Official Single A Basketball Finalist

mboro

Class A Mr. Basketball Finalists

Reginald Buckner, Manassas

Wes Long, Summertown

Jeremy Sexton, Temple

I've seen Buckner and Sexton play. Please understand that I'm not saying Wes is not a great player (haven't seen him play), but to me that is a hard sale when your team is 19-8. Buckner and Sextons' teams have good records, I can't understand how both Charles and Tevin were overlooked. I feel like one of them should have gone on the ballot. I'm from the boldt, but how can you overlook a player from a top ranked team? This is just my opinion. What does everyone else think?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got to agree... if Charles or Tevin were excluded because of Sexton or Buckner I could understand... but I don't get Wes Long from Summertown being in it... I guess they had to have someone from middle tennessee with alot of points per game... If that was the case I'm suprised they didn't pick the Smith boy from Clarksville Academy... Like mboro said, I'm not knocking Long's game either, but he definetly is no where near the same level as the other two...

The only reasons I can think of them not putting Tevin or Charles on their is due to 1) the teams has really good players all around and 2) geography, they don't want two kids from the same area in it... although it would be rural plains west tenn and inner city memphis... dunno

Also, I really wouldn't have been suprised to see Avery from Lake Co up there either... but oh well... What you see is what you get... Buckner should win this vote by a mile...

I've got to agree... if Charles or Tevin were excluded because of Sexton or Buckner I could understand... but I don't get Wes Long from Summertown being in it... I guess they had to have someone from middle tennessee with alot of points per game... If that was the case I'm suprised they didn't pick the Smith boy from Clarksville Academy... Like mboro said, I'm not knocking Long's game either, but he definetly is no where near the same level as the other two...

The only reasons I can think of them not putting Tevin or Charles on their is due to 1) the teams has really good players all around and 2) geography, they don't want two kids from the same area in it... although it would be rural plains west tenn and inner city memphis... dunno

Also, I really wouldn't have been suprised to see Avery from Lake Co up there either... but oh well... What you see is what you get... Buckner should win this vote by a mile...

mm MR. BASKETBALL, not MR. I PLAY GOOD AND MY TEAM IS GOOD TOO. record has nothing to do with this. last time i checked one man doesnt win a game. which is basically what yall are saying. hey there team is not very good therefore he being a good player doesnt deserve any chance of winning an INDIVIDUAL award....

and by the way im not a summertown fan at all.

if they and their team are both THAT good they'll have a better chance of winning a much more VALUABLE award, and thats the STATE championship.

mm MR. BASKETBALL, not MR. I PLAY GOOD AND MY TEAM IS GOOD TOO. record has nothing to do with this. last time i checked one man doesnt win a game. which is basically what yall are saying. hey there team is not very good therefore he being a good player doesnt deserve any chance of winning an INDIVIDUAL award....

and by the way im not a summertown fan at all.

if they and their team are both THAT good they'll have a better chance of winning a much more VALUABLE award, and thats the STATE championship.

Please inform me on where in my post I mentioned what you said...

I agree a state title is much more important...but everyone doesn't look at it that way... I mean would you rather be a candidate for Mr. Basketball and get some college scholarship exposure to a small school, or would you like to be a sophmore on a team that never gets to play and win a state championship... I personally would like the first, but there are several out there who would prefer the latter... also If Mr. Basketball was classified by making your team a better team then several players would get this...

I am not exactly sure on what all exactly defines a Mr. Basketball candidate... but let's use Russell Avery from Lake Co. for example... Please define for me what all Wes Long for Summertown does for his team that a "Russell Avery" does not... I looked into the stats in the Tennessean and he was averaging something like 20 pts a game and shots a lot of threes it seems... he wasn't even the leading scorer in the district... Wait a minute there's another example what signifies giving Long the nod over the tall by from Collinwood... he has more ppg as well as rbg... I'm just saying it's hard to make a case for this kid to be a Mr. Basketball candidate, when there are so many more like him in the state... This really can't be said for Buckner or Sexton...

Coacht... Did you get to throw your vote in there... Who did you vote for...

Please inform me on where in my post I mentioned what you said...

I agree a state title is much more important...but everyone doesn't look at it that way... I mean would you rather be a candidate for Mr. Basketball and get some college scholarship exposure to a small school, or would you like to be a sophmore on a team that never gets to play and win a state championship... I personally would like the first, but there are several out there who would prefer the latter... also If Mr. Basketball was classified by making your team a better team then several players would get this...

I am not exactly sure on what all exactly defines a Mr. Basketball candidate... but let's use Russell Avery from Lake Co. for example... Please define for me what all Wes Long for Summertown does for his team that a "Russell Avery" does not... I looked into the stats in the Tennessean and he was averaging something like 20 pts a game and shots a lot of threes it seems... he wasn't even the leading scorer in the district... Wait a minute there's another example what signifies giving Long the nod over the tall by from Collinwood... he has more ppg as well as rbg... I'm just saying it's hard to make a case for this kid to be a Mr. Basketball candidate, when there are so many more like him in the state... This really can't be said for Buckner or Sexton...

Coacht... Did you get to throw your vote in there... Who did you vote for...

Even Legend will say Avery or Crayton should have got that spot!!!!

As a Summertown basketball fan - let me first say congratulations to all the nominees.

I want to especially congratulate Wes Long. Being named a Mr Basketball finalist is a big honor. Summertown is very proud for him.

Secondly - I am sure there were many deserving canditates that did not make the final three. The voters evidently thought Wes was a worthy candidate. I am not going to get on here and defend Wes being chosen as a finalist.

We all have opinions that we are free to express. So please talk about why your player deserves it and not why someone else doesn't.

i havnt seen summertown play, but i assume without him they wouldnt be near where they are today

But that can't be where the major contribution of the Mr. Basketball Candidates come from... if that were true... you would have to extend the list and add

Avery from LC

The tall kid from Collinwood

The guy from West Carroll

Smith from Clarksville Academy

Shausnessy from Grace Baptist

and so on... there are several players throughout the state that if you take them off their team they wouldn't be no where near as good...

But that can't be where the major contribution of the Mr. Basketball Candidates come from... if that were true... you would have to extend the list and add

Avery from LC

The tall kid from Collinwood

The guy from West Carroll

Smith from Clarksville Academy

Shausnessy from Grace Baptist

and so on... there are several players throughout the state that if you take them off their team they wouldn't be no where near as good...

ok, and how do you distinguish who is better than who? your being very biased, to what i assume is west tennessee, i know sosme of the schools arnt (collinwood, Clarksville acad) but it seems that is so. my question is to you is why is he not deserving? what has he done to not be worthy of being a finalist? im not disagreeing that someone is probably better, or more deserving, but i dont truly know that he isnt the top of the line. what makes HIM not worthy of this award?

ok, and how do you distinguish who is better than who? your being very biased, to what i assume is west tennessee, i know sosme of the schools arnt (collinwood, Clarksville acad) but it seems that is so. my question is to you is why is he not deserving? what has he done to not be worthy of being a finalist? im not disagreeing that someone is probably better, or more deserving, but i dont truly know that he isnt the top of the line. what makes HIM not worthy of this award?

Not saying he is not good, but you have to admit it's odd that a team could be ranked at the top of their class and not have a player that is deserving of that nomination. Thats all I am saying. Wes may be the best player in the state after Buckner, I don't know. You check any major sport and see where the MVP or player of the year comes from. They are normally from a team that either wins it all or pretty close to the top. I understand it doesnt matter, because Buckner should win it anyway, to me it's the principle of the matter. I will say congrats to all of the nominees, this is just my opinion.