MBA BASKETBALL

theUmia90

I know a lot about the Celtic$. It's just sad to see how that program is run. The player development is poor. When their players go to college, you just don't hear about them anymore. It will be interesting to see how some of these guys pan out.

The word is that they are not really an Adidas team and are in fact trying to get sponsored by other shoe companies, but have been turned down. I've heard that from several sources.

First and foremost, the Celtics have nothing formally to do with MBA. Now, if you are an Adidas team you get an invite to the" It Takes 5 Classic " in Cinny and "Super 64" in Vegas. Did the Celtics? Yes. It is that simple. To say they are not a "real" Adidas team is reckless and hating. And the Celtics started and finished the season past with every player it started with and more.

Furthermore, to say they don't develop players is stupid. Go down their roster then check the scouting services. That statement is a joke. Faiths sounds like someone associated with a program that has no deal or is losing their deal. Why hate?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a lot about the Celtic$. It's just sad to see how that program is run. The player development is poor. When their players go to college, you just don't hear about them anymore. It will be interesting to see how some of these guys pan out.

The word is that they are not really an Adidas team and are in fact trying to get sponsored by other shoe companies, but have been turned down. I've heard that from several sources.

And what does the dollar sign mean "$"?

Actually, the "Adidas" tournaments are pretty much open to anybody that pays the entry fee. There aren't even 64 Adidas teams out there.

I'm not associated with any program. I've just seen how the Celtics do things, and it's very sad. I don't know how the YOMCA, Travelers, or Ballerz are run. As I understand it, the YOMCA and Travelers are the only teams with sponsorship in the state, and I don't think either of those teams are in any danger of losing that. I don't think the Ballerz are sponsored.

I have heard there is a new Reebok team in Nashville. Don't know if that's true or not.

Actually, the "Adidas" tournaments are pretty much open to anybody that pays the entry fee. There aren't even 64 Adidas teams out there.

I'm not associated with any program. I've just seen how the Celtics do things, and it's very sad. I don't know how the YOMCA, Travelers, or Ballerz are run. As I understand it, the YOMCA and Travelers are the only teams with sponsorship in the state, and I don't think either of those teams are in any danger of losing that. I don't think the Ballerz are sponsored.

I have heard there is a new Reebok team in Nashville. Don't know if that's true or not.

This is Alex Waddey. If you have a problem with the way the Celtics are run, please reveal who you are and let me know the issues you have. It is pretty cowardly to make such accusations while hiding behind a screen name.

The Celtics do things the correct way. If you disagree, contact me directly rather than spreading misconceptions. You obviously do not know much about the Celtics and their development of kids. Our kids go to college prepared. Gerald Robinson has started at TSU since he was a freshman. Josh Slater (Lipscomb), GW Boon (Bucknell), Scott Saunders (Rice now Belmont), DeMarion Williams (MTSU) and many others have all enjoyed success in their brief careers. Maybe you should talk with the kids before you make these statements.

We are not affiliated with any school, public or private. We have relationships with public and private schools all throughout the state of Tennessee. If public school coaches truly believed we were directing kids to MBA, then we would not be able to exist.

As for shoe deals, give me a break. I know what everyone gets or at least pretty close. And do the Celtics look at opportunities...of course...we would not be helping kids to the best of our ability if we didn't.

Your statememts are a prime example of the problem with spring/summer basketball.....reckless, incorrect, ignorant and self motivated. Tell me something that substantiates your claims.

OK Redtwin, I get that. But what about 2009 MBA basketball? And do you believe that David Howard should have been buried on the MBA depth chart? Do you think he could have helped your team this year? Or from a basketball standpoint, should he have enrolled at MBA next year and finished at Indy this year.

I think this year's team has done a fine job of exceeding people's expectations. Their record was better than the previous team's record, and they had wins over BA, Ryan, BGA, and Culleoka. They won 70% of their games, which is better than IHS' win percentage of 65%. I've never seen Mr. Howard play, but I trust the judgement of the coaches, teachers, and administrators at MBA, who have plenty of experience developing young men into successful students, athletes, and men, and I'm sure they had his best interest (as well as the team's best interest) in mind when any decisions about playing time were made. It sounds like he has the potential to be a very talented high school basketball player, but he is only a freshman, and I don't recall David Harrison starting on the varsity team as a freshman, and his career worked out just fine. It's not any of my business as to when the Howard boys enrolled at MBA, but I would encourage anyone who is interested in attending school there to get there as soon as possible because it is an awesome experience. The more time on The Hill, the better.

I think this year's team has done a fine job of exceeding people's expectations. Their record was better than the previous team's record, and they had wins over BA, Ryan, BGA, and Culleoka. They won 70% of their games, which is better than IHS' win percentage of 65%. I've never seen Mr. Howard play, but I trust the judgement of the coaches, teachers, and administrators at MBA, who have plenty of experience developing young men into successful students, athletes, and men, and I'm sure they had his best interest (as well as the team's best interest) in mind when any decisions about playing time were made. It sounds like he has the potential to be a very talented high school basketball player, but he is only a freshman, and I don't recall David Harrison starting on the varsity team as a freshman, and his career worked out just fine. It's not any of my business as to when the Howard boys enrolled at MBA, but I would encourage anyone who is interested in attending school there to get there as soon as possible because it is an awesome experience. The more time on The Hill, the better.

When I started this thread I had one simple question.

"Why is David Howard not playing at MBA?"

Not why is he not starting.

I did not ask about his AAU team.

Not MBA's winning percentage vs/v Independence.

Does anybody know why Coach Anglin doesn't feel David can help his team at all? He reportedly hasn't played more than 3 varsity minutes in 7 games. How is that possible on that team? And knowing his talent level, how could anyone at MBA advise others to follow in his path? GENTLEMEN-SCHOLAR-TRANSFER-BENCH Leave Independence and Williamson Co alone MBA.

This is a painful and sad thread to read.

For all of you that do not understand MBA, you must understand one thing clearly: athletics is a part of the MBA tradition, but it does not define the school. What defines the school is the unsurpassed education that is made available to the young men that set foot on The Hill. Every student must make the grades on a set curriculum that is more demanding than any other institution in this area. It is the love for education that sets MBA apart; not its success on the athletic fields. Athletics has in the past and will in the future always play second fiddle to academics. That was the case long before my time, and it will be the case long after my time; the board and the alumni will never allow anything but that. Young men come to MBA to get the best education possible in this area. Are competitive athletics a part of the equation? Yes they are; it is a nice addition to the over all experience.

If a young man has an opportunity to go there; he should. Simply stated, it is the best education available in this area for young men; it was that way in 1930, 1960, 1990, and it holds true today. That is neither misguided nor inaccurate; it is simply the truth. Are there other places for a good education in this area? Absolutely. Are there any options for a complete experience that rivals it here? In my opinion there are none.

Attending MBA will have a huge impact on this young man. When he walks off The Hill, he'll be able to go to the college of HIS choice based upon his education not just his athletic achievements. Why would you fault anyone for that decision? If I were a parent, why would I not want the best for my child? There are many young men that come to MBA from both Public and Private schools; some are athletes, but many are not. I have yet to hear a misguided, ridiculous, or inaccurate statement about the chemistry or physics studs that leave the public system and end up at MBA. Why is that?

I am off the soap box.

This is a painful and sad thread to read.

For all of you that do not understand MBA, you must understand one thing clearly: athletics is a part of the MBA tradition, but it does not define the school. What defines the school is the unsurpassed education that is made available to the young men that set foot on The Hill. Every student must make the grades on a set curriculum that is more demanding than any other institution in this area. It is the love for education that sets MBA apart; not its success on the athletic fields. Athletics has in the past and will in the future always play second fiddle to academics. That was the case long before my time, and it will be the case long after my time; the board and the alumni will never allow anything but that. Young men come to MBA to get the best education possible in this area. Are competitive athletics a part of the equation? Yes they are; it is a nice addition to the over all experience.

If a young man has an opportunity to go there; he should. Simply stated, it is the best education available in this area for young men; it was that way in 1930, 1960, 1990, and it holds true today. That is neither misguided nor inaccurate; it is simply the truth. Are there other places for a good education in this area? Absolutely. Are there any options for a complete experience that rivals it here? In my opinion there are none.

Attending MBA will have a huge impact on this young man. When he walks off The Hill, he'll be able to go to the college of HIS choice based upon his education not just his athletic achievements. Why would you fault anyone for that decision? If I were a parent, why would I not want the best for my child? There are many young men that come to MBA from both Public and Private schools; some are athletes, but many are not. I have yet to hear a misguided, ridiculous, or inaccurate statement about the chemistry or physics studs that leave the public system and end up at MBA. Why is that?

I am off the soap box.

I agree with most that you stated. And since you have an education from MBA, maybe you could try to answer my question. WHY is David Howard not playing? Does the coach think he can't help them out now? Are the players you have better than him? I hear the kid is smart. Are you saying that the only way he could go to the college of HIS choice is to attend MBA? THAT'S RIDICULOUS, SIR. Brendan the big guy at Father Ryan is going to Princeton.

Kyle from Brentwood High is said to be fielding an offer from Bucknell. A player from Memphis, MEMPHIS went to Duke last year and one will be attending Chapel Hill this year. MBA's merits are well earned. That's not the issue. The issue is WHY RECRUIT A PLAYER MIDSEASON AND SIT HIM. What about his emotions? He goes from a team of basketball players that he starts on. To a team of football players acting like basketball players and he can't get minutes? If you people are so smart on "The Hill" how could your coach not find a way to use this kid?

I don't think anyone can answer this question because there is none. So why recruit? David would go to college as prepared as any other student at MBA; even if he stayed at Independence. That's the truth of it all. Or he wouldn't be there now. If he is smart enough to go to MBA, he is probably smart enough attend good college after attending a public school without basketball or MBA.

I agree with most that you stated. And since you have an education from MBA, maybe you could try to answer my question. WHY is David Howard not playing? Does the coach think he can't help them out now? Are the players you have better than him? I hear the kid is smart. Are you saying that the only way he could go to the college of HIS choice is to attend MBA? THAT'S RIDICULOUS, SIR. Brendan the big guy at Father Ryan is going to Princeton.

Kyle from Brentwood High is said to be fielding an offer from Bucknell. A player from Memphis, MEMPHIS went to Duke last year and one will be attending Chapel Hill this year. MBA's merits are well earned. That's not the issue. The issue is WHY RECRUIT A PLAYER MIDSEASON AND SIT HIM. What about his emotions? He goes from a team of basketball players that he starts on. To a team of football players acting like basketball players and he can't get minutes? If you people are so smart on "The Hill" how could your coach not find a way to use this kid?

I don't think anyone can answer this question because there is none. So why recruit? David would go to college as prepared as any other student at MBA; even if he stayed at Independence. That's the truth of it all. Or he wouldn't be there now. If he is smart enough to go to MBA, he is probably smart enough attend good college after attending a public school without basketball or MBA.

wow

This is Alex Waddey. If you have a problem with the way the Celtics are run, please reveal who you are and let me know the issues you have. It is pretty cowardly to make such accusations while hiding behind a screen name.

The Celtics do things the correct way. If you disagree, contact me directly rather than spreading misconceptions. You obviously do not know much about the Celtics and their development of kids. Our kids go to college prepared. Gerald Robinson has started at TSU since he was a freshman. Josh Slater (Lipscomb), GW Boon (Bucknell), Scott Saunders (Rice now Belmont), DeMarion Williams (MTSU) and many others have all enjoyed success in their brief careers. Maybe you should talk with the kids before you make these statements.

We are not affiliated with any school, public or private. We have relationships with public and private schools all throughout the state of Tennessee. If public school coaches truly believed we were directing kids to MBA, then we would not be able to exist.

As for shoe deals, give me a break. I know what everyone gets or at least pretty close. And do the Celtics look at opportunities...of course...we would not be helping kids to the best of our ability if we didn't.

Your statememts are a prime example of the problem with spring/summer basketball.....reckless, incorrect, ignorant and self motivated. Tell me something that substantiates your claims.

Alex, you have to admit that it could easily be misconstrued that since you are a MBA graduate and have coached there as well, you just MIGHT have some influence over sending Celtics kids IN THIS AREA to MBA. I am not saying you do this, but surely you can see how someone might look at it that way.

However, the last thing you need to do is register on an anonymous message board to try to defend your name/actions. You are better than that. You cannot wrestle with pigs because you both get all muddy and only the pig likes it. Remember the first part of the creed says Gentleman. People that matter already know who/what you are about. Getting on here will not change that either way.