White Station loses to Central 53-39

philtenn

Although the game time for White Station vs. Central was listed as 7:30 PM tonight at Wooddale on the TSSAA site and in the Commercial Appeal, Overton, Melrose, and Central all apparently knew the game was actually scheduled for 6PM. As the White Station girls were driving to White Station to run through plays at 6PM, Central was apparently finishing up its warmups at Wooddale. A friend of a White Station player called to tell her that Central was warming up at Wooddale and then the word went out to the other White Station players by text. Confusion broke out as parents and players tried to determine what they should do. Some of the girls decided on their own to head to Wooddale while others waited for direction from their coaches who eventually let them know to go to Wooddale. The game started with little to no warmups for the White Station girls. As you can imagine, most arrived stressed out and at least one nearly had an accident trying to get to the game.

Does anybody know why they changed the time and how White Station was left out of the loop or how the parents and players were not told about the change? I'm especially curious as to why the change was made in the first place. The coaches apparently weren't aware of the change.

I will withhold comment about the game as has been my policy for most of the season except to say that the White Station girls played well under the circumstances. Also, I think Coach Bray is an excellent coach. And, of course, the Central players are all top notch. The referees were fine although probably let things go a little too much at times, but I think it went both ways for the most part.

It really irritates me, though, when I saw Central's Middle Tennessee fans already at the game and I'm getting there at the end of the 1st quarter. Even Middle Tennessee knew before we did.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although the game time for White Station vs. Central was listed as 7:30 PM tonight at Wooddale on the TSSAA site and in the Commercial Appeal, Overton, Melrose, and Central all apparently knew the game was actually scheduled for 6PM. As the White Station girls were driving to White Station to run through plays at 6PM, Central was apparently finishing up its warmups at Wooddale. A friend of a White Station player called to tell her that Central was warming up at Wooddale and then the word went out to the other White Station players by text. Confusion broke out as parents and players tried to determine what they should do. Some of the girls decided on their own to head to Wooddale while others waited for direction from their coaches who eventually let them know to go to Wooddale. The game started with little to no warmups for the White Station girls. As you can imagine, most arrived stressed out and at least one nearly had an accident trying to get to the game.

Does anybody know why they changed the time and how White Station was left out of the loop or how the parents and players were not told about the change? I'm especially curious as to why the change was made in the first place. The coaches apparently weren't aware of the change.

I will withhold comment about the game as has been my policy for most of the season except to say that the White Station girls played well under the circumstances. Also, I think Coach Bray is an excellent coach. And, of course, the Central players are all top notch. The referees were fine although probably let things go a little too much at times, but I think it went both ways for the most part.

It really irritates me, though, when I saw Central's Middle Tennessee fans already at the game and I'm getting there at the end of the 1st quarter. Even Middle Tennessee knew before we did.

Well Phil, if you had a copy of the game bracket, which was on the TSSAA website, the game times were right. The Commercial Appeal got it wrong. I don't understand how all 4 teams did not plan on being at the gym at 6pm anyway. Even if your game was not until 7:30 a smart coach would have his team at the game to scout their next opponent. The players would just relax and watch some good basketball. With the exception of 1 or maybe 2 players for White Station all of the other players had 20 or 25 min to warm up. The game started at 6:30. If you are a head coach about to play your biggest game of the year, why not make a phone call early in the day if you think that the time is wrong. Don't rely on a local newspaper of whom never provides adequate coverage anyway.

All 3 of the other teams knew what time they would play. I blame the White Station coach period. And by the way the score was 55-39.

White Station put up a valiant effort under the circumstances. They were only down 27-21 at the half. They have nothing to be ashamed of and they had a great season. Good luck to all of the seniors whom will continue their careers at the next level, I will enjoy following each and everyone's college career.

Well Phil, if you had a copy of the game bracket, which was on the TSSAA website, the game times were right. The Commercial Appeal got it wrong. I don't understand how all 4 teams did not plan on being at the gym at 6pm anyway. Even if your game was not until 7:30 a smart coach would have his team at the game to scout their next opponent. The players would just relax and watch some good basketball. With the exception of 1 or maybe 2 players for White Station all of the other players had 20 or 25 min to warm up. The game started at 6:30. If you are a head coach about to play your biggest game of the year, why not make a phone call early in the day if you think that the time is wrong. Don't rely on a local newspaper of whom never provides adequate coverage anyway.

All 3 of the other teams knew what time they would play. I blame the White Station coach period. And by the way the score was 55-39.

White Station put up a valiant effort under the circumstances. They were only down 27-21 at the half. They have nothing to be ashamed of and they had a great season. Good luck to all of the seniors whom will continue their careers at the next level, I will enjoy following each and everyone's college career.

Thanks.

One of the White Station parents I talked to said they had an email from their asst. coach Monday morning stating the game was at 7:30. The Coach T bracketologist jim.314 lists the White Station/Central game at 7:30 on his brackets. The current link on TSSAA has no times listed except for the Wednesday game which says it is at 7. And while the Commercial Appeal is certainly not the last word on girls basketball, they must have gotten their information on the game times from somewhere. So somewhere along the line the game times got changed. Clearly it is a coaching error since all the other teams knew, but I can see how the confusion happened for the White Station crew. White Station was also hampered by Okwumabua not being on the floor much in the second half due to some knee issues.

All that being said, Central played a very good game and showed why they are so highly regarded. Congratulations and good luck the rest of the way.

The game time for the Memphis Central / White Station game was always scheduled for 6:00pm. If you look at the TSSAA and jim314 brackets they are list by districts in order. District 15AAA is hosting the Region 8AAA Championship and they wanted the District 15AAA #1 seed to play the 7:30 game.

Philtenn will you please share with us in more detail about your statement and who are Central's Middle Tennessee Fans. "It really irritates me, though, when I saw Central's Middle Tennessee fans already at the game and I'm getting there at the end of the 1st quarter. Even Middle Tennessee knew before we did."

The game time for the Memphis Central / White Station game was always scheduled for 6:00pm. If you look at the TSSAA and jim314 brackets they are list by districts in order. District 15AAA is hosting the Region 8AAA Championship and they wanted the District 15AAA #1 seed to play the 7:30 game.

I'm still confused. The brackets I printed off from jim.314 clearly state the Central/White Station game at 7:30. I guess the White Station folks are all dumbies since no one else apparently was confused. Not that it matters now.

Doesn't the region have a meeting to get all of these things worked out?

In Tennessee...the answer would be yes. Not sure Mississippi does it that way though... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Memphis basketball...you gotta love it!!!

I AGREE PRRat..... Amazing!

Memphis Overton was a #1 seed and Memphis Central was a #1 seed. Overton is out of 15AAA and Memphis Central out of 16AAA. Why would you not play in that order? Memphis Central should have played second like the rest of the state.

13AAA #1 seed was defeated by Cordova and Millington owned the #1 seed for 14AAA. The 13AAA #1 seed always plays the earlier game and 14AAA #1 seed always plays the second game.

SCHEDULE:

13AAA #1 seed at 6:00pm (Cordova defeated Liberty Tech for the their #1 seed)

14AAA #1 seed at 7:30pm (Millington)

15AAA #1 seed at 6:00pm (Memphis Overton)

16AAA #1 seed at 7:30pm (Memphis Central)

White Station SHOULD have been playing second.

The Bracket and Game Times were set at the Region meeting. The White Station girls coach did not attend the meeting. They did have a representative at the meeting.

There is the problem in not attending.

I would think that the host district would play the later game at all locations across the state.

i.e. if districts 1AAA and 2AAA were playing at a 1AAA location then the 1AAA # 1 seed would play the late game..