Clarksville coach

Indian

I believe those testimonials on Coach Jordan and think he has made an extremely valuable contribution to Tennessee wrestling. It is obvious he has had an extremely positive impact on many peoples lives and that is invaluable when compared to this discussion.

I also think that some of the antics pointed out by the refs, other coaches, and Ward Gosset have a certain amount of validity.

I know many of the Chattanoooga refs and most are every bit as honorable as Coach Jordan and they feel equally as unappreciated in their efforts to be the best they can be.To have their credibility challenged feels the same as Coach J having his challenged. Many, IE Gilbert, Craft, Mike Parker(head of officials) are incredibly honest and honorable people and would get testemonials abound if attacked as Coach Jordan has and therefore some of the anger displayed by some at Coach J.

To sum up we all see things base on our particular circumstances and unfortunately this one blew up beyond what anyone wanted or expected. Im sure all involved would turn the clock back if able.

However its State individual Tourney is starting today and I think Coach Jordan has taken and absorbed a lot of heat and depends on your point of view if it is deserved or not.

However in my view its time for all to start a new beginning from here and try to turn this into a positive as both sides have made suggestions as to how to help this situation.

Good Luck to Coach Jordan and Clarksville, and EVERYONE at the State this week. Should be a great week.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a blog by one of the Leaf Chronicle sports writers from last week. Hopefully this gives some more insight on the issue.

It looks like the Clarksville paper is journalism whereas the Chattanooga rag is just that, a rag to attack a good man, who has given so much to middle TN wrestling and loves the sport!

Watch out Coach Simpson of Father Ryan you might be next to end up being attacked by this jerk.

Does anyone know who is stepping up to hold the State Duals next year?

I wrestled at the state duals 3 times in high school and he is right, all three years Clarksville wrestled on the same mat almost every single match right in front of their fans. To me that is a HUGE advantage over other schools! Clarksville's fans sit in the same place every year and I mean is their draw of mats really that good? Seems like a little bit of home cookin to me!

And Rigger your really a piece of work sitting here whining about Chattanooga teams having home field advantage in the Traditional Tourney. It's apples to oranges because one is in the same city the other is in a High School Teams OWN GYMS!!!!!! It never occurred to me that sleeping in another bed made that much of a difference during my wrestling days. As a matter of fact I loved heading to other places outside Chattanooga to wrestle because it was MUCH easier to focus on the job at hand and not be over at my girlfriend's house or staying on my computer to long. If the state Traditional was at McCallie, Baylor, Soddy, Cleveland or Bradley it would be a huge advantage so your comparison holds no water! Also Ref's are Ref's and if Jordan has a problem with who Ref's a match than his butt needs to step down as the coach and he can start reffing high school matches instead. They work for really low amounts of money and travel away from their friends and family and than get treated like garbage because they happen to be from a certain part of the state. They ref for the love of the sport which i have done and is harder than most realize. Gilbert who to me is maybe the best ref in the state took real exception to Jeff and his comments about Chattanooga ref's. Seems to me like he needs to keep his mouth shut a little more and just keep coaching. We have some of the best Ref's in the nation including a few that do the NCAA's but I guess if he was from Chattanooga Jeff might have a problem with him.

Good luck to all teams this week and hope everyone has safe travels and that all kids are able to walk away healthy after the tourney.

I wrestled at the state duals 3 times in high school and he is right, all three years Clarksville wrestled on the same mat almost every single match right in front of their fans. To me that is a HUGE advantage over other schools! Clarksville's fans sit in the same place every year and I mean is their draw of mats really that good? Seems like a little bit of home cookin to me!

And Rigger your really a piece of work sitting here whining about Chattanooga teams having home field advantage in the Traditional Tourney. It's apples to oranges because one is in the same city the other is in a High School Teams OWN GYMS!!!!!! It never occurred to me that sleeping in another bed made that much of a difference during my wrestling days. As a matter of fact I loved heading to other places outside Chattanooga to wrestle because it was MUCH easier to focus on the job at hand and not be over at my girlfriend's house or staying on my computer to long. If the state Traditional was at McCallie, Baylor, Soddy, Cleveland or Bradley it would be a huge advantage so your comparison holds no water! Also Ref's are Ref's and if Jordan has a problem with who Ref's a match than his butt needs to step down as the coach and he can start reffing high school matches instead. They work for really low amounts of money and travel away from their friends and family and than get treated like garbage because they happen to be from a certain part of the state. They ref for the love of the sport which i have done and is harder than most realize. Gilbert who to me is maybe the best ref in the state took real exception to Jeff and his comments about Chattanooga ref's. Seems to me like he needs to keep his mouth shut a little more and just keep coaching. We have some of the best Ref's in the nation including a few that do the NCAA's but I guess if he was from Chattanooga Jeff might have a problem with him.

Good luck to all teams this week and hope everyone has safe travels and that all kids are able to walk away healthy after the tourney.

Wow, where do I begin.

The real advantage of wrestling at home has nothing to do with the gym and everything to do with the geographical proximity (and in turn, the number) of fans. Wrestling at home means more home team fans. Logically, wrestling in Clarksville means more Clarksville fans will be present (though Bradley has always had as many if not more). You really think whether CHS wrestles directly in front of their fans or 30 feet to the left (the gym isn't hundreds of yards long or anything) makes all the difference? See: CHS vs. Cleveland.

Accepting that the only real home field advantage is number of fans (yeah yeah yeah, sleeping in their own beds, but I've already talked about how that fact is equalized by the time and effort the CHS wrestlers put into setting up for the duals), it would follow that more Chattanooga area team fans show up at UTC than other parts of the state, simply because of proximity. Continuing to pursue this train of logic, it would seem that Chattanooga teams have as much of a home gym advantage at traditional state as CHS does at the duals. If the duals were held at Kenwood (all the way on the other side of Clarksville), just as many CHS fans would show up. If the traditional tournament were held in Clarksville, you can go ahead and bet that more Clarksville fans would show up, and fewer Chattanooga fans would. Is it clear now? See how the comparison holds water? Let me know when you get it.

Before you attempt to call out one of the greatest wrestling coaches in the state and arguably the nation (see: national coach of the year), maybe you better take a good long look at your own list of accomplishments and expertise with regard to wrestling first. I guarantee Coach Jordan is a better man than you in every respect, so you might do well to keep your mouth shut a little more and do whatever it is you do (which hopefully isn't coaching).

Also, don't call him Jeff. Show some respect and call him Mr. Jordan or Coach. Kids these days, no manners.

Jon, You can never club someone into seeing your point of view. Coach Jordan taught you better than this! You are smarter than this posts makes you look, as well as some of your other recent ones. Use your head not your heart. Let other people hang themselves, like this guy was doing until you jumped in .

Sorry but I have always had respect for Jeff Jordan or Coach as you call him same as with any other coach in this state. I do not have to answer to you for that. But seems to me that using every advantage you have at YOUR home gym is a little to unfair to other schools when JJ has to whine about which ref's are used during his matches. I have also been coaching for many years and I do not have to have a national coach of the year beside my name to prove if i am a good coach or not. Coach Henry is the same and he even took up for JJ in the paper a few weeks back after all this went down. But I have wrestled in front of your fans since they are always wrestling on the same mat and it does make a huge difference no matter if you were wrestling the state duals at Kenwood.

Also I called out a man who as you say one of the GREATEST coaches in the state of TN because he continues to whine about things when they do not go his way. When was the last time Steve Henry or CL whined about who was reffing their matches? They seem to show up and wrestle, no games and no whining. Maybe your purple tinted glasses need to come off to see that maybe no one including coach Eslinger(who I hold in huge regard as a great coach and even greater person) need to just show up and wrestle. Ref's do not win or lose matches it is the wrestlers and if Clarksville was good enough to win on their own than it would not matter who the ref's were. As my GREAT coach always said take the ref's out of the match if you dominate you do not leave anything to human error.

As far as being a better man or the many other things you said about me. I do NOT have to answer to you I know who I am and what I have given to this sport and will continue to give to it but after years of looking up to COACH Jordan it really seems very petty of him for all of this and The national coach of the year should have his team ready to wrestle when they step on the mat instead of worrying about who the ref's might be. Also answer me a question? Has the ref in question ever been a ref before or is he new? Seems to me like he has a few years put into the profession! So if you do not like what I say you can kiss my A%% you seem pretty childish for saying someone you have no clue about is not a good person, the only fact that is certain is my soapbox seems to be alot smaller than JJ!!!!!!!!!!!! And if you want to talk about my accomplishments that is fine I will be at the state today even though I have no child in wrestling, have not been in school in years, but are there because this great sport gave so much to me and I have given just a little back.

Sorry but I have always had respect for Jeff Jordan or Coach as you call him same as with any other coach in this state. I do not have to answer to you for that. But seems to me that using every advantage you have at YOUR home gym is a little to unfair to other schools when JJ has to whine about which ref's are used during his matches. I have also been coaching for many years and I do not have to have a national coach of the year beside my name to prove if i am a good coach or not. Coach Henry is the same and he even took up for JJ in the paper a few weeks back after all this went down. But I have wrestled in front of your fans since they are always wrestling on the same mat and it does make a huge difference no matter if you were wrestling the state duals at Kenwood.

Also I called out a man who as you say one of the GREATEST coaches in the state of TN because he continues to whine about things when they do not go his way. When was the last time Steve Henry or CL whined about who was reffing their matches? They seem to show up and wrestle, no games and no whining. Maybe your purple tinted glasses need to come off to see that maybe no one including coach Eslinger(who I hold in huge regard as a great coach and even greater person) need to just show up and wrestle. Ref's do not win or lose matches it is the wrestlers and if Clarksville was good enough to win on their own than it would not matter who the ref's were. As my GREAT coach always said take the ref's out of the match if you dominate you do not leave anything to human error.

As far as being a better man or the many other things you said about me. I do NOT have to answer to you I know who I am and what I have given to this sport and will continue to give to it but after years of looking up to COACH Jordan it really seems very petty of him for all of this and The national coach of the year should have his team ready to wrestle when they step on the mat instead of worrying about who the ref's might be. Also answer me a question? Has the ref in question ever been a ref before or is he new? Seems to me like he has a few years put into the profession! So if you do not like what I say you can kiss my A%% you seem pretty childish for saying someone you have no clue about is not a good person, the only fact that is certain is my soapbox seems to be alot smaller than JJ!!!!!!!!!!!! And if you want to talk about my accomplishments that is fine I will be at the state today even though I have no child in wrestling, have not been in school in years, but are there because this great sport gave so much to me and I have given just a little back.

Instead of pointing out the seemingly endless numbers of error in logic contained in your post, I'm just going to laugh to myself for a while about it.

The Division I state wrestling duals??™ days in Clarksville are officially at an end.

Clarksville officials notified the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association by mail on Tuesday that they no longer wished to be considered as a host site.

???If Clarksville has no desire to host the tournament, we obviously will be looking at other options,??? TSSAA executive director Ronnie Carter said.

Clarksville coach Jeff Jordan had reportedly told Region 9 coaches earlier this week that Clarksville would not be bidding to host the duals next year.

???Once the season is over we always review both the dual and traditional tournaments and then make decisions regarding tournament sites,??? Carter said.

One potential site is the Williamson County Agricultural Center, which is located near several high schools including Brentwood and Independence. The facility will reportedly accommodate eight mats with team benches for each and has a seating capacity of approximately 4,000. If that site is available, it is possible the state would be able to reunite Division I and Division II tournaments under the same roof.

We'll have to send our biased refs to Williamson county now.

I must add that knowing Ward for 35 years and knowing Jeff since his fisrt state title in Franklin (late 80's), I must say they are both tremendous assets to our great sport. To me they both deserve Hall of Fame status for their contributions and their overall efforts to bring it out of obscurity and into the public's eye.

Oh, I always appreciated those pictures (in black and gold) back in the 70's Ward, even though Walkinvol- maybe even BCB, (unlike Coach Mulllin) never felt I deserved them - he, WV, being a younger and upcoming East Ridge Star, and me being a clumsy "Forrest Gump" or "Radio" - really just a wrestling pioneer for my family and friends.

Trust me, this thread is such a waste considering who you are talking about and what a wonderful paper that allows coverage of wrestling like no other paper in the SE. You need to compare it to the AJC, News Sent., Commercial Appeal or The Tennessean.

The Soms

Note: Best match - 189 and maybe MOW.