplier could result in more expensive lawsuits. Is it really worth the time and effort to dicriminate against private schools? When you open a can of worms be ready for the consequences as well.

BTW...In an earlier post you said that I wasn`t a coachT Plus member. I have been one for over two weeks. All you have to do is look under the user name to identify plus members. Feel free to send a private message anytime you want.

[Edited by VolunteerGeneral on 9-2-02 10:34A]

Posted by VolunteerGeneral:

ELA...Just remember this....any action that changes how private schools compete, whether it be a forced split or multiplier could result in more expensive lawsuits. Is it really worth the time and effort to dicriminate against private schools? When you open a can of worms be ready for the consequences as well.

BTW...In an earlier post you said that I wasn`t a coachT Plus member. I have been one for over two weeks. All you have to do is look under the user name to identify plus members. Feel free to send a private message anytime you want.

[Edited by VolunteerGeneral on 9-2-02 10:34A]

A total split is better for me than a multiplier, but this proposal doesn't require either!

All teams (public and private) play together but their playoff games are separate until the final game. In that way, we find out who the top public and private schools are and then they play for the title in a bowl game. Up until that time, everyone is free to play whomever they desire! EVERYONE WINS UNDER THIS PLAN! :)

... and how do you know I WASN'T at that meeting... :o

... I seem to remember that many coaches were talking a year or so ago about rearranging the way the playoff brackets are set up, even conducted a survey of some sort and made a proposal to the TSSAA... that didn't go over too well... TSSAA is after all an ADMINISTRATORS organization and is not generally known to be all that responsive to coaches' wishes... I'm equally convinced that the majority of the interest and concern in this issue is coming from primarily the 1A and 2A coaches... thus my assertion that the majority of coaches in the state really don't care... as for the lawsuit, yes I can see the organization "kicking out" the private schools in the event of a large financial award, but I also have doubts about such a judgement being levied... I rather suspect this lawsuit will finally be ruled a moot point, as BA has basically achieved its objectives already... in that event, it's rather farfetched to assume that the 60+% of schools in the state who do not have private schools in their respective classifications will suddenly be overwhelmed with compassion for all of your so-called "small rural schools"... and finally, if a total split IS in fact the stated objective of the majority of TN. public schools, why should they then agree to add yet ANOTHER week of playoffs simply to have a public-private game?... in a split system, schools will still have the option of scheduling privates, and frankly, since the "partial" split the general public school fan population (which comprises most football fans in TN.) has shown little to no interest in the teams competing in or the games being played in D-II... therefore I think you are offering a solution to a problem which really doesn't exist, and in fact the only real question remaining to be answered is "to split or not to split"... :D

Hey Ela ... Nevermind Ela. I ask you too many questions. I guess that`s because I value your opinion.

Question for anyone who sides with the whiner section. If all private schools played on the same level as Trinity Christian or Jackson Christian, would you still be as adament about a change? And be honest.

[Edited by VolunteerGeneral on 9-3-02 4:51P]

Posted by VolunteerGeneral:

Hey Ela ... Nevermind Ela. I ask you too many questions. I guess that`s because I value your opinion.

Question for anyone who sides with the whiner section. If all private schools played on the same level as Trinity Christian or Jackson Christian, would you still be as adament about a change? And be honest.

[Edited by VolunteerGeneral on 9-3-02 4:51P]

NO! If they are recruiting kids, they're not doing a very good job! But I never see anyone complaining about JC, TC, Lighthouse, Sewanee (SP?), Mt. Juliet Christian, CAK, etc! It's not the very small Church schools that seem to garnish much attention, but the more financial institutions that have "deeper pockets" and more of an emphasis on sports! If, however, CAK all of a sudden became a powerhouse football team, I think some folks in Knoxville would start asking questions!