THE SOLUTION! MAYBE?

ELA

ELA's PLAN:

* Each team plays 10 regular season games (Weeks 1-10)

* Each team selects 8 games to count toward the playoffs

* 50% of the 10 games must be within a teams classification.

* Playoff Teams are selected using a mathematical formula to be approved and managed by a PLAYOFF COMMITTEE (selected from TSSAA Member Schools to include Coaches, Administrators, Mathematical Statisticians).

* Formula to take into consideration:

Teams Classification

Opponents Classification

Teams Win/Loss Percentage

Opponents Win/Loss Percentage

Common Opponents Win/Loss Percentage

Other Factors to be determined

* All teams not selected for the playoffs can participate in a single invitational bowl game during weeks 11 or 12 if they win at least 3 regular season games. Each team will receive a pre-determined amount (percentage of gate or set remuneration) for participation in any bowl game.

* The Committee will select 32 teams (16 in CLASS B) in each class to be divided as follows:

* West Bracket - TOP 16 Teams (8 Teams in Class B)

* East Bracket - TOP 16 Teams (8 Teams in Class B)

* PUBLIC Team Playoff (EAST/WEST BRACKETS) as follows:

* WEEK 11- GAMES

A. 1-16

B. 2-15

C. 3-14

D. 4-13

E. 5-12

F. 6-11

G. 7-10

E. 8-9

* WEEK 12 - GAMES

Winner of Game A Plays the Winner of Game E

Winner of Game B Plays the Winner of Game G

Winner of Game C Plays the Winner of Game F

Winner of Game D Plays the Winner of Game E

* WEEK 13 - GAMES

Winner of Game A/E plays the Winner of D/E

Winner of Game B/G plays the Winner of C/F

* WEEK 14 - GAMES

EAST CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

WEST CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

* PRIVATE Team Playoff (EAST/WEST Brackets) as follows:

* WEEK 11 - PLAYOFF BYE WEEK

* WEEK 12 - GAMES

A. 1-8

B. 2-7

C. 3-6

D. 4-5

* WEEK 13 - GAMES

Winner of Game A plays the Winner of Game D

Winner of Game B plays the Winner of Game C

* WEEK 14 - GAMES

EAST CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES

WEST CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES

* WEEK 15 - STATE CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES (Public/Private)

* WEEK 16 - PREP BOWL GAME(s) - TOP PUBLIC vs PRIVATE TEAM(s)

:):):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ela,

You must teach math. It would take someone with a phd (pile it higher and deeper) in math to figure out your new method. The two of us seem to agree on most issues but this new idea is much to complicated. Let's not get to crazy and try to make a new wheel. Just put the private schools back in with the public schools and make the private schools play up 1 or 2 classifications above their enrollment.

PotentialProblems with his method

(although i like his method)

1-Math (look at the BCS, thats all I have to say)

2-Teams would destroy others in hopes of getting a better pairing (who can blame them)..Intentionally running up the score 55-0 to a mediocre team is better then playing a great team and only winning 16-14 right? maybe, maybe not.

3-Injuries (Do you give Red Bank a #4 ranking because of Riggs, or do you drop that to #6 because Riggs isnt 100%) (Another example could be UVA signee Bryant White or something like that from Webb two years ago, middle line backer who did not play against Harding in the playoffs)

4-Who is to say which team is better (a 8-2 team that played Maryville and Mo. West or a 10-0 team that didnt play anyone?)

An example might be Tennessee High going 10-0 and then getting destroyed by a Morristown West team that everyone knew was better...Or another one might be I think it was Blount or Ooltewah that beat Science Hill or someone last year that was number 1 (sorry I just don't know who it was)

5-I think you would find it would be really hard to schedule teams...Harding Academy is 0-10 against Briarcrest in the last like 7 years, so why would BCS want to play them? Harding on the other hand would love to play BCS and that is their main rival. The same could be said for a BCS versus a MUS or CBHS (9 times out of 10 MUS or CBHS win that, so why play them)...kinda like, why does UT play Memphis in football (only asking for trouble)

I am telling you right now, It would be very difficult for Harding to schedule teams...the only games that are even close are 2(ecs and bcs) the other games they either one by 30, or lost by 25 or so (forced to play those games)

6-I don't think you realize how angry people would be mad at the TSSAA if their 7-4 team didn't get in...but a 6-5 team who they beat early in the year did get in.

-ELA, I like your plan, and these are just things that might possibly come up...there really is no answer for them, but a thorough and direct plan like yours, does deserve a thorough look over...Please do not take this wrongly, I did not come up with one, and I am not bad mouthing yours, Overall it is very good, I am just stating problems that might arise from it.

I really don't think you people want the fate of your team resting in the hands of a computer, am I wrong?

Posted by cbg:

Ela,

You must teach math. It would take someone with a phd (pile it higher and deeper) in math to figure out your new method. The two of us seem to agree on most issues but this new idea is much to complicated. Let's not get to crazy and try to make a new wheel. Just put the private schools back in with the public schools and make the private schools play up 1 or 2 classifications above their enrollment.

I hate math... that's why I teach history! But I think Earl Nall and some of the math and computer people could come up with a plan that works. West Virginia uses a plan something like this and it works well for them! You will find that when it gets down to the top 16 teams, it works out almost perfect. You can limit how many points a team can use from a score to prevent the score from being run-up. IN other words, score all you want, a win only counts "X" amount of points in the system without regard for the total point spread! Other states use a math formula, I think it would end most of these useless first round blowout games! :)

Ela,

If you want to end the first round blowout games just don't take as many teams to the playoffs. Let's place everyone back together and use a multiplier for the privates. We also need to reduce the number of divisions and only take the top two teams from each district to the playoffs. Yes, I know that the TSSAA and some schools would go crazy with this method because it would mean less teams in the playoffs and the TSSAA would not make as much money. Lord knows they need the money to pay their present and future legal fees.

Posted by cbg:

Ela,

If you want to end the first round blowout games just don't take as many teams to the playoffs. Let's place everyone back together and use a multiplier for the privates. We also need to reduce the number of divisions and only take the top two teams from each district to the playoffs. Yes, I know that the TSSAA and some schools would go crazy with this method because it would mean less teams in the playoffs and the TSSAA would not make as much money. Lord knows they need the money to pay their present and future legal fees.

I don't mind that solution (multiplier) either, but I don't think you will see that happen without a lot of AAA, AAAA, and AAAAA coaches and principals upset! There are no easy answers; however, I think mine is the best I have seen presented. You have the top teams playing in the playoffs ending with the top public and private teams playing in a bowl game. Why not see who the best public and private school is in each class and then let them play each other for bragging rights? It could be the start of a great new tradition. :o

Ela,

You are correct that some of the AAAA & AAAAA schools would go crazy with my plan. The major reason for this is because I would only have 4 divisions and it would mean fewer teams in the playoffs. The TSSAA would not like this plan because their revenue stream would be less. With the 8 state champions in football that we have today the competition is much too watered down. Maybe we could just mail a state championship trophy to every school in the TSSAA to make them feel good and be happy. Is this not what society wants today, for everyone to feel good and be happy? We both know that the present system is broken and needs to be fixed but are the schools willing to accept the pain required to fix the present system?

Posted by TheEgoHasLanded:

It is basically all the privates playing for one state championship correct? So if that is the case, how do we determine seeding? Ezell Harding might beat all the 2a and 3a patsies, but that isnt nearly as good as BA beating BHS...the numbers dont add up ELA for private schools...unless I have just completely missed it.

You can have two or three classes within the private schools and three, four, or five classes in the public schools. The point is, you do away with regions all together! You crown the best over all EAST AND WEST TENNESSEE CHAMPION IN EACH CLASS and have the fight it out for the state title... then allow the top public and private schools in the state to play in one more game for bragging rights and some state or national charity. Everybody wins! You allow the weaker teams (5-5, 6-4) to play in an 11th week bowl game to raise money, you improve the playoffs by doing away with stupid matchups, you crown the best public and private schools in each class and then they are allowed to play one more bowl game! The TSSAA can work it out where they make even more money and every team can schedule whomever they like for all 10 games!

[Edited by ELA on 8-31-02 9:53P]

Posted by ELA:

ELA's PLAN:

ELA, Great concept, but some major problems.

* EAST/WEST private school championship. Who is in East and who is in West? 85% of all private schools are in Nashville and to the west.

* Playoff seedings. I can see the first thing that would happen would be a first round matchup between Cloudland and Moore County, or Memphis Westside and Huntland -- tremendous travel for a first round game.

* Biggest issue however is the final Private vs. Public school championship. A 16th game for high school? But here is the scenerio.

This year Brentwood Academy will probably win the Div II championship. They'll win this game before 2,500 people at Vanderbilt with no state-wide television or radio coverage.

In Div I, Riverdale or Maryville (could be anyteam - just picking these for this post) wins before 15,000 people and with state-wide television and radio coverage.

The Div I champ has won a championship over a field of teams that is 3-4 times bigger than the field Brentwood Academy had to face.

Now you're asking the Div I champ to turn right around and be excited about playing a game that will have a smaller crowd and a game against a team that can give as much financial aid as they want and play a 16th game?

Posted by yellowdog:
Posted by ELA:

ELA's PLAN:

ELA, Great concept, but some major problems.

* EAST/WEST private school championship. Who is in East and who is in West? 85% of all private schools are in Nashville and to the west.

* Playoff seedings. I can see the first thing that would happen would be a first round matchup between Cloudland and Moore County, or Memphis Westside and Huntland -- tremendous travel for a first round game.

* Biggest issue however is the final Private vs. Public school championship. A 16th game for high school? But here is the scenerio.

This year Brentwood Academy will probably win the Div II championship. They'll win this game before 2,500 people at Vanderbilt with no state-wide television or radio coverage.

In Div I, Riverdale or Maryville (could be anyteam - just picking these for this post) wins before 15,000 people and with state-wide television and radio coverage.

The Div I champ has won a championship over a field of teams that is 3-4 times bigger than the field Brentwood Academy had to face.

Now you're asking the Div I champ to turn right around and be excited about playing a game that will have a smaller crowd and a game against a team that can give as much financial aid as they want and play a 16th game?

Agree with most of your logic here, but the attendance one is ludicrous. Check the TSSAA website to see what the attendance was for the clinic bowl last time BA and Riverdale played for the 5A title. You don't think people would come to see that game?