District 1-AAA Tournament

tricitiessportsfan

D1-AAA/Big 9 Conference  

22 members have voted

1. 1. D1-AAA/Big 9 Conference

Coaching is not everything, it is just one part of the equation. If coaching were everything then THS would have made it to a sub state or state by now and same for SHHS. You need more than just two people to have a good team. The

IMAC has not had better teams just the ball has bounced their way and not ours. SHHS was what 1 second from beating West last year and one missed pick up the year before against Greenville. As for tonight, SHHS will pull another upset which sets up with them and South, yes i said South for the Championship tonight. They are are hot and so is SH.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coaching is not everything, it is just one part of the equation. If coaching were everything then THS would have made it to a sub state or state by now and same for SHHS. You need more than just two people to have a good team. The

IMAC has not had better teams just the ball has bounced their way and not ours. SHHS was what 1 second from beating West last year and one missed pick up the year before against Greenville. As for tonight, SHHS will pull another upset which sets up with them and South, yes i said South for the Championship tonight. They are are hot and so is SH.

Tommy...I am a system coach advocate. And I contend that every school around NET has rather equal talent. All of that talent may not be in participation but nonetheless the talent is there. Look at all the 3A schools playing up into the MLC. The new Watauga conference for '09 will rule. My point is that it takes a special individual to extract that talent; to magnetize it out of the ground. But it is there. In every school. Case in point; Morristown West Football since Coach Don Woods left.

Say what you will but in my view the coach is the whole ball of wax. The players or lack of are but apprentices of the person that will teach them how to walk through life...successfully or not.

Raw talent is nothing without supreme direction. And mediocre' ability is breathtaking with the right motivation.

Everyone has a view...I have a philosophy.

D1 #1 Sullivan Central

D2 #4 Jefferson Co.

Friday 2/27, 7:00 pm @ Sullivan Central

D2 #2 Cocke Co.

D1 #3 Tennessee High

Friday 2/27, 7:00 pm @ Cocke Co.

D2 #1 Morristown West

D1 #4 Sullivan South

Friday 2/27, 7:00 pm @ Morristown West

D1 #2 Science Hill

D2 #3 Greeneville

Friday 2/27, 7:00 pm @ Science Hill

So Central beats SH, without Moody, to win the tournament championship. And nobody on this thread has a word to say about it? Fantastic job by the Lady Cougars. Is Moody done? how bad is the knee?

C'mon. L. Ron Hubbard had a philosophy. I didn't buy his, either......................

/bored.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":bored:" border="0" alt="bored.gif" />

Tommy...I am a system coach advocate. And I contend that every school around NET has rather equal talent. All of that talent may not be in participation but nonetheless the talent is there. Look at all the 3A schools playing up into the MLC. The new Watauga conference for '09 will rule. My point is that it takes a special individual to extract that talent; to magnetize it out of the ground. But it is there. In every school. Case in point; Morristown West Football since Coach Don Woods left.

Say what you will but in my view the coach is the whole ball of wax. The players or lack of are but apprentices of the person that will teach them how to walk through life...successfully or not.

Raw talent is nothing without supreme direction. And mediocre' ability is breathtaking with the right motivation.

I agree. It is the system and the program building that sets teams apart. There are very few D1 athletes in East Tennessee girls' hoops. The teams that are most successful over time are the ones with the best combination of coaching and program building. Unicoi Co., Greeneville, Elizabethton, South Greene, and Cloudland have been the most successful this decade. Daniel Boone and Unaka have been very good excluding this year. Tennessee High has been good, but has not gone beyond the region. I think Science Hill and Hampton are building back to strength now. Unicoi has a great coach and one county program. Greeneville and Elizabethton have great programs and have won with several good head coaches each. South Greene is rebuilding their tradition from the Ricker years. Cloudland is very consistent. Most of the rest are up and down with no consistency.

I will happily grant you that the system is the major factor, but you still have to have the athletes to carry out the system. That's why most teams ebb and flow, up and down, to some extent, with the level of talent.

We are discussing this on a Big 9 thread, where lately there have been different teams rising to the top from time to time. Some of that has to do with coaching, some not. SH's success is due to the new coach coming in a few years ago, that had girls trying out that wouldn't try out for the previous coach. TN High's previous coach built the system back up, but there is a different coach there now. They're still on top partly because of the system, and partly because of the talent still there.