Tullahoma BKB Coach Resigns

binns37388

Personally, I think Coach Seals did a good job with the girls and I think he's a fine coach, but it's time to move on. My choice for the new coach would be Jack Harlow. I know that the people in this area that I talk with would like to see Coach Harlow get the job. He's a tough coach and a proven winner and if the parents would stay out of it, Tullahoma girls bkb would be competitive.

THS could not find a better coach. However, I doubt if he would take it.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am truly disappointed to see that another THS girls' coach has resigned. I grew up in Tullahoma, was a multi-sport athlete there, and have followed THS sports since relocating to Memphis (when I'm not busy with my own teams). Until parents and players make a TRUE commitment to the sport (a la Tamara Tilley and Monica Blake of the class of 2000-I'm reaching back here), the team will continue to struggle. The situation is not totally hopeless, but coaches aren't going to stay and invest in a program where they are met with resistance by the very people they are trying to help. Joe Carson (who ran a decent AAU program- the Tullahoma Stars) was all but tarred and feathered on his way out, and Mike Bailey (Allen Iverson's HS coach) didn't have much success either. It's been a revolving door ever since. Building a quality program takes TIME, development at the elementary and middle school levels, and investment by coaches, players, and parents in the off-season. Without these components, winning is difficult, especially in a district with one of the most storied programs in girls' basketball (Shelbyville, for anyone who might not know...) Best of luck to the successor.

Coach Seals did everything he could for this program, save donate a kidney to it.

Alot of us are heartbroken over his leaving. His drive and determination will be greatly missed.

Fixing this program will NOT start with old blood. THS needs fresh vibrate personality who will

not buckle to the small-town mentality that others have suffered through as coach here. It is a sad

day in Tullahoma...we do not any havea high school coach nor any middle school girls basketball coaches at the present time.

If any potential coach is reading this board... please know there are several us who have daughters

who JUST want to play ball and have quit soccer, cheerleading and softball...they are just youngers players.

Coach Seals set up a great base for someone to come in and take hold.

Where is Coach Harlow now? Does he want the job? How much are the parents a factor? I know someone who CC passed on last year that would do a great job. What kind of support is there with the admin? CoachT, thanks for the comments, so many times what you hear is not the truth. What kind of talent does Tullahoma have for next year and the next few years?

Coach Harlow was helping coach the Shelbyville girls at the end of the season. I heard he is interested in the job at Tullahoma. I heard the parents were a factor in Coach Harlow leaving the 6th grade girls team here in Tullahoma and probably were a factor in Coach Seals decision to resign. I've been around sports in Middle Tennessee for over 30 years as an TSSAA official and I used to think umpires had it tough, but coaches have it tougher. All the hours they put in for what they get paid, dealing with parents and other distractions makes it a very tough occupation. I'm not saying that all parents meddle with coaches and the majority of them don't, but the ones that do can make life miserable for coaches. From the people I've talked with, I think the administration will give their support on the next hire. I think some other posters could give better info on the talent level coming up thru the elementary and middle school levels. I don't know Coach Harlow personally, but I hear he is a very passionate, tough coach and that's what this program needs. Good luck to Coach Seals and the next girls bkb coach at Tullahoma High School.

Coach Seals did everything he could for this program, save donate a kidney to it.

Alot of us are heartbroken over his leaving. His drive and determination will be greatly missed.

Fixing this program will NOT start with old blood. THS needs fresh vibrate personality who will

not buckle to the small-town mentality that others have suffered through as coach here. It is a sad

day in Tullahoma...we do not any havea high school coach nor any middle school girls basketball coaches at the present time.

If any potential coach is reading this board... please know there are several us who have daughters

who JUST want to play ball and have quit soccer, cheerleading and softball...they are just youngers players.

Coach Seals set up a great base for someone to come in and take hold.

Ms Galloway set up the base for Coach Seals.

Ms Galloway set up the base for Coach Seals.

This drama, 10, makes one nervous since reports on here shade things differently and parents turned in petitions to oust the coach. What happened to all of the Middle School Coaches and why did they leave? This has been going on for a few years and sounds as if something internally,in the county, is going on to keep things stirred up. Because of the strife, do coaches at the school try to influence their players to play only one sport. If it is so, the internal strife is tearing apart the athletic program.

And for those coaches who cry every so often about Private Schools coming in and taking their good athletes and that it is very unfair and they can't compete with those schools, guess what, when they get your good athletes what do you think they are telling them and what's attractive, just to do just that. So, give some of these athletes a break and if the athlete can juggle their schedule and work their behinds off year round AND keep their grades up, so what. You are only a high schooler once in your life and it should be something important and fullfilling. Let the student/athlete work it out. Its better to do that and let them take a break off of playing one sport and let them participate in more than one for a change in pace than get burned out. It's a relief. Sorry for that but it must be a deep feeling.

This drama, 10, makes one nervous since reports on here shade things differently and parents turned in petitions to oust the coach. What happened to all of the Middle School Coaches and why did they leave? This has been going on for a few years and sounds as if something internally,in the county, is going on to keep things stirred up. Because of the strife, do coaches at the school try to influence their players to play only one sport. If it is so, the internal strife is tearing apart the athletic program.

When Seals was at Soddy Daisy he was very adamant about the girls comcentrating on only one sport, basketball of course, and he punished any girl who played softball. Needless to say, he lost most of the best talent at the school to the softball team.

And for those coaches who cry every so often about Private Schools coming in and taking their good athletes and that it is very unfair and they can't compete with those schools, guess what, when they get your good athletes what do you think they are telling them and what's attractive, just to do just that. So, give some of these athletes a break and if the athlete can juggle their schedule and work their behinds off year round AND keep their grades up, so what. You are only a high schooler once in your life and it should be something important and fullfilling. Let the student/athlete work it out. Its better to do that and let them take a break off of playing one sport and let them participate in more than one for a change in pace than get burned out. It's a relief. Sorry for that but it must be a deep feeling.

I totally agree that there is a problem with coaches, not only at THS, but many other schools pushing kids to play just one sport. The 3 sport athlete is just about a thing of the past at AAA schools. Sports are becoming too specialized. I'm hoping that will change in this area. At the A level, with a limited student enrollment and budget, kids have more of an opportunity to play more than one sport. I didn't start this thread for people to get on here and bash Coach Seals. I appreciate all the time he has put in to try and make the girls bkb program at THS better. I'm sure he'll have the most stress free summer he's had in years.

I totally agree that there is a problem with coaches, not only at THS, but many other schools pushing kids to play just one sport. The 3 sport athlete is just about a thing of the past at AAA schools. Sports are becoming too specialized. I'm hoping that will change in this area. At the A level, with a limited student enrollment and budget, kids have more of an opportunity to play more than one sport. I didn't start this thread for people to get on here and bash Coach Seals. I appreciate all the time he has put in to try and make the girls bkb program at THS better. I'm sure he'll have the most stress free summer he's had in years.

Just an idea from an outsider. Maybe you should contact the last coach to have won at Tullahoma and ask him/her what they feel were the key factors that made them successful. Then when you will at least know some more insight as to what it took to win at your school. Just an idea...good luck to you guys and hope your search goes well!

When Seals was at Soddy Daisy he was very adamant about the girls comcentrating on only one sport, basketball of course, and he punished any girl who played softball. Needless to say, he lost most of the best talent at the school to the softball team.

Maybe he had to fight for players due to the success of the softball program. His best years as a boys' coach, one state tournament team and two other sectional appearances, he had several players play two or three sports and never seemed to care, same for some of his less successful seasons. The state tournament team had four basketball starters also playing football and one other starter played a couple of football seasons too. Same with most of the bench that year.