No more Diamond pictures?

DelTavian

With the stepping up from the TSSAA to enforce the safety rules on high school diamonds there may be few or no pictures of high school baseball and softball in the future. I know I for one will not shoot through a fence for anything.

Will schools mark the spot on the field known as a media box? I know many that will not because they do not want the dead ball area on the field for fear it will cost them a play.

Will schools find some other way to give the camera a view? I'd suggest for all schools to build a "Media" platform just outside the fence on the first base side that would allow photographers to stand outside the fence but above the fence to shoot pictures. Then all they have to do is duck if a ball comes their way and they will not be in the field of play to cost a team an out.

Will there be some other solution?

Or will there be no more high school baseball and softball pictures in the papers and on the web sites? Something will have to be done in order to meet everyone's needs or there will be little or no pictures.

DL.

With the stepping up from the TSSAA to enforce the safety rules on high school diamonds there may be few or no pictures of high school baseball and softball in the future. I know I for one will not shoot through a fence for anything.

Will schools mark the spot on the field known as a media box? I know many that will not because they do not want the dead ball area on the field for fear it will cost them a play.

Will schools find some other way to give the camera a view? I'd suggest for all schools to build a "Media" platform just outside the fence on the first base side that would allow photographers to stand outside the fence but above the fence to shoot pictures. Then all they have to do is duck if a ball comes their way and they will not be in the field of play to cost a team an out.

Will there be some other solution?

Or will there be no more high school baseball and softball pictures in the papers and on the web sites? Something will have to be done in order to meet everyone's needs or there will be little or no pictures.

DL.

Simple suggestion...have the photographer bring something to stand on rather than having every school build a media platform. Most schools won't give a nickel to their baseball programs, let alone provide the media "perks".

Simple suggestion...have the photographer bring something to stand on rather than having every school build a media platform. Most schools won't give a nickel to their baseball programs, let alone provide the media "perks".

That won't work in every situation since photographers come in all sizes. Some are small and round and while a metal folding chair will hold me it doesn't mean the chair will be tall enough....especially if the ground is soft and the chair sinks some.

I don't have a problem with the rule, I'm just trying to figure out a solution. I know my paper won't run pictures shot through fence. I'm sure the big papers won't either and I'm not going put stuff like that on my web site.

DL.

Del' - how long did that poster last ya? /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Have you thought of a 'camera crane' ? Saw MBA using one at the Riverdale football game last fall. he stood on the ground and looked through a view finder and 'drove' the camera that was up on a telescoping 'arm'

I found a web-site with some examples:

http://www.cameracranes.us/

If you ever come to Riverdale I can show you some places to get some unobstructed views /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Del' - how long did that poster last ya? /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Have you thought of a 'camera crane' ? Saw MBA using one at the Riverdale football game last fall. he stood on the ground and looked through a view finder and 'drove' the camera that was up on a telescoping 'arm'

If you ever come to Riverdale I can show you some places to get some unobstructed views /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I am not a professional photographer. I am just a parent, I take fairly decent pictures "thru the fence" thru the holes . What is the deal about not taking baseball and softball pictures. I have taken pictures from outside the "fence " from first and third base as well as behind the back stop. I know another lady that takes pictures all the time and the paper puts them in. Is this just a "bann" on the media photographers or is it all picture taking? I haven't heard anything about it yet, but then season hasn't started either. Just wondering.

I am not a professional photographer. I am just a parent, I take fairly decent pictures "thru the fence" thru the holes . What is the deal about not taking baseball and softball pictures. I have taken pictures from outside the "fence " from first and third base as well as behind the back stop. I know another lady that takes pictures all the time and the paper puts them in. Is this just a "bann" on the media photographers or is it all picture taking? I haven't heard anything about it yet, but then season hasn't started either. Just wondering.

There's no ban on taking pictures. There's just stricter rules on who can be on the field due to some law suits where folks have been injured with foul balls and such. The TSSAA is enforcing rules that keeps everyone off the field that doesn't need to be there, keeps players in dugouts and keeps media/cameramen in a designated media spot on the field. The trouble is that many coaches don't want to chalk off a spot inside the field for a photographer because that then becomes a dead area so if a ball comes in the spot....like a pop up...then the play is dead. It could cost a team an important out because I can't just step out of the way and let the player make the catch. If it happens in that circle the play is dead. Plus I'm not allowed by the officials to move out of the circle. If I do then they have the right to tell me I'm done for the day inside the field.

But you can take all the pictures you want through the fence. No bans or problems there. I'm just not going to it.

DL.

Still got it but a couple of corners are torn due to getting hit with the ball a time or two. I've seen the cranes before and considered them for some aerial shots for other things.

I'm not going to shoot as much high school anyway because of the economy. It's a lot of work and no payoff. High school parents don't like their kids as much. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> I'm even going to cut back some on the little ones and try to just go where I know I've got buying customers. Otherwise I just need to go fishing.

How's the world treating you Dave?

DL.

Still got it but a couple of corners are torn due to getting hit with the ball a time or two. I've seen the cranes before and considered them for some aerial shots for other things.

I'm not going to shoot as much high school anyway because of the economy. It's a lot of work and no payoff. High school parents don't like their kids as much. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> I'm even going to cut back some on the little ones and try to just go where I know I've got buying customers. Otherwise I just need to go fishing.

How's the world treating you Dave?

DL.

Baseball is almost here so world treating me great! Hope same can be said for you! Amazed the banner is still holding up. Be sure to come by and say hi! if ever in the Boro and I am at a Riverdale or MTSU game.

First I heard of the new enforcement of media. I will chat with Coach about it this weekend..... Thanks for the heads up!

There's no ban on taking pictures. There's just stricter rules on who can be on the field due to some law suits where folks have been injured with foul balls and such. The TSSAA is enforcing rules that keeps everyone off the field that doesn't need to be there, keeps players in dugouts and keeps media/cameramen in a designated media spot on the field. The trouble is that many coaches don't want to chalk off a spot inside the field for a photographer because that then becomes a dead area so if a ball comes in the spot....like a pop up...then the play is dead. It could cost a team an important out because I can't just step out of the way and let the player make the catch. If it happens in that circle the play is dead. Plus I'm not allowed by the officials to move out of the circle. If I do then they have the right to tell me I'm done for the day inside the field.

But you can take all the pictures you want through the fence. No bans or problems there. I'm just not going to it.

DL.

Thanks. I understand what your were saying now. We depend on the parents to send pics to the newspaper here. Small town, small schools, newspaper once a week...you know. Last year was our first year of high school ball. I have one that plays on the middle school here too. I love baseball. I noticed one of the guys on here was talking about the mtsu games... i was a major fan back during my college days at middle, that was the during the time of Barry Vetter, George Zimmerman, tim goff, garl fugate, in the late 80's. I went to evey game at home and several away. I had friends that played, so I had to go support them. I was glad when my son's loved the game too. My son's both play first base, and a little pitching. My oldest is 6' 5 1/2 so he can basically step and hand the ball back to the pitcher. We all laugh at it. When he stretches for the ball it is so funny because of his reach. sorry, mom is a little proud. thanks again for the info. Good luck to all the teams

Del, will they allow you to shoot from inside the dugout? If not, perhaps stacking a couple of those plastic milk boxes would make for decent elevation. In a pinch, you might grab a plastic bucket from the dugout and flip it over.

"How big a boy are you?" - Roy D. Mercer.

Plastic isn't going to hold my....cough cough....small frame....cough cough. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I don't think the dugout deal is going to work either because you're not protected. Plus that may be the only place for the coaches to sit to call pitches and such.

DL.