Greeneville's Head Coach Resigns

RyanD22

As coah Mac once told me " When you start to be successful people either love you or they are hate you, keep your head up and press on". I talked to him and I really didn't want to get nosy but its Power stuggle but he didn't say who with. They want to take away Football period ( Last period when the football teams works out ), when they have been doing it for 2 years now and everyone sees the outcome and thats WINS. You wont find a better coach and someone the players respect more than coach McCurry. He would do anything for his football players.

I think this boils down to a budgeting shortfall. We were told to prepare for some brutal cuts.....Mac might want to reconsider with the economy the way it is.....he might not get a better deal.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this boils down to a budgeting shortfall. We were told to prepare for some brutal cuts.....Mac might want to reconsider with the economy the way it is.....he might not get a better deal.

I understand what your saying barb but to take away football period isn't going to help the budget at all. Before coach Mac got there we didn't have football period and were getting pushed around because we weren't near as strong as other teams, we had the athletic ability but were not physical. Most of the teams in our conference have had football period for years now such as schools like West and East I know for sure. He can find a job that pays him what he wants and keeps their promises......i could see him maybe go to a college and coach

I understand what your saying barb but to take away football period isn't going to help the budget at all. Before coach Mac got there we didn't have football period and were getting pushed around because we weren't near as strong as other teams, we had the athletic ability but were not physical. Most of the teams in our conference have had football period for years now such as schools like West and East I know for sure. He can find a job that pays him what he wants and keeps their promises......i could see him maybe go to a college and coach

Well Ryan he was a great coach and he pushed you guys. Although i think your incorrect about we didn't have football period. We did with coach Z; I just think his last two years he changed as an individual and many players didn't have respect for him. This really does hurt I can't understand why we spent 1M on a new field but we can't pay our coach that took us to state semis this year. Once again I thinks its old fashioned dirty politics. Also why don't you and your former teammates get around him and go to the school board. They wanna talk pay cuts, as i recall Ailshie was in the hunt for Maryville Director of schools and Stroud has been all over this city. Now why can't they take cuts as well????????

Well Ryan he was a great coach and he pushed you guys. Although i think your incorrect about we didn't have football period. We did with coach Z; I just think his last two years he changed as an individual and many players didn't have respect for him. This really does hurt I can't understand why we spent 1M on a new field but we can't pay our coach that took us to state semis this year. Once again I thinks its old fashioned dirty politics. Also why don't you and your former teammates get around him and go to the school board. They wanna talk pay cuts, as i recall Ailshie was in the hunt for Maryville Director of schools and Stroud has been all over this city. Now why can't they take cuts as well????????

devilsturnaround a agree with you on everything. Everything in Greeneville is about politics! When i was there under coach Z we didn't have football period.....i guess they took that away from him just like they did with McCurry. When anything is good in Greeneville they try to run it off.....the same thing happened to Coach Duncan during his first couple of years but the players and parents fought it.

Its hard to justify a salary for a football coach who teaches weightlifting and football when you need to pare millions from your budget. I hate it but when money gets tight, sports and arts are the first things to suffer. Maybe we could ask Kathy May to pick up an extra class too. I hear we are down a weightlifting instructor. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Word I hear is that it is not about money but power and authority! Been told the coach did not attend faculty meetings etc. and that Ms. Stroud did not agree with some of the methods he used in teaching his classes. I was told that he told Ms. Stroud that he did not answer to her but that he answered to Bewley and Niswonger. The confrontation blew up into his immediate resignation. Just the scuttlebutt as I have received it.......take it for what it is worth! Either way this coaching debacle along with the drop in classification may make it very difficult for Greeneville to get a high quality proven coach to gamble his career by accepting the Greeneville job anytime soon.

Word I hear is that it is not about money but power and authority! Been told the coach did not attend faculty meetings etc. and that Ms. Stroud did not agree with some of the methods he used in teaching his classes. I was told that he told Ms. Stroud that he did not answer to her but that he answered to Bewley and Niswonger. The confrontation blew up into his immediate resignation. Just the scuttlebutt as I have received it.......take it for what it is worth! Either way this coaching debacle along with the drop in classification may make it very difficult for Greeneville to get a high quality proven coach to gamble his career by accepting the Greeneville job anytime soon.

I'm hearing the same thing. Hadn't heard about the faculty meetings, but had heard about the blow-up w/Stroud. I honestly suspect that there are several that will glad to see him go. The alleged "supplemental" pay was the source of a lot of hard feelings.

This sounds more like a clash of enormous egos. I agree, noone is gonna touch this coaching position when the principal has shown a pattern of blatant disregard for the athletic department. Take the suspension of the entire girls bball team along with 2 boys on the eve of the district tournaments and couple it with this incident that obviously got way out of hand and there's nothing Kent and Scott can offer that would reel in a top prospect. I just hope she gets a bit more tactful in her staff management techniques before we lose more valuable members our coaching staff.

Of course I would have loved to been a fly on the wall in this one and seen the look on Strouds face when she realized she just ran off the power-brokers "golden boy"....had to be an "oh crap" moment....no way she saw it coming.

I've heard the same thing too....Everyone in Greeneville knew when they hired coach Mac it was for football and not for him to be the best teacher. I know if i was a faculty member i would be upset that he was getting payed alot more than any other teacher or coach, but if the money was offered to you would you just turn it down? You can't hate him for making more money that donors are giving him