Scrimmages this week (3/2)

jogabonito6

Carter 3

Webb 5

Carter got down 3-0 in the first 10 minutes and battled back to get within 3-4 before Webb scored their final one. Carter has to get better play from their defensive mids and have got to play better possession. There was way too much kicking and running going on from this squad tonight. Sherrod proved once again why he is one of the best players in the state by shredding the defense for two goals, but the rest of the squad better start backing him up or it could be a long season. Maybe this was an off-night so I'm not holding this one game as an outlook to the rest of the seasonl. It was a clean and entertaining match to watch.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll add on to G's comments with my observations of the CAK/West match. I thought west controlled play in the first half and put alot of pressure on CAK. They scored a really nice goal off of service to go into halftime 1 - 0. I wasn't expecting to see the second half played out the way it went. I thought west came out aggressive again but within 10-15 mins, CAK started to control play and got the equalizer and continued to finish off 3 more nice goals. It seemed like West slowed down in the 2nd half, I don't know if that was caused by lack of full scrimmages or not. (I believe this was their first scrimmage, and you cannot simulate the intensity that you must maintain in training sessions.) I thought CAK just played much faster in the final 30 and came away with a good result to finish their preseason. I'd expect that West is going to be strong again, maybe a few lumps early in the season till they get some of the rust off. I know how much we improve from the 1st to last scrimmage, and West has a TON of talent. I'd still pick them out of that district right now.

Good luck to both squads.

I'll add on to G's comments with my observations of the CAK/West match. I thought west controlled play in the first half and put alot of pressure on CAK. They scored a really nice goal off of service to go into halftime 1 - 0. I wasn't expecting to see the second half played out the way it went. I thought west came out aggressive again but within 10-15 mins, CAK started to control play and got the equalizer and continued to finish off 3 more nice goals. It seemed like West slowed down in the 2nd half, I don't know if that was caused by lack of full scrimmages or not. (I believe this was their first scrimmage, and you cannot simulate the intensity that you must maintain in training sessions.) I thought CAK just played much faster in the final 30 and came away with a good result to finish their preseason. I'd expect that West is going to be strong again, maybe a few lumps early in the season till they get some of the rust off. I know how much we improve from the 1st to last scrimmage, and West has a TON of talent. I'd still pick them out of that district right now.

Good luck to both squads.

west took out starters at halftime at one zero in their advantage.

Seymour - 0

Bearden - 11

I thought it was a 7:30 kickoff, but got there during halftime with a score of 6 -0. I definitely know how that feels playing bearden when they had us 5 nil in our season opener last year. I can't really speak to the first half since I missed it, but I was told that bearden beat the trap to create their scoring opportunities. Seemed like the same formula in the second half. Bearden did possess a little bit, which is alot for them. Just too much talent to overcome for the Eagles. I know they were missing a few starters and I nocticed one that stood out to me in an earlier match that wasn't there. Problem is depth is always an issue at some point in the season. I have to give Seymour credit, they stood in there and didn't quit, I know bearden wasn't taking its foot off the gas, so I could have been worse had those kids not shown their grit.

Again, good luck to both squads.

Kicks off for real next week!!!!

west took out starters at halftime at one zero in their advantage.

I wont' claim to know the West roster well enough to argue this, but I thought it look like an awful lot of the same players from the first half to the second to me. I know a few starters were still out there. Tanner only came off when he was hurt. Just my observation.

Carter 3

Webb 5

Carter got down 3-0 in the first 10 minutes and battled back to get within 3-4 before Webb scored their final one. Carter has to get better play from their defensive mids and have got to play better possession. There was way too much kicking and running going on from this squad tonight. Sherrod proved once again why he is one of the best players in the state by shredding the defense for two goals, but the rest of the squad better start backing him up or it could be a long season. Maybe this was an off-night so I'm not holding this one game as an outlook to the rest of the seasonl. It was a clean and entertaining match to watch.

Webb had some dangerous players and I was really happy we kept a clean sheet. Unfortunately I'm sure they were highly motivated to correct that against you guys. Carter will sort this out and be in the hunt in may.

I definitely second what sausy37 and akula21 stated. At the start of the game I saw Patrick Maloney, Michael Williams, Jack McCoy, Tanner Thompsen, Kinley (sp) all on the field. Then in the second half I saw all of them on the field too plus many more of the same players that started.

Seymour - 0

Bearden - 11

I thought it was a 7:30 kickoff, but got there during halftime with a score of 6 -0. I definitely know how that feels playing bearden when they had us 5 nil in our season opener last year. I can't really speak to the first half since I missed it, but I was told that bearden beat the trap to create their scoring opportunities. Seemed like the same formula in the second half. Bearden did possess a little bit, which is alot for them. Just too much talent to overcome for the Eagles. I know they were missing a few starters and I nocticed one that stood out to me in an earlier match that wasn't there. Problem is depth is always an issue at some point in the season. I have to give Seymour credit, they stood in there and didn't quit, I know bearden wasn't taking its foot off the gas, so I could have been worse had those kids not shown their grit.

Again, good luck to both squads.

Kicks off for real next week!!!!

Ya'll be easy on me haha. That was an old-fashioned butt whoopin'. I just stayed for the first half of the scrimmage, and Bearden was dominant. It was 6-0 at half. I believe Bearden's first goal came about 1 minutes in off a nice shot just outside the 18. It looked defendable, but the Seymour keeper couldn't get to it. It seemed like Seymour hung their heads a little after that one and another goal followed quickly (probably within the next minute). Talent-wise, Bearden was far superior and played with a ton of offensive pressure. Seymour had about 4 or 5 shots in the first half, but none were good looks. Seymour definitely missed the two starters, one a forward and one an attacking mid. There was some incontinuity in the offense, and I think some of that can be attributed to a few players being moved to different position to try and fill the gaps. The rest was caused by Bearden's pressure lol. Seymour is a young team with definite room for improvement, but I believe they will be a force come tournament time. Sportsmanship was great on both sides during the half I observed. While 11-0 is a tough pill to swallow, I believe the Seymour squad learned a lot and it was definitely a helpful building block for the season. Good luck to Bearden as you begin your season next week.