Big 8 Conference  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Big 8 Conference

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any news concerning the Big 8?

Has there been anymore news concerning the away stands for some of the smaller stadiums in the Big 8? There was an article during the winter mulling over the idea of adding away stands in Volunteers stadium. I assume Daniel Boone, David Crockett, and Sullivan Central would be at a lose on the away side as well. Dobyns Bennett, Science Hill, Sullivan South, and Tennessee High have reasonable away stands.

Any news concerning the Big 8?

Has there been anymore news concerning the away stands for some of the smaller stadiums in the Big 8? There was an article during the winter mulling over the idea of adding away stands in Volunteers stadium. I assume Daniel Boone, David Crockett, and Sullivan Central would be at a lose on the away side as well. Dobyns Bennett, Science Hill, Sullivan South, and Tennessee High have reasonable away stands.

I don't think Central's will be that bad. The last couple of times I've been there, the home side has plenty of seats available. Volunteer will be an issue if DB ever plays at Volunteer. It would cramped with the fans and bands.

Speaking of stands, will the stands at DB be moved out of the endzone this year? It probably won't be much of an issue this year since the South and THS games are away.

Despite the fact that many DB loyalists believe that '09 will be a down year for the Indians, I'll still have to predict that the Indians will win the first ever Big "8" conference championship. The fun, however, will be the next three spots that will most likely be between THS, South, and Science Hill. I believe as long as Science Hill finishes second they still earn a playoff spot, correct? Tennessee will have to try hard to not have a decent offense this year. I've been waiting on South to have a down year, doubt that it will happen this year. Stacy Carter has become quite the clocksmith over at Death Valley; he just puts in new gears and they're good to go.

Daniel Boone and Volunteer are the question marks. It wasn't too long ago that Daniel Boone was usually the 2nd or 3rd place contender in the primitive stages of the MLC in the 90s. Volunteer was struggling last year. DC and Central will probably take the remaining spots.

Key Games to look out for

South vs. DB - obviously...both teams have reigned supreme in their old conferencs...a lot of bad blood here

THS vs. Science Hill - always a thriller...probably too close to call this year

Everyone is talking about the big 4 but I agree with you about Daniel Boone. It's only a matter of time until they break through...in all sports. They only await a round table of championship coaches for the talent is there year in and year out. They are in my view the sleeper school in NET. Their current coach is a fair coach and is consistant but once they get a premier coach they will be the next wonder story of NET.

• 4 weeks later...

looks like an interesting upcoming season, the big 4 and the little 4 lol. DB, South, SH, THS at the top, w/ Boone, DC, Volunteer, and Central beating up on each other at the bottom. It's a little early for predictions, but heck why not?

1- Dobyns-Bennett/South- Being an SH grad, i hate to say that DB and SS are the best in the conference, but thats the reality of it. The winner of this one finishes 1st in the conference i'd say.

3- Science Hill- W/Soddy Daisy being the opener, the Toppers will be tested early on. Away games at South, THS, and Mo West will be tough, but winnable. If they take care of business against Boone, DC, Vol, and Central, they should be in prime shape to finish in the top half of the conference.

4- THS- man Sheppard is a beast, however, the Vikings will need someone to look to when the defense stacks the box. Saw much more throwing from the Vikes when they played SH last year. They took a whoopin w/the new system, as opposed to their usual 4 passes a game, but Stubbs knows how to utilize his athletes, and he wouldn't suddenly change his system if it wasn't going to produce results. An easy start w/ east and crockett could help the Vikings and then dates w/ Virginia High and Science Hill should show the Vikings true colors. They'll be good, but I don't see them beating DB, South, or SH, so they're 4th.

5- Boone- IMO, the most underrated team in the conference. Boone always has two things: scrappy kids, and heart. Those two things could combine with some decent talent and produce some upsets. They've got a favorable schedule: Cherokee, North, Central, Volunteer AND Crockett on the same schedule. North is coming off a rare good season, could be a toss up when these two play. If the Blazers can steal one against SH or THS, the last few weeks of the season could be very entertaining.

6- Volunteer- Same story as Boone, tough kids, lots of heart, not the "greatest" talent. If they get overlooked, they'll take a decent team down to the wire, and somebody might slip up. Maybe if they still had that all-galaxy Cradic kid under center they'd compete for 4th or 5th, but it looks like Volunteer will be on the outside this season, playing football in the same over-matched conference that they play basketball in (w/the exception of the absence of East in big 8 football).

7- Crockett- I wanted to place Crockett and Central at #7 and #8 in no particular order, but then I realized, Crockett is better than Central. Crockett ,while not improving much in the win column, has improved on the field over the last two years (compared to where the program used to be.) They won't be challenging South or DB any time soon, but look for tight games against Boone, and Volunteer. A win over either SH or THS would help the team, but even more importantly, establish the program as a competitor.

8- Central- It's an uphill battle for Central, w/ the conference alignment not working to the Cougars advantage AT ALL. Crockett and Volunteer look like the best chance for conference wins this season, they won't touch any of the top 5. Match-ups w/North, East, and Virginia High could potentially increase the Cougars win total, but recent history suggests not to count on it.

-Postseason- DB takes the automatic bid from SH, starting a more painful streak than losing to DB every year since the Clintons hit the White House. Now SH has some added motivation to beat DB, but DB has just as much motivation to prevent a loss to SH, especially w/ the playoffs on the line.

Boone, South, and THS get the rest of the playoff bids, w/Boone scratching and clawing its way in, South dropping 1, maybe 2 conference games at most, and THS regaining its previous form. Can't wait till August!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

who does science hill have comming back? do you think the SH DB game will as close as last years or another blowout?

Science Hill took a pretty good hit with graduation, but has lots of talent coming back and up. Big problem though . . . NO QUARTERBACK! /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Sorry folks, I took about a three month hiatus from the boards. Working around twelve hours a day and going to school leaves the computer turned off most of the time. Have I missed anything?

Welcome back TCSF....you've been missed. Don't know that you've missed any important football news but there has been some good banter concerning the Tribe-Rebels showdown and a lot a re-hash over both teams play-off losses. Enjoy reading as you catch up.