Bias Officials

bigbearsfan

Why are officals allowed to officate a game of their alma mater? The bias can go both ways. For one, he can be bias for his alma mater, and he can be bias against them. For instance, he might want to show that he shows no favor for his hometown team, that he might be too tough on them, as opposed to the other team.

Why does this happen?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Granted in some cases, like JV games, you need any official you can get. Although I can recall one game (JV) I witnessed this season where there were 2 officials on the floor : One was an assistant principle of the host school and the other was the parent of a player on the host school's team.

That made for a fun night /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

In regards to your question, I had always thought the TSSAA didn't allow people to officiate games at schools they attended themselves but sometimes you take what you can get I suppose.

Why are officals allowed to officate a game of their alma mater? The bias can go both ways. For one, he can be bias for his alma mater, and he can be bias against them. For instance, he might want to show that he shows no favor for his hometown team, that he might be too tough on them, as opposed to the other team.

Why does this happen?

Let me guess......... Because it's still a "GAME", a kid's game at that, and it's not life or death.

Did I win? /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Let me guess......... Because it's still a "GAME", a kid's game at that, and it's not life or death.

Did I win? /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> Well........it is a "game, and a "kids" game at that, and it is not life or death, but the "kids" put a lot into playing the "game" and if they put their "best" into the "game", they deserve the "best" when it comes to enforcing the rules. You are correct in saying that it IS a "GAME", but there is a lot at stake on the outcome of these "games". A lot of "kids" get to attend college on scholarships from the "game" who would otherwise not get the chance at a college education. Granted, there are not a lot of kids who get that opportunity, but for those who count on it, and work hard for it...often 4 years of high school "game" to achieve it, it means an awful lot. For you to "WIN", it would have to go back to truly being a "GAME", so I guess we both loose. Sorry. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Before this thread gets locked down...........................

It's more than in a simple " kid's game" in that a lot of hard work goes into what kids and coaches and parents put into a program. It's about the had work and the competition, yes, but also the relationships forged, the life lesson taught, the impressions made upon young minds. The basketball gym is another form of the classroom in many respects.

Some people, many people in fact, take it too far. Some coaches cross the line. Some players get too caught up in the heated emotions of the game. Some parents heap expectations on their kids that simply cannot be met. Sadly enough that happens in high school sports but sadder still is how common it is in the " real world ". Nothing is more important than how we live life and living it right. Everything is else is " just" something. Just a game, just a job, just a car, just some money although we may need them at some point in time for one reason or another.

In that light, I don't worry too much about what official is calling a game. In that regard basketball is a lot like life. It won't always be fair. Some days, some person may just have it in for you and others they may help you. It should be fair but sometimes it's just not. In those cases, it 's a learning experience dealing with adverse circumstances. This is not to offer a " cop out" for poor officiating. There needs to be responsibility in that area but I just say all this to point out that while basketball is not life, it can sure help you learn an awful lot about it.

And I never blame the games on officials. Most of the time, they are not "out to get" the other team or coaches. However, they are only human, and emotions can get the best of them. The best ones know how to handle that.

For instance Jeff Caple(from Oklahoma) really jumped over an offical after a call. He was very antimated, but no T was called. His team had been playing pretty bad, (something like a 40 - 15 run for Kansas) and the officials just talked to him, and he calmed down.

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> Well........it is a "game, and a "kids" game at that, and it is not life or death, but the "kids" put a lot into playing the "game" and if they put their "best" into the "game", they deserve the "best" when it comes to enforcing the rules. You are correct in saying that it IS a "GAME", but there is a lot at stake on the outcome of these "games". A lot of "kids" get to attend college on scholarships from the "game" who would otherwise not get the chance at a college education. Granted, there are not a lot of kids who get that opportunity, but for those who count on it, and work hard for it...often 4 years of high school "game" to achieve it, it means an awful lot. For you to "WIN", it would have to go back to truly being a "GAME", so I guess we both loose. Sorry. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Using your philosophy, the "kids" also deserve the best coaches. That would be paramount as the coaching has much more to do with a "kids" development as a player and as a person... The kid's family and teammates would also seem to be much more instrumental for the player than the referees, in my opinion.

Great or bad officiating, when compared to 'coaching' will not dictate whether a kid gets a college scholarship, no matter what kind of a picture you may want to paint. If a high school player can play, regardless of a questionable or missed call by a high school referee, will continue to be recruited.

Keep in mind, in the big picture, fewer than 2% of all high school basketball players will ever be given a scholarship to play basketball in college. That means that 98% of high school players are playing to have "fun".... Sometimes that overwhelming statistic is lost in the discussion.

Furthermore, even though basketball may be an avenue for the student-athlete to pursue in order to attend college, I don't fall for the excuse that 'sports' was the only way that a student could get a college education. There are plenty of opportunities for someone to achieve a college education without relying on an athletic scholarship.

But back to the coaching, and the philosophy that so-called bad or weak officials should not referee..... Will we hold that same standard to the more important person that is primarily responsible for a student-athlete's development -- the coach? And if so, how do we judge? The win/loss record? Number of former student that received a college basketball scholarship? Just how do we do this?

Knoxridge is correct. The job for the development falls on the coach.

...in part. This may not be "life or death" and yes, this "game" can be taken way too seriously, but since its conception this has been the case. If it were just "a game" then why don't we have Monopoly teams in schools with huge crowd followings? These players and coaches have CHOSEN to represent their entire community. Is that a large burden for a teenager to carry? Yes. Does it matter if they win or lose? Yes, and to some more than others. One loss can affect many more than just one team. Its ramifications can often be far-reaching. For a coach's CAREER, that one loss might be the difference in having a job they love and provides for his/her family to standing in the unemployment line. These scenarios may seem far fetched, but you would be surprised how much this "game" means to some knoxridge. Give things a little more thought before displaying your childish antics. You lose.

My apologies for getting off topic, I just needed to say that, lol. I agree with the topic, though. Officials whose alma mater is participating should not be scheduled for that game.

Knoxridge is correct. The job for the development falls on the coach.

I wholeheartedly agree in as much as skill development is concerned but to be fair the question of whose job it is to develop players and how they get into college was never the point of the thread.

Although, while we are touching on the subject of coach duties I have one addition. If you have a player who has the grades and talent enough to play any sort of college ball, be it NAIA, Division-III, or what have you..............then it's an obligation a coach has to that student to try to find a scholarship for them somewhere.

Anyway back to the original topic...............................