should there be district individual tournaments?

ramseyl

With a return of large regions, should TSSAA look at having district t'ments where the top four qualify for the region, and then the top four in region qualify for state.

I believe this would give more opportunity to praise kids and grow the sport. In a sport that is often overlooked I think any thing that gives the kids more credit (district champion etc.) would be a good move.

In our region, we are going from a 11 team region where the top 3 get acknowledged (state advancement) to a 20 something team region where only the top 4 get recognition. This seems to be going in the opposite direction for growing a sport.

This could be done by simply adding one week to the season.

Have you see what Georgia is doing this year? It's the first year for us.

There are 8 regions in the state for A - 5A. Each region has a championship and the top 4 go to the sectional. A sectional has 4 regions in it. Top 8 from the sectionals go to state. Only division that doesn't have a sectional is 1A.

So now all classes have 16 man brackets for state and we trim a day off the traditional state tournament.

Personally I think the division of the state up into 8 regions was a great idea. Seems like its a pretty good break out for all sports and all classifications.

Hello Tennessee. I do still follow the sport in my home state and have seen a different style of wrestling in Texas. The sport here is growing, although overall technique is still lacking (I have seen more kids pinned with a trapped ankle 3/4 nelson this year than I have witnessed in my entire 24 year wrestling career). They are just growing the youth wrestling which will feed the high school wrestling.

Anyway, as far as this topic is concerned this is how it is done in TX for comparison. There are 32 districts, some with as few as 6 teams while others with as many as 10 teams) that feed 4 regions. Top 2 in districts qualify for 16 man regional bracket (the 3rd place athlete can challenge for true 2nd if he had not lost to the runner-up but still receives the 3rd place medal and points). Top 4 in region qualify for 16 man state bracket (I don't know if they do a true 4th or not). I believe they medal top 4 in the state. There are around 200 teams in the public division. The private and parochial schools have their own association to which they they belong.

i'll agree with Ramsey on this one. Most states have districts to qualify for regionals.This won't happen though because it means paying for referees and thats money out of the TSSAA's pocket.Also give me a breakdown of who should be in each district.

I think as far as refs the host schools usually pays the cost and it might actually give them another gate...As far as our region they have already divided it into two districts. Cookeville, Forrest, Friendship Christian, and Eagleville would have to be included though because they are only in our dual region and not our individual region.

It might also save money on bus fees to shift more importance on districts, I don't know how I'm going to get every region team in with only 18 dates (four of which will go to t'ments). I guess there will be alot of quads next year.