Who is/was better: John Jenkins OR Corey Brewer?

5-Sport Dad

I have not. But, Brewers track record speaks for itself. It's a no brainer to me.

Does averaging 42 PPG and being invited to a top 100 tournament for Jenkins not speak for itself as well. I know he won't average 42 a game in college, but I still bet he gets his points. If Jenkins doesn't make it pro, I'll be surprised. He's quick, can jump, can shoot as evident, plays good D...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does averaging 42 PPG and being invited to a top 100 tournament for Jenkins not speak for itself as well. I know he won't average 42 a game in college, but I still bet he gets his points. If Jenkins doesn't make it pro, I'll be surprised. He's quick, can jump, can shoot as evident, plays good D...

I editied my original post. Asked about Jenkins in comparison to Terrico White.

I played against Brewer in high school and have watched Jenkins play this year. I have to say Best Defensive player: Corey Brewer... Best Offensive Player: Jenkins..... Neither Penny or Delk averaged 40 a game...... Its hard to compare these two as who the best "Player" is... to some scoring more points makes a better player... for others doing the little things such as shutting another player down,handling the ball, and getting steals makes the better player. They both had the ability to take control of a game, just in different ways. Both could score.. although Jenkins is the better shooter... both were scorers... Now.. Brewer's college track record is going to be pretty hard to Top..... but you have to look at the players Brewer had around him when winning those 2 NCAA Championships....... For the guy making a comment about Vandy..... obviously he has not seen any NCAA tournament action over the past 6 years... starting when Matt Freije took them to the Sweet 16..... Kevin Stallings's Vandy progam is on the up and up. His game and coaching philosophy has gotten him better recruits over the years. This year he has one of the youngest teams in the country with no seniors.... the addition of Jenkins next year with Ogilvy at center and i see one of the best teams in the SEC and a run in the NCAA Tournament. I wish nothing but the best to both players in their basketball futures. Go Jenkins and the Dores next year!!!!!!!! Nobody watches NBA... sorry Brewer... but u still were a heck of a college player

Corey Brewer is a millionare many times over and will will probably make in excess of sixty million doallrs by the time his career is over. I believe that one hundred percent. That alone speaks voulmes. I can't believe anybody would undersell this kid. Yes, Brewer had great team mates at Florida but don't forget Brewer was a BIG TIME STAR as well....remember he was the NCAA final four most outstanding player. A 6'9 wing with great length...considered a great defender but still learning the NBA game. Currenlty out with a torn ACL. But, the Timber Wolves will most certainly pick up option years 3 and 4 as was part of his original rookie contract. May end up getting traded and may not. Doesn't matter...he could end up playing for four or five teams but will have played a long career in the NBA.

Brewer a 2A Mr Basketball, McDonalds All American, played in the Jordan Brand all american game, two time NCAA National Champion, A number seven overall lottery pick Minnesota Timber Wolves and a key commponent to the the Timbers Wolves rebuilding plan. Even if ever traded he will still have nice market value. Brewer probably ends up a borderline all star with a ten to twelve year NBA career, easily. After his rookie contract is up he will cash in rather nicely and then eventyually sign another big contract. He may not make Lebron James dollars but will easily make in excess of sixty million dollars. Brewer signed a two year 4.4 million dollar rookie contract with team options for two more seasons. That puts him and 8.8 million after four season but will cash in big time after the first four seasons, possibly signing a contract around 4 to 5 season at 35 to 40 million dollars at twenty five years old. At 29 or 30 he signs his last big contract at 3 or 4 years in excess of 25 to 30 million dollars. Think about it , 60 to 70 million in salary and that doesn't even include indorsments and shoe contracts. This kid is going to make so much money it's obscene. That's what it really all comes down to in my opinion. Could Jenkins equal Brewer as an NBA talent.......possibly....possibly not. It would be very difficult at a legit 6'4 SG to show much dominance in the NBA. Sure there are a handfull but those players are on another level as pros. There are a ton of 6'6/6'7 type SG's in the NBA and they a TREMENDOUS athletes. Jenkins would have to match up against players much taller, bigger, quicker, and faster than he is. Can he improve his defense and athleticism to an NBA level in four years of college? Sure , but it has to be proven first because Jenkins isn't considered a CAN'T MISS NBA prospect like some of the others in the 2009 class...speaking about the state of TN and nationally both. There are simply tow many unknows about Jenkins at this point to say he is an automatic future NBA player. It's quite possible Jenkins makes it to the league...but it remains to be seen. That's all i'm saying. Brewer has many advantages over Jenkins as far as an NBA talent to. Brewer is a 6'9 wing that can play two or three postions if asked to do so...not to mention a great athlete with length. That alone is a HUGE adbvantage over a 6'4 SG with limited defensive skills (at this point) and not considered a super athete either. I will go as far as to say Jenkins will eventually end up All SEC...but, beyond that I have no idea and neither does anybody else becuase it isn't quite as easy to project how far Jenkins considerable basketball talents can take him. If he improves each season and gains alot of atleticicm (jumping, speed, quickness, running and on and on and on) in the process it's possible. Pobably easily 95 percent of the NBA players aty Jenkins postiton are superb athletes....much better athletes than Jenkins. The question is can you see Jenkins making those kind of dollars over that amount of time? It's really hard to tell becuase he is only a senior in a highschool and has maybe a few more chinks in his armour because he is not a SUPER athlete, as of now. That's what it really comes dow to...will Jenkins have NBA athletic ability by the end of his college career because now he does not. I hope he makes it. Kid is a tremendous talent and has a VERY BRIGHT FUTURE no matter what happens. Good Luck to John Jenkins!!!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I'm curious as to how you know what kind of ability he does have right now... I mean he's averaging 42 a game, been invited to the MAJOR ELITE AAU camps, should wind up being McDonalds All-American.... He has been able to score on whoever guards him at all of these camps. It was even mentioned in the Vandy game the other night on ESPN that Jenkins is leading the nation in scoring right now with 42 PPG... what kind of ability do you want the kid to have.... to jump out of the gym, LITERALLY????

I'm curious as to how you know what kind of ability he does have right now... I mean he's averaging 42 a game, been invited to the MAJOR ELITE AAU camps, should wind up being McDonalds All-American.... He has been able to score on whoever guards him at all of these camps. It was even mentioned in the Vandy game the other night on ESPN that Jenkins is leading the nation in scoring right now with 42 PPG... what kind of ability do you want the kid to have.... to jump out of the gym, LITERALLY????

Actually, john didnt get selected as a mcdonalds all american game participant.

He got robbed on both... If he's leading the nation in scoring as stated on TV of the Vandy game the other night, then he got robbed....

GCPioneer it happens...Lawrence Westbrook ( starts for Minnesota) and Jon Diebler ( reserve for Ohio State)both averaged 40+ in the last 2 or 3 years and didnt make it to all star games...

Corey Brewer is a millionare many times over and will will probably make in excess of sixty million doallrs by the time his career is over. I believe that one hundred percent. That alone speaks voulmes. I can't believe anybody would undersell this kid. Yes, Brewer had great team mates at Florida but don't forget Brewer was a BIG TIME STAR as well....remember he was the NCAA final four most outstanding player. A 6'9 wing with great length...considered a great defender but still learning the NBA game. Currenlty out with a torn ACL. But, the Timber Wolves will most certainly pick up option years 3 and 4 as was part of his original rookie contract. May end up getting traded and may not. Doesn't matter...he could end up playing for four or five teams but will have played a long career in the NBA.

Brewer a 2A Mr Basketball, McDonalds All American, played in the Jordan Brand all american game, two time NCAA National Champion, A number seven overall lottery pick Minnesota Timber Wolves and a key commponent to the the Timbers Wolves rebuilding plan. Even if ever traded he will still have nice market value. Brewer probably ends up a borderline all star with a ten to twelve year NBA career, easily. After his rookie contract is up he will cash in rather nicely and then eventyually sign another big contract. He may not make Lebron James dollars but will easily make in excess of sixty million dollars. Brewer signed a two year 4.4 million dollar rookie contract with team options for two more seasons. That puts him and 8.8 million after four season but will cash in big time after the first four seasons, possibly signing a contract around 4 to 5 season at 35 to 40 million dollars at twenty five years old. At 29 or 30 he signs his last big contract at 3 or 4 years in excess of 25 to 30 million dollars. Think about it , 60 to 70 million in salary and that doesn't even include indorsments and shoe contracts. This kid is going to make so much money it's obscene. That's what it really all comes down to in my opinion. Could Jenkins equal Brewer as an NBA talent.......possibly....possibly not. It would be very difficult at a legit 6'4 SG to show much dominance in the NBA. Sure there are a handfull but those players are on another level as pros. There are a ton of 6'6/6'7 type SG's in the NBA and they a TREMENDOUS athletes. Jenkins would have to match up against players much taller, bigger, quicker, and faster than he is. Can he improve his defense and athleticism to an NBA level in four years of college? Sure , but it has to be proven first because Jenkins isn't considered a CAN'T MISS NBA prospect like some of the others in the 2009 class...speaking about the state of TN and nationally both. There are simply tow many unknows about Jenkins at this point to say he is an automatic future NBA player. It's quite possible Jenkins makes it to the league...but it remains to be seen. That's all i'm saying. Brewer has many advantages over Jenkins as far as an NBA talent to. Brewer is a 6'9 wing that can play two or three postions if asked to do so...not to mention a great athlete with length. That alone is a HUGE adbvantage over a 6'4 SG with limited defensive skills (at this point) and not considered a super athete either. I will go as far as to say Jenkins will eventually end up All SEC...but, beyond that I have no idea and neither does anybody else becuase it isn't quite as easy to project how far Jenkins considerable basketball talents can take him. If he improves each season and gains alot of atleticicm (jumping, speed, quickness, running and on and on and on) in the process it's possible. Pobably easily 95 percent of the NBA players aty Jenkins postiton are superb athletes....much better athletes than Jenkins. The question is can you see Jenkins making those kind of dollars over that amount of time? It's really hard to tell becuase he is only a senior in a highschool and has maybe a few more chinks in his armour because he is not a SUPER athlete, as of now. That's what it really comes dow to...will Jenkins have NBA athletic ability by the end of his college career because now he does not. I hope he makes it. Kid is a tremendous talent and has a VERY BRIGHT FUTURE no matter what happens. Good Luck to John Jenkins!!!!!

How does it feel to be president of the Corey Brewer fan club? You already have Brewer being an all-star, and he has not even been a constant fixture in the Timberwolves' starting lineup yet. Sure, he has upside. But how much upside is there is something that none of us - even the Timberwolves organization - know yet. Before you have him making at least 60 million dollars and signing two long-term contracts and proclaim him as at least a borderline all-star, at least be realistic. I'm a Corey Brewer fan as well. He seems like a class act. However, to think all of the aforementioned accomplishment are a done deal is somewhat unrealistic. If he doesn't score more, he will not be an all-star in the NBA. Good luck to Corey though. What a great kid.

Corey accomplished more in high school than Jenkins has and likely will. It is my belief that Jenkins is the better player. He impacts the game far more. Brewer saw some junk defenses as well, but it was nothing like what Jenkins has experienced. His shooting percentage this season is probably 15 percent higher than Brewer's was his senior year. Brewer averaged around 30 points per game, slightly under I'm relatively sure. He carried his team. He shot it a ton too though and didn't shoot a bad - but also not an unbelievable - percentage. He deserved Mr. Basketball. Brewer benefited from being part of a class in which there was not as much overall talent at his position. He was not one of the better players in that McDonald's All-American Game, but what an accomplishment it was to even be among that elite group of athletes. Jenkins is in a class that is relatively shooting guard heavy. That's why he didn't make it. Leslie McDonald may not be better than Brewer, but he's rated higher and has signed with a far more high-profile program (North Carolina). Whether we agree with that or not, it makes McDonald rated ahead of Jenkins in this year's senior class and gives him greater clout in terms of those elite honors. And McDonald is not rated in the top couple of shooting guards in this year's class. I think he's somewhere in the 3-5 range if I'm not mistaken.

Jenkins doesn't have Brewer's height and athleticism, and Corey worked his butt off. As unbelievable as Brewer's work ethic was, I believe that Jenkins work ethic may be even better. When you can fill it up like Jenkins can, you'll be a factor. Whether he becomes a can't miss NBA guy remains to be seen. Just enjoy watching Jenkins at Vanderbilt and the rest of this season. He does have a ton still to do in order to get to the Corey Brewer level.

I wish both players all of the best.