Best 10 defensive teams in AAA

MIDTN

These teams are ranked by fewest points allowed per game through 2/4/08. Only teams in the CoachT top 25 were considered.

1. McGavock 34.6

2. Brentwood 34.73

3. Millington 35.11

4. Walker Valley 35.96

5. Bartlett 37.82

6. Mt Juliet 38.75

7. Hillsboro 38.85

8. Bearden 38.95

9. Smyrna 39.71

10. Tennessee 39.85

In case you're curious, Memphis Central was 24th at 49.73 per game.

These teams are ranked by fewest points allowed per game through 2/4/08. Only teams in the CoachT top 25 were considered.

1. McGavock 34.6

2. Brentwood 34.73

3. Millington 35.11

4. Walker Valley 35.96

5. Bartlett 37.82

6. Mt Juliet 38.75

7. Hillsboro 38.85

8. Bearden 38.95

9. Smyrna 39.71

10. Tennessee 39.85

In case you're curious, Memphis Central was 24th at 49.73 per game.

To quote a famous NBA analyst Kenny ???The Jet??? Smith:

There are three kinds of lies:

??? Regular Lies

??? D@??? Lies

??? Stats

However, in regards to the defensive efforts of Bartlett and Millington: Their defenses have been their constant over the past years. Bartlett has ALWAYS been a defensive minded team. People focus on the offensive skill set of James but very little credit has been given to their team oriented stifling defense which allows them to stay in games until late in the fourth quarter. Of course at that juncture of a game James can facilitate the team to a win.

Millington is another defensive minded team that uses it defense to help generate their offense. This is without a doubt why both of these teams represented the West last year in the state tournament. Expect BOTH of these teams to really lock down on opponents as the post season gets underway.

Expect to see different defensive looks throughout post season from both teams that will include full court, half court traps, half court foot in the lane and an array of match up zones that are geared toward covering the middle while still closing out on shooters.

I am surprised not to see Oak Ridge on this list???????

Just curious about something. The teams that these defensive-minded teams have lost to, or have played close...how many points did those teams score? If they played better teams I wonder if the points scored would go up, or if their defense is as good even against really good competition. My point is that many of these teams play a lot of less talented teams during their schedule--teams that aren't capable of scoring that much anyway, even with good (but not necessarily great) defense. I only know a little about the Memphis area, but this may be why Central is farther down on the list--I think they have played more teams that are better all around teams (especially in their district), who can score more points than the bulk of the teams Millington or Bartlett has played. Don't worry DU--I'm not saying anything bad about Millington or Bartlett--but you have to admit, teams 3-8 in 14AAA are significantly weaker teams that would have a hard time putting up many points against any good team. Central has to face several teams in their district who have players that routinely put up 20-30 points a game by themselves, even with good defense on them. Of course Bartlett and Millington have their Jasmines who routinely do this as well, but the other 14AAA teams don't have players who do that every night. Just wondering...I'm thinking this is one of those places where the stats make things look a certain way, but that is not really the true picture.

Just curious about something. The teams that these defensive-minded teams have lost to, or have played close...how many points did those teams score? If they played better teams I wonder if the points scored would go up, or if their defense is as good even against really good competition. My point is that many of these teams play a lot of less talented teams during their schedule--teams that aren't capable of scoring that much anyway, even with good (but not necessarily great) defense. I only know a little about the Memphis area, but this may be why Central is farther down on the list--I think they have played more teams that are better all around teams (especially in their district), who can score more points than the bulk of the teams Millington or Bartlett has played. Don't worry DU--I'm not saying anything bad about Millington or Bartlett--but you have to admit, teams 3-8 in 14AAA are significantly weaker teams that would have a hard time putting up many points against any good team. Central has to face several teams in their district who have players that routinely put up 20-30 points a game by themselves, even with good defense on them. Of course Bartlett and Millington have their Jasmines who routinely do this as well, but the other 14AAA teams don't have players who do that every night. Just wondering...I'm thinking this is one of those places where the stats make things look a certain way, but that is not really the true picture.

It also helps when you have 3 or 4 that can drop 12 to 20 on any given night. And it depends on a coaches philosophy of when to sub for starters when you are up 38 to 13 in the 3rd. Your jv playing anothers varsity. you might still win 68 to 48 but your jv gave up the majority of the points...and still outscored the other varsity.

... it depends on a coaches philosophy of when to sub for starters when you are up 38 to 13 in the 3rd. Your jv playing anothers varsity. you might still win 68 to 48 but your jv gave up the majority of the points...and still outscored the other varsity.

You are so right about this. It is interesting to see coaches' philosophy about this. Some coaches run the score up by 50 and then let their bench get in the last minute of the game or so. Some coaches go up by 8 in the 1st quarter and then feel like the game is won and put in their bench (sometimes to their detriment!) to try to hold on.

You are so right about this. It is interesting to see coaches' philosophy about this. Some coaches run the score up by 50 and then let their bench get in the last minute of the game or so. Some coaches go up by 8 in the 1st quarter and then feel like the game is won and put in their bench (sometimes to their detriment!) to try to hold on.

my own general rule is 20 up in first half (doesn't happen often enough for us) subs play till on 12, starters in till 25 in third the bench plays rest. Never allow score to get below 15 from that point....I have a list of 5 schools that I felt have ran the score up by pressing and still have starters in with 20 plus lead in last 2 minutes. If I ever get the chance to beat them by 50 I will....

Here's a deeper look. Melrose, a better than average team, is averaging 62.95 per game. Against Central they scored 63 per game in two games. Against Millington, they scored 42. Come tourney time, when the rim seems to get smaller, I think that matters. It's not just the average. It's how a team scores against you compared to everyone else they play. I have never seen a team that plays good defense "when they need to".

You are totally correct ReboundM: that??™s why I started my original post out with the quote about stats being misleading (and thanks for the correction on the quote Raider7). Stats definitely can be misleading.

However: Let??™s take a look at Millington. They have played 27 games of which only 9 of those have been district 14AAA with only Raleigh Eygpt and Craigmont being just flat out none challenging. However: the same exact type of bottom tier teams exist in every district. For example 16AAA has Kingsbury (4 ??“ 17) and Whitehaven (6 ??“ 10) or for 15AAA Kirby (4 -17) and Germantown (2 ??“ 19) and Wooddale (4 ??“ 12). Everyone is going to have a couple of flat out weak teams in any district but unfortunately you have to play those games. So limiting lesser competition to fewer points is a given and I think we all have some of those games.

What I particularly agree with is what DragonM stated: Opponent scoring can be largely predicated on when the winning coaches pull their starters and how your JV players compete to close out the game.

If you view the last game that Bartlett played against Raleigh Egypt: Bartlett was actually up 35 points going into the fourth but only won by 18. The reserves gave up almost 20 points in the fourth quarter and RE ended up with a final score of 52 total points. Bartlett typically doesn??™t give that many total points up to a valid opponent and surely not RE.

Also, you have to take into account that a team like Memphis Central is looking to put up 75 points per game so they are looking to score early which naturally means your opponent is going to get MORE possessions and they will have additional opportunities to score which will result in MC giving up more points. (Basically a faster style of play ??“ more possessions for both teams)

Which I??™m definitely not attempting to suggest that one style of play is the correct way because I think the style of play depends on your personnel.

My original post was to state that BHS and MCHS have been known for limiting points over several years:

BHS points given up to opponents:

2006 ??“ 38.4 ppg

2007 ??“ 39.2 ppg

2008 ??“ 41.4 ppg

Currently this year 37.8 ppg

In summary ??“ You are correct RMaster: stats can be misleading if you don't look at all the factors.

Here's a deeper look. Melrose, a better than average team, is averaging 62.95 per game. Against Central they scored 63 per game in two games. Against Millington, they scored 42. Come tourney time, when the rim seems to get smaller, I think that matters. It's not just the average. It's how a team scores against you compared to everyone else they play. I have never seen a team that plays good defense "when they need to".

Great points MidT??¦.. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />