Girls Tourney Preview

bbb

Girls Wrestling Starts Thursday

Hey guys, clear the mats. The girls are getting ready to wrestle!

Forty-eight years after 58 boys from eight schools competed in the first Tennessee state traditional wrestling tournament (March 1961), the girls have a ???league of their own'' and wrestle Thursday and Friday not against, but side by side, with the boys.

''The girls go at it from the opening whistle and they are good,'' said Soddy Daisy boys and girls coach Steve Henry. ???It's exciting and you won't see any stalling in girls wrestling.''

Fifty girls from 18 schools will compete in nine weight classes from quarterfinals on Thursday (10 a.m.) to the championship and consolation finals on early Friday afternoon after the boys consolations.

Pioneers in the sport, Tennessee School for the Blind and Red Bank entered teams in that first state tournament and now have girls competing this week in the inaugural invitational to be the only schools in the state to compete in both ''first'' tournaments.

''We are excited about the possibilities of the Girls' Tournament, mainly for the girls that are participating this year and the opportunities it presents them,'' said TSSAA executive director Ronnie Carter.

''For the future, we will have to see the response from the student-athletes and coaches,'' Carter stated. ''We think the tournament has great possibilities for girls that want to participate in this great sport.''

Texas, Washington and Hawaii have state-sponsored traditional girls championship tournaments.

The three years of the invitational in Washington showed at increase in participants in the invitational from 58 to 109 to 158 in three years. It became a state championship event in the fourth year.

Janie Goldstein of Science Hill is ready to be part of Tennessee wrestling history.

'I am excited to wrestle at the state traditional tournament as more girls can participate as opposed to only a couple of teams in the dual,.'' said the junior who carries a 3.8 GPA

''My brother (Steven, 112) is competing in the Division I tournament and our older brother, Michael, was a state qualifier two years ago,'' Goldstein said.

Soddy Daisy and Science Hill are the pre-tournament favorites, since they finished one-two in the 2008 state duals and they have the most participants.

The Trojans have nine in the field and Science Hill has eight entrants, followed by Red Bank with six and Stone Memorial and Clarksville Northeast with four each.

''We have a girl in each weight class and will do our best to win the team title,'' said coach Henry. ???We won the state duals last year so we won't sneak up on anyone this year.

''For the girls to be center stage for two days with the boys can only help the sport grow.''

Participating Schools (18):

Soddy Daisy (9), Science Hill (8), Red Bank (6), Stone Memorial (4), Clarksville NE (4), Elizabethton (3), McMinn Central (2), Chuckey Doak (2), South Doyle (2), Tullahoma (2), Hendersonville (1), Lincoln County (1), McMinn County (1), Montgomery Central (1), Tenn. School for the Blind (1), West Greene (1), Whitwell (1), Wilson Central (1)

Wrestler Bios By Weight (of those that sent in information)

Janie Goldstein (Science Hill, 11)

Janie is a returner from last year's state duals runner-up team ??¦ sister of Steven Goldstein who is in D-I tourney at 112 and 2008 region champ as an 8th grader ??¦ older brother, Michael Goldstein, was a 2007 state qualifier ??¦ Janie showed horses for eight years ??¦ 3.8 GPA.

Ashley Ratliff (McMinn Central, 9) ... wrestled on the McMinn Central boys team

Katie Lyons (Stone Memorial, 9) ... first year wrestler for Stone Memorial ??¦ competed in the Halls tourney .. active in Shutterbugs club ??¦ 4.0 GPA..Katelyn Clark (Soddy Daisy, 9) ... older sister, Laura Lee, wrestles in the 165 pound class ??¦ better know as ''Little Bit'', Katelyn plays varsity and JV soccer and tennis ??¦ writes poetry ??¦ soccer referee for Middle Valley Youth Soccer ??¦ 4.0 GPA ??¦ student council, key club, little sisters.

Ashley Green (Whitwell, 12) ... sings ??¦ plays the piano ??¦ No.1 on girls tennis team ??¦ FCA, student council ??¦ 3.5 GPA ??¦ pinned a boy from Coffee County at Lookout Valley tournament.

Kasie Williams (Stone Memorial, 10) ... captain of SM girls team ??¦ wrestled on the boys team in 2008 ??¦ third at Pigeon Forge ??¦ third at Halls ??¦ worked on her wrestling this past summer ??¦ enjoys riding horses ??¦ plans to wrestle in college and be a vet ??¦ 3.7 GPA.

Melissa Downs (Soddy Daisy, 10) ... won the Soddy Daisy tourney ??¦ was in Rennisance at school ... active in little sisters for boys wrestling team ??¦ 3.5 GPA first semester and straight A's this semester ??¦ varsity soccer (Region champs) and varsity track ??¦ undefeated in wrestling for two years ??¦ member of 2008 state duals champions

Haley Hoff (Science Hill, 9) ... enjoys reading, music and swimming

Lindsey Ramsey (Red Bank, 10) ... 1-1 in Soddy Daisy dual match in November

Misti Maki (Clarksville NE, 9) ... won Halls girls tourney ??¦ 1-2 in boys freshman tourney ??¦ All-Star, Select and Travel team player in softball since she was 10 ??¦ plays all positions except pitcher ??¦ plays varsity volleyball and softball at Northeast ??¦ joins softball team on Monday ??¦ has an older brother who wrestled ... A Honor Roll.

Kelsey Hampton (McMinn County, 11) ... 15-6 record with eight pins ??¦ has pinned three boys ... her dad, Chris Hampton, was a three-year wrestler for McMinn County in the 1980s ... like his daughter, Chris wrestled in the state tournament at 112 ??¦ her brother, Chris, wrestled in 2004 ??¦ Kelsey, her twin sister (who plans to wrestle next year), Chris, Jr. and their dad all sing at Boyd Memorial Church of God where Chris is pastor ??¦ won the Pigeon Forge tourney ??¦ runner-up at Soddy tourney ??¦ plays piano.

Sarah Kenny (Science Hill, 12) ... wrestled for SH in 2008 ??¦ member of state champion 4x800 relay track team ??¦ conference Defensive MVP in soocer ??¦ member of yearbook staff ??¦ works at Hallmark ??¦ 3.9 GPA.

Ashley Sherrill (Stone Memorial, 11) ... second year wrestler for Stone Memorial ??¦ varsity soccer ??¦ second at Halls tourney ??¦ Art club .. enjoys photography and painting ??¦ 3.0 GPA.

Elizabeth Hardin (Tenn. School for the Blind, 8) ... helped TSB's team win the North Central Assoc. of Schools for the Blind tournament ??¦ Elizabeth won her match ??¦ student council ??¦ member of the band.

Hayley Moreno (Soddy Daisy, 10) ... Honor student ??¦ 3.43 GPA ??¦ 5-0-1 record ??¦ competes in cross country and track ??¦ 2x state qualifier in cross county ??¦ member of 2008 state duals championship team

Alyssa Moorefield (Clarksville NE, 10) ... First year wrestler ... fourth place at Halls tourney ??¦ record of 1-3.

Brooke Hensley (Soddy Daisy, 11) ... 2-0 vs. Red Bank and won her state duals match with Science Hill ??¦ member of 2008 state duals champions.

Victoria Nguyen (Science Hill, 11) ... black belt in martial arts ??¦ younger brother, Brad, in on SH boys team ??¦ snowboards ??¦ wants to pursue a career in modeling ??¦ 4.0 GPA

Brooke Reed (Red Bank, 10) .. second year on the team ??¦ 0-3 in career vs. Soddy Daisy.

Blakely Morgan (Soddy Daisy, 12) ... 2-0 vs. Red Bank ??¦ member of state duals champions ??¦ only starting senior for the Trojans.

Haley Jones (Science Hill, 9) ... member of JROTC ??¦ loves cats ??¦ 3.5 GPA

Lindsey Ramsey (Red Bank, 10) ... 1-1 in Soddy Daisy dual match in November

Alex Kinard (Clarksville NE, 9) ... First year wrestler ??¦ third at Halls tourney ??¦ 2-2 on the season ??¦ A-B Honor Roll.

Emily Gessler (Tullahoma, 10) ... 2x national medalist ... 5th in 2008 ... 2nd in 2007 ... three-time defending state champ ... won Halls and Soddy tourneys ... brothers, Max Jr. and Jason, also wrestled ... 3.97 GAP.

Josie Ayers (Stone Memorial, 9) ... first year wrestler for Stone Memorial ??¦ competed in the Halls tourney ??¦ FCA ??¦ plans to attend college on a soccer or wrestling scholarship ??¦ hobbies include karate ??¦ 4.0 GPA.

Lindsey Hickey (South Doyle, 10) ... first year wrestler and has wrestled in several girls matches

Madison Murray (Soddy Daisy, 11) ... member of 2008 state duals champions ??¦ record is 3-2 ??¦ student council ??¦ FCCLA ??¦ Jr. Miss ??¦ Read Across America ??¦ also plays recreation softball and basketball ??¦ competed in girls state wresting ??¦ Honor Roll ??¦ 3.0 GPA

Trushima Farmer (Red Bank, 10) ... 1-1 in dual match with Soddy Daisy

Laren Reed (Red Bank, 12) ... won two matches in Soddy Daisy dual match in November ??¦ 3-1 for a career vs. Soddy.

Gina Rozar (West Greene, 11) ... Placed 10th at USGWA nationals ??¦ 3th in state in 2008 ??¦ won Pigeon Forge tournament ??¦. brother, Don Rozar was a three-time state qualifier ??¦ National Honor Society ... 3.71 GPA

Emilii Russell (Hendersonville, 11) ... placed 8th at girls nationals ... state champ and won Halls Invite in January ??¦ has wrestled some varsity matches for the boys team ??¦ has wrestled for six years and dad wrestled in New Mexico ??¦ an Honor Roll student who draws and sews.

Rachel Calloway Science Hill, 11) ... wrestled for SH in 2008 ??¦ 2nd level brown belt in Kung ###### ??¦ played orchestra cello for eight years ??¦ 3.2 GPA ??¦ wrestled for state duals runner-up team.

Tiffany Deirben (South Doyle, 9) ... wrestled AAU in 2008 ??¦ Honors Classes .. 3.5 GPA ??¦ her brother wrestles for South Doyle.

Lacresha Couch (Red Bank, 10) ... 1-0 vs. Soddy in dual match in November

Katie MacMillan (Science Hill, 12) ... plays flute in SH band ??¦ varsity soccer ??¦ works at the Dairy Queen ??¦ 3.9 GPA

Laura Lee Clark (Soddy Daisy, 11) ... member of 2008 state duals champions ??¦ younger sister, Katelyn, is wrestling in 105 pound class ??¦ Laura Lee was first at Soddy tourney ??¦ 5-0 for a career ??¦ set four state records at the 2008 duals, including quickest takedown (2 seconds) and fastest fall (22 seconds) ??¦ referee in Middle Valley Youth Soccer League ??¦ recreation soccer coach for U5 and U10 ??¦ wants to attend East Tennessee State, play college soccer and pursue career in the medical field ??¦ goalkeeper on region champion soccer team ??¦ 3.2 GPA.

Loren Shelby (Montgomery Central, 11) ... wrestling for three years ??¦ 7-2 record and 3-1 vs. girls ??¦ National Honor Society ??¦ FCA ??¦ her nephew has started to wrestle because of Loren ??¦ second in the state in USGWA ??¦ second at Knox. Hall tourney ??¦ interests are horseback riding, raising animals and painting ??¦ competes in soccer and track and boys soccer manager.

Meredith Bridger (Science Hill, 11) ... member of SH soccer team ??¦ works at TCBY ??¦ 3.6 GPA

Ally Fien (Soddy Daisy, 9) ... 2-0 wrestling record .. won the Soddy tournament ??¦ her brother, Jake, is in the D-I tournament for Soddy ??¦ Key Club ??¦ varsity soccer (region champs) and track and field ??¦ enjoys hiking and camping.

Ladonna Spore (Clarksville NE, 11) ... First year wrestler .. third at Halls tourney ??¦ record is 4-8 ... A-B Honor Roll.

Dakota Johnson (Soddy Daisy, 10) ... member of 2008 state duals champions ??¦ varsity soccer ??¦ youth soccer ref ??¦ school yearbook staff ??¦ skeet shooting ??¦ 4.0 GPA .... several academic medals in middle school ??¦ All A's since elementary school.

Contact B.B. Branton at willam.branton@comcast.net

I DID NOT SEE EMILY GOSLER-TULLAHOMA LISTED. IS SHE NOT WRESTLING?

THE ANIMAL

she is in the brackets at 138 . not all coached responded to my request for bio info. that's why I stated ''some bios''

thanks, b.b.b. story is also on chattannogan.com

Good Luck Ms Emilii Russell. It's been a pleasure to watch you over the last 3 years. You are a hard working grappler and a fine young woman. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

story is also on chattanoogan.com

I never received a BIO request. Emily Gessler will be competing in the 138 bracket.

For your viewing pleasure............

Emily Gessler, 10

Daughter of Max Sr. and Donna Gessler. Older brothers, Jason and Max Jr, were accomplished wrestlers. She won the Soddy Girls Tournament and Halls Girls Tournament. Won the Girl State Tournament (USGWA) the past 3 years. Placed 5th in the 2008 National Tournament and 2nd in the 2007 National Tournament. Has 3.97 GPA.

I never received a BIO request. Emily Gessler will be competing in the 138 bracket.

Emily Gessler, 10

Daughter of Max Sr. and Donna Gessler. Older brothers, Jason and Max Jr, were accomplished wrestlers. She won the Soddy Girls Tournament and Halls Girls Tournament. Won the Girl State Tournament (USGWA) the past 3 years. Placed 5th in the 2008 National Tournament and 2nd in the 2007 National Tournament. Has 3.97 GPA.

thanks I'll put this on coacht. just sent notes to coaches on school web sites. had not other contact.

b.b.b.

Emily Gessler, 10

thanks I'll put this on coacht. just sent notes to coaches on school web sites. had not other contact.

Emily Gessler, 10

info is posted. also need info on other Tullahoma wrestler ..

send to: william.branton@comcast.net

Just for fun. I thought I would throw my 2 cents in.

Remember, I can be bought by the highest bidder /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Janie Goldstien(SH), Ashley Green(Whit), Katelyn Clark(SD), Kadie Lyons(Stone)

Mellissa Downs(SD), Kelsey Hampton(McM co.), Danille Murchison(C. Doak) Lindsey Ramsey (RB)

Sarah Kinny(SH), Haley Moreno(SD), Andrea Broadhurst(Lin Co.), Alyssa Moorefield (NE)

Brooke Hensley(SD), Victoria Nguyen(SH), Brooke Reed(RB), Samantha Maney(Eliz)

Blakley Morgan(SD), Abby McClure(SH), Haley Jones(SH), Alex Kinard(NE)

Emily Gessler(Tull), Madison Murray(SD), Lindsey Hickey(S.Doyle), Trushima Farmer(RB)

Emilli Russell(HV), Rachel Calloway(SH), Laren Reed(RB), Ali Jo Winslett(SD)

L.Lee Clark(SD), Lacresha Couch(RB), Katie McMillen(SH), Loren Shelby(Mont Cen)

Allie Fien(SD), Meredith Bridger(SH), Ladonna Spore(NE)

Dakota Johnson(SD)

1..Soddy-Daisy, 2..Science Hill, 3..Red Bank, 4..Clarksville NE

Best Match..L.Lee Clark vs. whoever

OW..Ms. Gessler..of course

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />