Supreme Court

PHargis

I would like to see the post of BBallExtreme on my last post. Thanks.

I think any responsible teacher (Muslim, Hindu, or otherwise) or coach would be sensitive to the beliefs of their players or students and their families. I can't believe anyone would be so bigoted as to believe that the Supreme Court is wrong for preventing Christian coaches from praying with their team, yet would themselved prevent coaches of other faiths from leading their Christian children in prayer. This is why pilgrims fled England, why Puritans, and Shakers, and Catholics fled other parts of Europe. This is why the separation of Church and State is a rock solid principal of American democracy. These groups fled Europe to escape religious persecution. They were the minority and knew the importance of protecting minority rights from a tyrannical majority. It was CHRISTIANS that promoted the idea of Separation of Church and State, not atheists, or Jews, or Muslims, Hindus, or anyone else. Those early American Christians knew what it felt like to be ostracized, to lose businesses, to be ridiculed and mocked for their beliefs and they sought to bring an end to religious persecution in the New World. If we had prayers in school my only question would be whose prayer? The reluctance of so few to answer my earlier question speaks volumes.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think any responsible teacher (Muslim, Hindu, or otherwise) or coach would be sensitive to the beliefs of their players or students and their families. I can't believe anyone would be so bigoted as to believe that the Supreme Court is wrong for preventing Christian coaches from praying with their team, yet would themselved prevent coaches of other faiths from leading their Christian children in prayer. This is why pilgrims fled England, why Puritans, and Shakers, and Catholics fled other parts of Europe. This is why the separation of Church and State is a rock solid principal of American democracy. These groups fled Europe to escape religious persecution. They were the minority and knew the importance of protecting minority rights from a tyrannical majority. It was CHRISTIANS that promoted the idea of Separation of Church and State, not atheists, or Jews, or Muslims, Hindus, or anyone else. Those early American Christians knew what it felt like to be ostracized, to lose businesses, to be ridiculed and mocked for their beliefs and they sought to bring an end to religious persecution in the New World. If we had prayers in school my only question would be whose prayer? The reluctance of so few to answer my earlier question speaks volumes.

Thats the answer I would have expected for you to post except I know how awkward it would be for a Christan to Coach Hindu players and consider to lead a prayer but how do you think that could be done with a Hindu coachor trying to do the same thing or is there another way to do it? Put yourself in that Hindu Coaches shoes and explain how they would do it.

Thats the answer I would have expected for you to post except I know how awkward it would be for a Christan to Coach Hindu players and consider to lead a prayer but how do you think that could be done with a Hindu coachor trying to do the same thing or is there another way to do it? Put yourself in that Hindu Coaches shoes and explain how they would do it.

I have known Christian coaches to ask the family of a Muslim player, for example, if they feel comfortable joining in the prayer or would they like to say the prayer. I have known coaches who led a moment of silence for their team instead of a prayer when they knew this player was Muslim. I have known coaches who simply bowed their head and led a prayer, at which time the player too bowed her head and prayed because there is but one God who hears all sincere prayers.

I am sure that a Hindu or Muslim coach would not take the liberty to lead a prayer in their faith tradition, but hopefully they wouldn't prevent their players from doing so.

I have known Christian coaches to ask the family of a Muslim player, for example, if they feel comfortable joining in the prayer or would they like to say the prayer. I have known coaches who led a moment of silence for their team instead of a prayer when they knew this player was Muslim. I have known coaches who simply bowed their head and led a prayer, at which time the player too bowed her head and prayed because there is but one God who hears all sincere prayers.

I am sure that a Hindu or Muslim coach would not take the liberty to lead a prayer in their faith tradition, but hopefully they wouldn't prevent their players from doing so.

I would have expected exactly the response You gave me.

If your child's coach was Muslim or Hindu would you also want that coach to have the "right" to lead your Christian child in prayer? Or would you see it as him or her trying to impose their religion on your child?

No. No. 'Impose' is a strong word. It's also radical.

Matt. 10:33; 1Timothy 2:5

Actually the scripture reads, on this rock, I will build my church and the gates of hades shall not prevail against it. As to what it means, that is open as we all know to interpretation. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I wasn't quoting Scripture. I was quoting an old Protestant song. And the Rock is Jesus. Even though some things in the Bible are interpretable, this ain't.

I wasn't quoting Scripture. I was quoting an old Protestant song. And the Rock is Jesus. Even though some things in the Bible are interpretable, this ain't.

With all due respect, it can be and is by millions of Christians, just not the same brand of Christianity that you practice. The passage of the rock was spoken by Jesus, so many consider the Lord talking about someone else. But hey our basic beliefs are the same, remember I am too a Greenbrier fan. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

The Supreme Court refused to hear the coaches petition to participate or lead school prayer. By not hearing it, this implies the law remains the same. For many its the only way the law can read. An earlier post stated that the poster knew coaches or administrators that would take pains to ensure that people of all faiths would not be belittled or criticised when team prayer is involved. That is true, some coaches would, but not all coaches or administrators would. Some would see to it that their personal beliefs were used as much as possible. When you are dealing with the law of the land, you cannot pick and choose instances where the law would not apply. It has to apply to all the people, not just some of the people. A very difficult thing to do. But one thing remains, we can all pray for justice and unity and to turn mens hearts toward peace, no law can or will attempt to stop that. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Five, I knew what you were quoting. I was just trying to emphasize the many differences that people have concerning any part of Christianity. Thats what makes laws concerning all the people as far as religion so difficult to deal with. Take care. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Maybe I misspoke. The 'rock' is Peter (heck, his name means small stone), but the 'cornerstone' or foundation is Jesus.

With all due respect, it can be and is by millions of Christians, just not the same brand of Christianity that you practice. The passage of the rock was spoken by Jesus, so many consider the Lord talking about someone else. But hey our basic beliefs are the same, remember I am too a Greenbrier fan. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

You know I love ya, man. And I respect your views. You're a pretty smart man, so I don't take any animosity in any of this. It's good discussion and I appreciate your attitude. I never want to come across as a mean-spirited person, but I know that I am not perfect and sometimes do. If I have in any of this, I apologize.

Five, I knew what you were quoting. I was just trying to emphasize the many differences that people have concerning any part of Christianity. Thats what makes laws concerning all the people as far as religion so difficult to deal with. Take care. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

See you at the park(s) soon enough. Tell the girls I said, 'Hi!'

I agree somewhat with you, stbulldog. I don't think corporate prayer is as meaningful for a team as it is made out to be by the media, zealots and those that like to spread confusion and lies. As you pointed out earlier, we are to go into the closet and pray to the Father. Thank God individuals are still free to pray anytime, anywhere in this country. Just because a coach or school official can't lead it says nothing about our personal faith. However, it certainly says something about our society and weak-kneed, spineless government legislators, even though we're commanded to pray for those chumps. And that's the sad part. Let's be a little smarter here: God tells us in His Word, if we read it like we should, that we (Christians) will be subjected to persecution because of our beliefs. Why do we - I'm as bad as anyone - sometimes forget that? Persecution is supposed to make our faith stronger. It's not fun, but it's gonna happen until He comes back to get us. Until then, let's continue to stand up to those dark spiritual forces of evil with a strong prayer life.

Maybe I misspoke. The 'rock' is Peter (heck, his name means small stone), but the 'cornerstone' or foundation is Jesus.

You know I love ya, man. And I respect your views. You're a pretty smart man, so I don't take any animosity in any of this. It's good discussion and I appreciate your attitude. I never want to come across as a mean-spirited person, but I know that I am not perfect and sometimes do. If I have in any of this, I apologize.

See you at the park(s) soon enough. Tell the girls I said, 'Hi!'

I agree somewhat with you, stbulldog. I don't think corporate prayer is as meaningful for a team as it is made out to be by the media, zealots and those that like to spread confusion and lies. As you pointed out earlier, we are to go into the closet and pray to the Father. Thank God individuals are still free to pray anytime, anywhere in this country. Just because a coach or school official can't lead it says nothing about our personal faith. However, it certainly says something about our society and weak-kneed, spineless government legislators, even though we're commanded to pray for those chumps. And that's the sad part. Let's be a little smarter here: God tells us in His Word, if we read it like we should, that we (Christians) will be subjected to persecution because of our beliefs. Why do we - I'm as bad as anyone - sometimes forget that? Persecution is supposed to make our faith stronger. It's not fun, but it's gonna happen until He comes back to get us. Until then, let's continue to stand up to those dark spiritual forces of evil with a strong prayer life.

Thanks, I never thought for a second that you were mean-spirited. Great to hear about the award to the volleyball team, take care. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />