White/Ofori Match

hawksfan

i guess the question is, was the headgear as i was, legal........ yes

the second thing is, it is not the officials job to make allowance, call the rules.... it is the wrestlers to make adjustments. the wrestler must make adjustments based on a variety of situations that occur during the match,

from a tempo, style, you name the action......... the only thing that i can't get over is that even though he had been penalized multiple times....... he continues to "tap & go" .............. if the stove is hot... don't touch it.

the official called the rules.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty incredible.

Some of the posts have indicated that the headgear was loose.

Tighten it.

The kid was called 4 TIMES for the same call? 4 times (if that is the case). Once you are on the technical violation chart (1 - 1- 2 - DQ) any combination of TV's will DQ you.

If the kid was called four times, or even twice for grabbing a headgear, why didnt the coach instruct him to shoot? Like a kid who, for whatever reason, cant seem to help locking his hands, the coach will (or should) eventually tell him to cut the kid and go takedowns rather than get disqualified.

The referee sees an infraction, major or minor, you want him to begin to arbitrarily decide when and when not to call it? If he doesnt call it, is that fair to the other kid NOT to call it. Lets ask the other coach.

Someone pointed out that this is a violation upon application, and thats true. It doesnt matter that he did or didnt use it to control the other wrestlers head. The ref's hands are tied at this point. Once an official sees such an infraction, you look for it. Wrestlers do things by habit. Once they have locked hands from the top on the whistle, you look for it. If they grabbed a headgear once, likely they will do it again in a like situation.

But one thing I know. If you dont see it, you cant call it. I have had situations where, say from a sit out/switch I couldnt get around quick enough to see the top man locked hands. I KNEW he did, but no sight, no call. Somehow the opposing coach always in position to see it.

So, if the kid had a loose headgear and that was the culprit, how does that remove the referee from making that call?

If the kid had two grabbing the headgear violations, why would you not coach him to stay off the head?

I am sure he didnt mean to.

I was a little confused on the third T.V. as the official gave the locked hands signal. I think he gave the wrong signal at this point I am not sure. Just before that the official had given locked hands call against nick white so maybe he just got caught up and gave the wrong signal I??™m not sure.

The "Locked Hands" signal is also the signal for grasping clothing/headgear. It does throw people off sometimes as those calls are much less common than locked hands.

First I would like to state that Tim Able is one of the best officials. He is verbal to both wrestlers making them aware of the situation ( warning ). Letting them know they need to work before stalling is called. He is not afraid to make the correct call regardless of situation. All refs make mistakes. These calls were not mistakes. If any official should be blamed it would be the officials that didn't make similar calls against Ofori throughout the season.

He has constantly forced opponents out of bounds, grabbed headgear, and has had hands to the face. Had this been brought to his attention and the coaches noticed this could have been avoided. Ofori is a good wrestler, but Nick White is the better wrestler. I believe the calls were correct and I am not sure if others have mentioned it, but they had two officials for the matches and the 2nd official was responsible for one of the calls. If one of the calls wasn't made I believe it would have happened again. There was plenty of time left and that is just how he wrestles.

Nick Whites headgear was not loose

(Hanging off head, prob looser than before he had cauliflower ear

because he had something to protect the ear underneath the headgear)

The calls were correct ( I seen White head twist several times )

I haven't heard how the next match was officiated. I think the official was trying to make up for Cleveland being upset. Hit Halls twice for stalling , the 2nd call was very quick. Again the right guy won. Got to love KARMA

First I would like to state that Tim Able is one of the best officials. He is verbal to both wrestlers making them aware of the situation ( warning ). Letting them know they need to work before stalling is called. He is not afraid to make the correct call regardless of situation. All refs make mistakes. These calls were not mistakes. If any official should be blamed it would be the officials that didn't make similar calls against Ofori throughout the season.

He has constantly forced opponents out of bounds, grabbed headgear, and has had hands to the face. Had this been brought to his attention and the coaches noticed this could have been avoided. Ofori is a good wrestler, but Nick White is the better wrestler. I believe the calls were correct and I am not sure if others have mentioned it, but they had two officials for the matches and the 2nd official was responsible for one of the calls. If one of the calls wasn't made I believe it would have happened again. There was plenty of time left and that is just how he wrestles.

Nick Whites headgear was not loose

(Hanging off head, prob looser than before he had cauliflower ear

because he had something to protect the ear underneath the headgear)

The calls were correct ( I seen White head twist several times )

I haven't heard how the next match was officiated. I think the official was trying to make up for Cleveland being upset. Hit Halls twice for stalling , the 2nd call was very quick. Again the right guy won. Got to love KARMA

we have seen both of these guys upclose and personal...they are both good wrestlers and good kids...and have had great years...and i hate the match had to end the way it did...but when we wrestled ofori he was hit with a warning and at least one T.V. for slapping the head...one so hard the match had to be stopped because his finger went into our eye...he attempted to do it more but we were able to dodge it...i would say spastic and out of control in terms of how it looked...i know that is his style, but with a few adjustments it could have been fine...i am assuming he was pumped for the finals and maybe in the excitement of it all took it too far...i hate it that it came back to bite him in the finals...that is a shame for both kids and for the fans...i was not there but it did not surprise me when i heard about it based on our experience...as is known...nick has had a documented history of head butting and getting called for it...but he never did it against us...seems like his coaches worked on this with over the course of the year...congradulations to nick for winning it all and to max for coming so far with so little time on the mat...very impressive...also a double thumbs up for how both of you handled yourself afterwards...that speaks very well of you...i also was told by a very good ref in TN...that it was all legitimate calls and that tim abel is an excellent ref who has called alot of state final matches...

anyone want to start the state tournament over in 3 weeks?... /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

The "Locked Hands" signal is also the signal for grasping clothing/headgear. It does throw people off sometimes as those calls are much less common than locked hands.

Alot of refs will pull on the sides of their own clothing to the table to show the grasping call so the coaches know for sure what the tech was for but you are right the locking hands signal was the legal call for this infraction.

I was not there so Im not sure but was all the headgear grabs to the front of the headgear? From watching Ofori, I dont think he likes to tie up and have seen him push away alot on the oppenents head when they try to lock up with him.

i guess the question is, was the headgear as i was, legal........ yes

the second thing is, it is not the officials job to make allowance, call the rules.... it is the wrestlers to make adjustments. the wrestler must make adjustments based on a variety of situations that occur during the match,

from a tempo, style, you name the action......... the only thing that i can't get over is that even though he had been penalized multiple times....... he continues to "tap & go" .............. if the stove is hot... don't touch it.

the official called the rules.

Glad to know that about 80% of the fans that were there didn't know what they were seeing. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Glad to know that about 80% of the fans that were there didn't know what they were seeing. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I WOULD SAY IT WAS CLOSER TO 100% THAT DID NOT KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON. ONE ON IN OUR SECTION OF THE STADIUM COULD FIGURE OUT WHAT HAD HAPPENED. IT DID NOT LOOK LIKE ANYTHING WAS COMMUNICATED TO THE WRESTLERS OR THE COACHES FROM THE REF.

THE ANIMAL

I really hate to say this, but the calls were correct. He most definitely grabbed the headgear I was in the first row watching the match and he did it, however the headgear was very loose. The fans in our section all watched it, I even heard someone yell OH NOOOOO he grabbed it again and then the ref made the call. The ref was letting the coaches and the wrestlers know what was going on so they all knew. As far as a riot not really, but some people had to grab one of the Cleveland coaches that came out of the stands and was yelling at the officials. Ofori showed a ton of class, as well as White. White walked by and he looked extremely disappointed. No one wanted the match to end that way but the ref made the right calls.

The 1st call was hands to the face, the second call was an elbow the last two were the head gear.

The last two were very quick. Ofori does put his hands in the face a lot, but up until the finals it

wasn't called. They should have stopped the match and talked to the wrestlers a little, this looked

almost planned. I am not a Cleveland fan or hater, just didn't look right. I am sure Mr. White did

not want to win this way. The ref did a poor job of communicating it looked like to most in my area.

The 1st call was hands to the face, the second call was an elbow the last two were the head gear.

The last two were very quick. Ofori does put his hands in the face a lot, but up until the finals it

wasn't called. They should have stopped the match and talked to the wrestlers a little, this looked

almost planned. I am not a Cleveland fan or hater, just didn't look right. I am sure Mr. White did

not want to win this way. The ref did a poor job of communicating it looked like to most in my area.

I'm not a Cleveland fan either. Actually just the opposite but in this case the ref blew it badly. I was sitting in the nose bleed and had a good view. For as long as I have been involved in wrestling, front head locks have been legal. Ofori went for it several times and White pulled out which moved his head gear. Maybe it was loose, I don't know but I actually thought the second ref disagreed once when the main ref was on Ofori's elbow side and could not see his hand. The last call, Ofori did rake the top stap on the head gear but didn't move the head with it.