South Greene Lady Rebels

lastyear21

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they have a good chance to make it to Murfreesboro, but they have some business to take care of first. They may face a tough elimination game against Unicoi Co. in the regional semi-finals. Their chances increase if they can win the region and get a home sub-state game, but Unicoi Co., Elizabethton, and Pigeon Forge are not pushovers. Likely sub-state opponents would be Loudon, Stone Memorial, Anderson County, Fulton, Gibbs, or Seymour. Once again, not an easy road. In my opinion, Dye makes the Rebels go and takes over games at crunch time. Casteel, Kinser, Hicks, Ricker, and Crum all bring some skills and the Rebels play harder than anyone. I appreciate the hard-nosed play, though it sometimes seems a bit over the top to me. The late technical against Elizabethton nearly cost them a District title and they will have to keep their emotions under control as they advance. They are not real big and not overly deep, so foul trouble could be a real problem, especially for Hicks and Casteel. Take it one game at a time and see how far they can go. This may be the year they return to the Boro.

Focus is the Key for the Lady Rebels. We know they will play hard from start to finish, but like Coach17 stated they cannot make mental mistakes and Lord knows I cannot believe I just agreed with Coach17 on something. LOL! Dye is the key she make the Rebels run with her leadership on the floor, but she cannot get into foul trouble. Hicks has to get tough and play as big as she is. She is so athletic and can jump out of the gym. She is going to have to get ready mentally, your going to miss shots get over and move on to the next play. Casteel , Ricker , and Kinser keep playing hard on defense, thats what wins games. Crum needs to get her BAD ATTITUDE in check and the Coaches need to do that if she can't because it will cost the Lady Rebels if she does not. Good Luck Lady Rebels!

I think they have a good chance to make it to Murfreesboro, but they have some business to take care of first. They may face a tough elimination game against Unicoi Co. in the regional semi-finals. Their chances increase if they can win the region and get a home sub-state game, but Unicoi Co., Elizabethton, and Pigeon Forge are not pushovers. Likely sub-state opponents would be Loudon, Stone Memorial, Anderson County, Fulton, Gibbs, or Seymour. Once again, not an easy road. In my opinion, Dye makes the Rebels go and takes over games at crunch time. Casteel, Kinser, Hicks, Ricker, and Crum all bring some skills and the Rebels play harder than anyone. I appreciate the hard-nosed play, though it sometimes seems a bit over the top to me. The late technical against Elizabethton nearly cost them a District title and they will have to keep their emotions under control as they advance. They are not real big and not overly deep, so foul trouble could be a real problem, especially for Hicks and Casteel. Take it one game at a time and see how far they can go. This may be the year they return to the Boro.

Thanks for the comment you make some good points. Dye is the heart of that team and she has the desire to take them there. If the others will play with that same desire they just might make it.

Just wanting some opinions on the Lady Rebs making it to state for the first time in a few years...

TI THINK THE LADY REBS HAVE THE TEAM ,THE TALENT AND THE WILL TO DO THIS . THEY HAVE TO STAY OUT OF FOUL TROUBLE . UNIICOI COUNTY BEAT THEM IN THERE OWN GYM. TOUGH WAS,NT THE WORD GARDNER AND DYE GOT IN FOUL TROUBLE AND THIS HURT BOTH TEAMS. IN THE END THE LADY DEVILS CAME OUT ON TOP. CAN THEY BEAT THEM AGAIN--VERY DOUBTFUL BUT,WILL PUT A HARD FIGHT INTO THE GAME.

I HAVE NEVER SEEN A MORE PHYSICAL AND DEMANDING TEAM IN AWHILE. GOOD LUCK AND HOPE #32 GET,S WELL FROM HER LEG INJURY

I would definitely consider South Greene the favorite to win the region and make it to state right now. However, this doesn't mean that it will be a cake walk by any means. Elizabethton, Unicoi County, and Pigeon Forge might have something to say about that. Also, in a one and done sub-state game who knows what can happen. So, I like South Greene's chances to go to the Boro, but it certainly won't be easy.

I've had the chance to see this Rebel team play quite a few games (most recently in a the District Championship). They are a heady team that will get up on you and play some defense. I love the way they play the game: with a lot of heart and their foot on the gas for 32 minutes.

If the refs don't call fouls on them then they will be tugh for any team. The only way I see them slipping up is a lot of fouls or another rough team just like them.

I saw that when Elizabethton would push and beat and bang on them, they kinda balked and let the Cyclones back in the game. If they want to make it all the way, they must limit their fouls and not be phased by teams that are identical to them.

Good Luck to the Lady Rebels as they continue down the road (unless of course we meet you again /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> )

Some great points by all. South Greene is very good. They will beat less talented teams, evenly talented teams, and even slightly more talented teams with their toughness, 100% effort, and sheer force of Dye's will to win. However, they can lose as proven by Unicoi Co. Officiating and fouls called and not called are always critical in South Greene games because of their physical style of play. When officials let the Lady Rebs bump, push, hold, and grab they are tough to beat. When officials allow Dye to dive into the lane like a torpedo, initiate contact with defenders, and draw block calls they are tough to beat. It will be interesting to see how they do against a talented opponent in a tightly called game. They may not see it until they get to Murfreesboro. I think they will get there, but may run in to a bigger team that plays as hard as they do. If they can win it all, I will be the first to congratulate them.

I've watched these girls grow into the players they are today. They have the passion the Lady Rebels were known for in the 90s. I have watched them play together, most playing together since elementary, and I have had the opportunity to play with some of them. They are all hard workers and were brought up being taught by the best. Coach Larry Ricker. Ask any one of them who showed them, taught them, or helped them in their most influential years and they will answer his name. Most of the girls had mothers or family members who were rebels and just have the lady rebel spirit running in their blood. This is the first team since Megan Gammons, Sharee Renner, and Staci Dunn took the team to state that has played like they deserve to make the return trip to the boro. Coach Dyer and Hoese have worked hard to make this team into what they are, but I feel this team is able to be molded because of Ricker and the way he worked with these girls throughout their lives.

I have followed the girls every year since I graduated and haven't stopped rooting for them. This is their year. I wish the best for all the teams, but, of course, mostly to the Lady Rebels of 2008-2009, good luck. Winners Work Harder!

A former Lady Rebel

Some great points by all. South Greene is very good. They will beat less talented teams, evenly talented teams, and even slightly more talented teams with their toughness, 100% effort, and sheer force of Dye's will to win. However, they can lose as proven by Unicoi Co. Officiating and fouls called and not called are always critical in South Greene games because of their physical style of play. When officials let the Lady Rebs bump, push, hold, and grab they are tough to beat. When officials allow Dye to dive into the lane like a torpedo, initiate contact with defenders, and draw block calls they are tough to beat. It will be interesting to see how they do against a talented opponent in a tightly called game. They may not see it until they get to Murfreesboro. I think they will get there, but may run in to a bigger team that plays as hard as they do. If they can win it all, I will be the first to congratulate them.

They have played GREAT TEAMS let's see gave Morristown West there only lost and lost in overtime to Wilson Central two very good AAA teams. I can't wait to see you congratulate them Coach 17.

Focus is the Key for the Lady Rebels. We know they will play hard from start to finish, but like Coach17 stated they cannot make mental mistakes and Lord knows I cannot believe I just agreed with Coach17 on something. LOL! Dye is the key she make the Rebels run with her leadership on the floor, but she cannot get into foul trouble. Hicks has to get tough and play as big as she is. She is so athletic and can jump out of the gym. She is going to have to get ready mentally, your going to miss shots get over and move on to the next play. Casteel , Ricker , and Kinser keep playing hard on defense, thats what wins games. Crum needs to get her BAD ATTITUDE in check and the Coaches need to do that if she can't because it will cost the Lady Rebels if she does not. Good Luck Lady Rebels!

Playing as hard as they can for 32 minutes will not be SG's problem-they have been coached to leave it all on the floor every time they go out and play since they were old enough to dribble a basketball. Intensity will not be their problem either-these girls have played that "in-your-face" style defense and "stop me if you can" offense since joining the Lady Rebel team as Freshman. God1st hit the nail on the head when talking about Dye having to make sure she stays out of foul trouble. Throughout the year I have seen more offensive fouls called on her than I can count and I have said this before and I will say it again-LEARN TO SHOOT THE PULL UP JUMPER!!! Dye is the Leader of this team, but just as imortant to this team is Casteel. These two girls need to stay out of foul trouble and continue to step up and be leaders for their teammates.

If SG plays to their potential and Dye and Casteel stay out of foul trouble then SG will be tough to beat and they will have a really good chance to go deep into the State Tournament! Good Luck Lady Rebels!!!