Small School System.........

VBallsportsfan

To All: What to do? I am in a community that is very small and it is almost as though the entire school system is run by one group, and is very protective to only let members of that group be a part of anything. I am now starting to see and hear of kids transfering schools because of the coaching personnel. Please tell me if there is a step that can be taken to help get "new" blood into the coaching system. I have been watching our girls basketball program for years and we don't ever take it to the "next" level. There has to be a point that change would at least be worth a try. Girls don't respect their coach nor does the community, but every one knows that nothing can be done about it. So do we continue to just let it remain the same? I just feel for the program. We graduate more talent this year than we have ever had and we never did play one game where they were all on the same floor playing to their potential, the coach couldn't get that out of the girls. In a community as small as we are the opportnity to really have success is rare anyway, then to have a season with many veteran players on the floor with a ton of talent and nothing happens is so sad. Please advise of what can be done to get change....and not change from within! Signed......seeking advice

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To All: What to do? I am in a community that is very small and it is almost as though the entire school system is run by one group, and is very protective to only let members of that group be a part of anything. I am now starting to see and hear of kids transfering schools because of the coaching personnel. Please tell me if there is a step that can be taken to help get "new" blood into the coaching system. I have been watching our girls basketball program for years and we don't ever take it to the "next" level. There has to be a point that change would at least be worth a try. Girls don't respect their coach nor does the community, but every one knows that nothing can be done about it. So do we continue to just let it remain the same? I just feel for the program. We graduate more talent this year than we have ever had and we never did play one game where they were all on the same floor playing to their potential, the coach couldn't get that out of the girls. In a community as small as we are the opportnity to really have success is rare anyway, then to have a season with many veteran players on the floor with a ton of talent and nothing happens is so sad. Please advise of what can be done to get change....and not change from within! Signed......seeking advice

I'm going to post this and think I shouldn't but your screen name made me think it might give others some ideas. You posted on a Girls Basketball board and your screen name makes me think you have a Volleyball athlete and I'm going to answer on that basis. I don't know where you are located or how close it is to what I am thinking you might do but here goes. Volleyball is a specific and technical sport and if your player can play off season, it would be good choice if it is with a good club. Doing that would provide some skills that likely will elevate her play significantly. If there are other players who seem to have the same need, they might join you and cut down the cost to traveling to a club in a nearby town. Small towns may not have clubs and for tht matter all large ones don't either. There are clinics and if a College/University is near by, check to see the availability of skill programs. Most have some or can tellyou about instruction. Get as much of this as you can and that will give her a step up for school. if you have enough players that will do that, it will help the coaching. See how that works and someone else will have to guide you thru the need to change away from the system. You will have done your part.

Thanks for your feedback and I wish it were just that simple. I am not refering to Volleyball at all. The community I am in is one in which basketball is the life of the community. However the town by all accounts is very discouraged with the program. From the top to the bottom in our school system there is no one that you can go to to get change to happen. The problem is that when something doens't work it needs to be fixed.

As much as I would like to say there is change on the horizon for our girls program it just isn't happening if and when the coach steps down it will not even be offered to any one other than the coaches family member, so there is no hope in our program ever getting a taste of someone new.

I understand there is AAU but we are in a very remote area and most of the time our girls would have to travel at least an hour just to practice on an AAU team, so many of our girls cannot do that, let alone afford it. It is just very sad that there is no power for anyone to get change. It should be obvious when we have a group of seniors that have a ton of talent and they go no where.................. just curious what can be done.

Who decided.... lets just say their own acheivments speak for them selves. Three girls make all-district teams. Two have scored over a thousand. You listen to the teams we play and they agree that we "should" have done better with the talent we had.

I don't even know what team you are talking about, so I am just asking questions. Don't get defensive yet. It is possible to have talent and not be as talented as the teams you play, or sometimes you don't match up well. Are you a school that used to be a power and have fallen under current coach? Were you decent before and could possibly be in a down cycle now? No doubt, it could very easily be coaching, just wondering. It was a very vague question you posted to start this thread.

Who decided.... lets just say their own acheivments speak for them selves. Three girls make all-district teams. Two have scored over a thousand. You listen to the teams we play and they agree that we "should" have done better with the talent we had.

Is there anyone in the area, or close to you, that has Coached AAU before. TSSAA rules do apply to AAU. IMO, Indian likly is closer to you than a lot on here and could give you some advice. he is around the Uppercumberland area. If you are in the upper east tennessee area. Someone on here will have to respond. Without revealing your identity, email your details to Popsey37@comcast.net and I'll see if I can help you. I am unsure if I can.

Did not mean to sound defensive, it is just very frustrating. I did want it to be a general question and vague. I didn't want this to be necessarily about our school or to bash the coach. He has been there for 10 plus years and has had a lot of talent go through his system and it just doens't seem like he ever produces the end product. The girls don't respect him nor do the parents. I am a firm believer in the fact that it shouldn't matter what the parents think, but I truly feel for the girls. Especially the last two years. I know what you are saying about having talented players and not a talent as a team, but there is a point after 10 years of coaching at one point or another you will have that team come along that you take somewhere. That never has happened. This year was it in my opinion. I think that to a degree it is a coaches responsibility at some point to take the idividual talent and make a talented team. My frustration is where we are at even after he leaves the team will be passed to another family member.........it is not open to the public.........his family member will have the same philosophies as he will. it just isn't fair to the program. I am just wondering if this is common among all small schools. That is my question? How do we have a voice in change?

Did not mean to sound defensive, it is just very frustrating. I did want it to be a general question and vague. I didn't want this to be necessarily about our school or to bash the coach. He has been there for 10 plus years and has had a lot of talent go through his system and it just doens't seem like he ever produces the end product. The girls don't respect him nor do the parents. I am a firm believer in the fact that it shouldn't matter what the parents think, but I truly feel for the girls. Especially the last two years. I know what you are saying about having talented players and not a talent as a team, but there is a point after 10 years of coaching at one point or another you will have that team come along that you take somewhere. That never has happened. This year was it in my opinion. I think that to a degree it is a coaches responsibility at some point to take the idividual talent and make a talented team. My frustration is where we are at even after he leaves the team will be passed to another family member.........it is not open to the public.........his family member will have the same philosophies as he will. it just isn't fair to the program. I am just wondering if this is common among all small schools. That is my question? How do we have a voice in change?

First of all, you keep up your school work and get yourself in position to graduate, thats the first thing. then find yourselves an AAUteams and play this summer althugh one summer will not do you much good but it will keep you in shape. if you are all seniors you shouln't have to be concerned ab out coaches later. I would stay in there, and be ready for my senior year.

I am assuming that VB would be Van Buren County. Haven't seen you play so I have no idea about your talent. Remember, there isn't a quality coach lined up waiting for every job. Also, if you have the best talent you have ever had at the school, it still doesn't mean that your talent is better than the schools you are competing against. Just playing devils advocate. I have no idea..