What can be done to get more top teams to the duals?

maj

I know this has been kicked around before but knowing Ooltewah is going to be staying home next weekend while some other region champs and runners up teams who would not get within 25 points of them in a dual meet format just doesn't seem right. Is there no way a couple of slots can't he added for some type of " wild card " placement in the stacked regions for future tournaments ?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this has been kicked around before but knowing Ooltewah is going to be staying home next weekend while some other region champs and runners up teams who would not get within 25 points of them in a dual meet format just doesn't seem right. Is there no way a couple of slots can't he added for some type of " wild card " placement in the stacked regions for future tournaments ?

Ohhhhhh maj, I would think that you would know better than to ask such a question... /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

They lost to Soddy and they lost to Cleveland..... its 2 and out...... everyone else gets the same chance they do.

You asking for Ooletwah to get a wildcard is like a rich man begging for charity.

The rich man KNOWS he doesnt need any handouts and I'm sure Ooltewah knows that too.

good luck in the future to the OWLS!!! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Ohhhhhh maj, I would think that you would know better than to ask such a question... /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

They lost to Soddy and they lost to Cleveland..... its 2 and out...... everyone else gets the same chance they do.

You asking for Ooletwah to get a wildcard is like a rich man begging for charity.

The rich man KNOWS he doesnt need any handouts and I'm sure Ooltewah knows that too.

good luck in the future to the OWLS!!! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

The same chance? Please remind me of the other teams that had to get past Soddy and Cleveland to qualify?

tnko, I know what your saying but do you really believe that Ooltewahs chance is equal and fair. Do you think there are teams going to Clarksville that the OWLS could beat. What about Walker Valley? How can you call it a state duals when all our states best teams are not competeing. Just a thought going back to your fairness doctrine. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

tnko, I know what your saying but do you really believe that Ooltewahs chance is equal and fair. Do you think there are teams going to Clarksville that the OWLS could beat. What about Walker Valley? How can you call it a state duals when all our states best teams are not competeing. Just a thought going back to your fairness doctrine. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Until the TSSAA makes it different its as fair as it is going to get. There are teams not coming that can probably beat Mt Juliet but they didnt get it done in their own region or the #2 corresponding region. Mt Juliet showed up to region 8 and won their matches. Its getter done or 2 and out.

But please dont come on here and talk down other teams in other regions because of something that is totally out of their hands.....

It takes away from their accomplishments... /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I only used MJ as an example...... did not mean to offend anyone. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I hope they win it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its not the same chance. It is not even close. I was being kind in saying some of these teams wouldn't get within 25 points of the Owls. Ooltewah is probably a top 5 team, certainly a top 10 who would at least provide competitive matches in Clarksville, but they are sitting at home. I don't have all the answers but off the top of my head region champs , even the weak ones get an automatic in, but some other criteria should be used for the remaining slots. In my opinion two choices exist, either change qualifying criteria or expand. I guess there is a third, realign so the perenial powerhouses are spread through out the state with no regard to geography. Maybe Ooltewah goes to region 1 type thing. Looking at the realignment for next year, what would you say the odds of William Blount or Maryville EVER going to Clarksville again are ? True both programs are down at the moment but at one time they were top 10 or so and even if they ever get to a top 10 position again, their chances of wrestling for a dual title are nill. Bradley and Cleveland will take all the availble spots. I for one would like to see the tournament expanded so there is no doubt the top 16 teams are there. If that means we need to expand the bracket to 24 or have some pig tail type thing then it should at least be considered. Question..... did interest in NCAA basketball increase or decrease when the field was expanded to 64 ? Does Tennessee want to grow wrestling or not ? The addition of the small school duals and the expansion of same was a big plus for TN wrestling. I for one believe the time has come to do similar expansion for the large schools.

The same chance? Please remind me of the other teams that had to get past Soddy and Cleveland to qualify?

None but would you like a wildcard as the 3rd team in your region when there are 4 regions only getting to send 1?

They dont have people on here asking for just any inkling of hope for some gimme because they are good too or at least they think they are.

No one from Hunters lane, Dickson, or South Doyal are complaining..... they know they lost and are just preparing their kids for the individuals at state... they have accepted it and moved on. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I wish that some Chatt-area teams were more humble and didnt feel so entitled.

None but would you like a wildcard as the 3rd team in your region when there are 4 regions only getting to send 1?

They dont have people on here asking for just any inkling of hope for some gimme because they are good too or at least they think they are.

No one from Hunters lane, Dickson, or South Doyal are complaining..... they know they lost and are just preparing their kids for the individuals at state... they have accepted it and moved on. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I wish that Chatt-area teams were more humble.

I am not sure what part of this equation you are missing. This has nothing to do with humility and I have NO connection to Ooltewah so they are not complaining.

What we have going on at the duals is the equivilent of seeding an individual tournament by taking seeds 1-8 and putting them on one side of the bracket while 9-16 go to the other. Sure the # 1 one guy should still come out on top, though it is a much harder road but the runnerup and at least half the other placers may not even be in the top 10. The real #3 is in the stands because he went 2 and out on the loaded side of the bracket.

Its not the same chance. It is not even close. I was being kind in saying some of these teams wouldn't get within 25 points of the Owls. Ooltewah is probably a top 5 team, certainly a top 10 who would at least provide competitive matches in Clarksville, but they are sitting at home. I don't have all the answers but off the top of my head region champs , even the weak ones get an automatic in, but some other criteria should be used for the remaining slots. In my opinion two choices exist, either change qualifying criteria or expand. I guess there is a third, realign so the perenial powerhouses are spread through out the state with no regard to geography. Maybe Ooltewah goes to region 1 type thing. Looking at the realignment for next year, what would you say the odds of William Blount or Maryville EVER going to Clarksville again are ? True both programs are down at the moment but at one time they were top 10 or so and even if they ever get to a top 10 position again, their chances of wrestling for a dual title are nill. Bradley and Cleveland will take all the availble spots. I for one would like to see the tournament expanded so there is no doubt the top 16 teams are there. If that means we need to expand the bracket to 24 or have some pig tail type thing then it should at least be considered. Question..... did interest in NCAA basketball increase or decrease when the field was expanded to 64 ? Does Tennessee want to grow wrestling or not ? The addition of the small school duals and the expansion of same was a big plus for TN wrestling. I for one believe the time has come to do similar expansion for the large schools.

Maj-It's a rollercoaster for most teams except BC over the last 20 years. Just a few years ago Overton, Franklin etc were state powers. The owls are living in the moment. State powers change BC has been the exception over the the current timeperiod. The Owls were not even on the wrestling radar until you had a coach step in and change the program. I remember reading the article when their coach took over the program. Before that Chattanooga Central ruled the Owls in wrestling. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Cleveland was down just a few years ago. Red Bank, East Ridge and others have been where the owls are now.

IMHO-It's the luck of the draw. Heck I'm sure Cookeville would like to be out of that region and have a shot at state.

I thought the same thing you did when I saw the Owls had to wrestle Cleveland but those Regions are blessed with talent and great tradition. Enjoy it while it last. Ask Franklin about the good ole days.

Maj-It's a rollercoaster for most teams except BC over the last 20 years. Just a few years ago Overton, Franklin etc were state powers. YOu are living in the moment. State powers change BC has been the exception over the the current timeperiod. The Owls were not even on the wrestling radar until you had a coach step in and change the program. I remember reading the article when your coach took over the program. Before that Chattanooga Central ruled the Owls in wrestling. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Cleveland was down just a few years ago. Red Bank, East Ridge and others have been where the owls are now.

IMHO-It's the luck of the draw. Heck I'm sure Cookeville would like to be out of that region and have a shot at state.

I thought the same thing you did when I saw the Owls had to wrestle Cleveland but those Regions are blessed with talent and great tradition. Enjoy it while it last. Ask Franklin about the good ole days.

Fair enough though I see your observations as supporting my suggestion to change the criteria for the non region winners who qualify.

Fair enough though I see your observations as supporting my suggestion to change the criteria for the non region winners who qualify.

[/qugote]

A few years ago one of the Middle TN Teams was saying the same thing.

However you are correct some regional Champs will find out they are over there head. When my older son was at Farragut they ended up winning

region 3 out of the 4 years he was there.(4th yr didn't want to go) /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> While he was there they had 10 grapplers make it to the finals and I think 7 won state. Howevr the team was not strong top to bottom and I think they never placed better than 6th.

I wish that some Chatt-area teams were more humble and didnt feel so entitled.

Some would consider those other regions as (gimmes). You go back through tournament bracketts and look at how many 3 seeds from our regions dominate 1 seeds from other regions at the state tournament. I'm not saying that theres not top flight wrestlers elsewhere because there are plenty. I think that this years state tournament will bear that out. What i'm talking about is the depth of wrestling tallent is stronger in our regions along with Chattanooga area teams. I didn't name any teams, I don't have too. The rest of the state already knows this information, I think what upsets you is that we get on here and say it out loud. I'm just telling you my thoughts through this computer but i can give you plenty of examples of out of zone kids at other schools, I've got one of them. If Hixson High had all the students in this area they were supposed to get, the tallent level would be enormous. I mean LOADED, Bradley LOADED. Rigger, your right about the cycles and over the next few years i see the Nashville area having more depth, Memphis has some strong kids coming out also. I personally think Chattanooga is at the end of a cycle not to say we still want have some strong teams and alot of individuals but the tallent will become more spread out. I love what Mr. Kennedy has done with the Sharpshooters and that is going to speak volumes with the Blackmon program. Rabbit Turner has a real strong group of kids that will hit over the next 2 to 3 years also, so Soddy will be back on an upswing. Red Bank, East Ridge, Central thats a different story, all have great Coaches but the culture and demographics of those schools has changed. I bet most people don't realize Red Bank has gone from around 1400 kids when I was in school there to about 700-800 kids, the community itself is old and alot of the students get bused to the school. Then they built a hugh school on Signal Mtn that has taken most of the students out of Red Bank. Nashville will enjoy getting Jessie Register as their new Super up there, I'm laughing out loud. He has destroyed our public schools so now Chattanooga is made up of about 100 small Christian schools and the regular public schools. Just something to think about.