Ravenwood honors lost teammate

PIGLETox23

As the coach at FCS, I would like to take a minute to say how much I respect Ravenwood's school, softball team, and coaches for what they did in their opening game against us yesterday. First of all, each player and coach had the number '10' on their jerseys, as well as ribbons in their hair to honor their fallen friend and teammate, Elizabeth Patton. Before the game they prayed in centerfield (her position) and at the plate before the game, Coach Akin informed me and the umpires that she left the lead-off spot open, and they were going to take an out in honor of Elizabeth. I almost started to cry right then, and then to add to their respect and love for their friend, they played the bottom of the first inning with no centerfielder as well... They were very humble and thanked us for our red and black shoelaces that we wear in our cleats to honor her as well. After the game we prayed together and I asked God to help us to remember how much of a blessing life is each time we put our cleats on with our red and black shoelaces. They played a great game and beat us 2-0, and after the game they met in centerfield again, and I don't know what she said to them, but I saw tears and at the end they huddled up and said "EP!" when they stacked it up. I can't even imagine how emotional the game was for them, their first one without her, because some of our players were crying as well. I think what Ravenwood did was an amazing thing, and their players, coaches, and fans have earned my respect forever... Normally I would be angry or at least discouraged at losing a close game, but today I feel like that is what God wanted to happen to honor this amazing young lady, and for once in my life, I was happy to lose...

As the coach at FCS, I would like to take a minute to say how much I respect Ravenwood's school, softball team, and coaches for what they did in their opening game against us yesterday. First of all, each player and coach had the number '10' on their jerseys, as well as ribbons in their hair to honor their fallen friend and teammate, Elizabeth Patton. Before the game they prayed in centerfield (her position) and at the plate before the game, Coach Akin informed me and the umpires that she left the lead-off spot open, and they were going to take an out in honor of Elizabeth. I almost started to cry right then, and then to add to their respect and love for their friend, they played the bottom of the first inning with no centerfielder as well... They were very humble and thanked us for our red and black shoelaces that we wear in our cleats to honor her as well. After the game we prayed together and I asked God to help us to remember how much of a blessing life is each time we put our cleats on with our red and black shoelaces. They played a great game and beat us 2-0, and after the game they met in centerfield again, and I don't know what she said to them, but I saw tears and at the end they huddled up and said "EP!" when they stacked it up. I can't even imagine how emotional the game was for them, their first one without her, because some of our players were crying as well. I think what Ravenwood did was an amazing thing, and their players, coaches, and fans have earned my respect forever... Normally I would be angry or at least discouraged at losing a close game, but today I feel like that is what God wanted to happen to honor this amazing young lady, and for once in my life, I was happy to lose...

Incredible! This gives a whole new definition to a "meaningful out".

On behalf of the coaches and players of Dickson County High School, we wish the Ravenwood Softball family the best of luck this season. You will be in our thoughts and prayers. The passing of Elizabeth was such a tragedy and sent shockwaves throughout the Softball Community. It really just puts it all into prospective.

Players, you should strive daily to be the best teammate you can be and every day be better than the day before. Cherish and nurture your relationships with each other because you never know what tomorrow will bring. The ability to play the game is but a very small privilege that God has granted. The real privilege is the bond you have with each other

Was at the game. DD plays center field for Ravenwood, and was good friends with Patton. Just want to tell you how impressed I was with your team and how you allowed our girls to respect there friend. My DD said how sweet all the girls were and it means alot. Life is so much bigger than this game, and we forget that sometimes. Anyway Thanks for being such a class act, and tell all your girls Thanks also.

Bobby Queen

What a great way to pay your respects. Ravenwood sounds like they have a great group of girls and coaching staff.