Region 6

Guest toughasnails

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to disagree. How long has he been there without winning the region? And what would be different now that would help him win the region? I can't recall any real regional contenders from FRA other than Wipperman and Sanders(if that is his name).

I see the top 5 being Overton, Hillsboro, Lipscomb, FRA, and MLK. And as far as the regional tourney goes, I'd go with Overton, Hillsboro, MLK, Lipscomb, FRA. What does everyone else think?

Who are some of the better wrestlers coming back this year in region six? We all know the Overton guys,who else? there has to be more to this region than just Overton.there are eighteen schools in this region.Lets hear about some of the other quality wrestlers to look for this year.

I think what is different at FRA is that his kids finally believe in themselves. Coach Taylor inherited a program that was a perennial losing program. It has taken him years to eliminate the defeatest attitude they used to have. They are now confident in their abilities. He has grown the numbers to have a good pool from which to draw his lineup. I don't know if they can win the region this year, but he definately has a shot.

You've got the 103 and Henderson returning for Hillsboro. I think Henderson will take region his senior year. At FRA there's Wipperman, who's a definite favorite, and Sanders. Lipscomb graduated most of their strong wrestlers, but they should have some surprises. MLK is returning 2 region finalists: Byrd and Jenkins that both lost to seniors. McGavock is returning Pack who should take regions in my mind. Did I miss anyone?

There are a few others that I would mention, Johnson from Antioch placed third @ state @ 152 last year he should be pretty good this year. I know that he did a lot of wrestling in the off season. Hodge from NCS@135 is a pretty talented kid. Every 160# state qualifier from region 6 will be back. Vanderloop from Hillsboro was 1st in the region last year followed by Byrd of MLK and I think Martin of Overton was third aand Mitchell from McGavockwas fourth but I could have those two reversed. 160 should be a fun weight class to watch in region 6 this year if they all come back

at the same weight.Valentine fromlipscomb seemed to be pretty decent last year @ 171. I think all 5 of the kids that qualified for state from MLK Miller@119 Donahue @125 Coffin @140 Jenkins @145 and Byrd @160 will repeat as state qualifiers again I know that a few of them were working out with the local wrestling club in Nashville most of the spring. If I'm not mistaken that Coffin Kid got his hand broke at one of the workouts and I know he had to spend a little time on the mend.(rumor has it he put on quite a few pounds while he was healing some kids say it is muscle and some say it

could be pizza.)

FRA will definitely be tougher this year than in years past. As far as Overton goes, they'll return some tough guys, including a number of guys who were injured or consistently fought for starting positions last year. Returners: (according to last year's weights) Gudar Abdullatif (103), Lyle Eden (103), Ari Ibrahim (112), Jonathan Drinkwine (125) Aaron Brewster (130), Eric Martin (160), Larry Davis (171-189), Darnell Hayes (Hwt). I'm not sure if that's all of them, but they are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

As far as the losses, that's nothing new. Every year Overton loses a lot of seniors. That's just the downside to senior leadership. From 2000-2001 they lost a whole bunch of guys, I think 7. That included 3 placers, one finalist, 2 guys who made it to the quarters, and Mike Guider (who moved to Florida and became a state favorite there).

Yes. They've lost a number of wrestlers, and I'm not sure how much that will hurt them. But there is one thing I DO know. That is that FRA will most certainly be tough this year, and if Overton doesn't watch out then they might actually surprise them. Overton had better not get cocky

This pound puppy person who talks like fra will run away with region this year obvioiusly has some kind of problem . Nothing personal against the Coach but fra won't run away with the title . They will have some decent kids as always but how many people do they have returning as state qualifiers . I can think of only the 119 and 171 pounders and they are tough kids but they dont have the tools to get it done . And as far as state place winners go in region 6 goes Gudar Abdullatif , Ari Ibrahim , Drinkwine and Brewster can all get it done they are all really tough and work like they are possessed in practice they are the first in the room and the last ones out , and give 110% all the time so they are my choices from region 6.

So have a good one pound puppy and have fun on the mat. Peace ;)

I was at the Army wrestling clinic at harding academy this weekend,and saw several wrestlers from different region 6 schools. The kids I saw looked to be much improved. There were about 8 Overton Kids at the clinic and they all looked like they had been working pretty hard over the summer. I still think FRA has a chance to take the region 6 title this year, but it looks like Overton is going to be the team to beat.

Posted by CoachGonyeaSHS:

Hey TnMat...what happened to your website...will it be back up before the season begins?

Yes. I've been working hard to upgrade the site over the summer and research for rankings, as well as a new email service and better message board system. And since I'm expanding it to a 25 team ranking in DI, it's taking me longer.

The reason it hasn't been up is because when I switched servers I lost everything in the process. It is partly up now. You can now start up the talk on the new message boards (which also include chat and I.M.) and you can get email.

PS: For those who don't have a clue what we're talking about, you can access this site at http://www.tnmat.net