Greeneville's Head Coach Resigns

RyanD22

Dobyns Bennet - Graham Clark was number 2

TH after the st. Championships - Bill Bingham highly successful number 2

Science FB glory days were when the number 2 Bob Snake Evans took over. coach Eddie ......? at Farragut was a long time 2 and has had tremendous success since

Jeff County Coach Anderson a number 2, a young guy is already getting more out of Jeff than previous big name outside hires

Just some quick names. Not debating but there are examples out there otherwise.

Paterno was Asst. Coach at Penn State when he took over, nice career.

Phil Fulmer a number 2 won a national championship

Tom Osborne might be another weak example going from reciever coach to head coach at Nebraska

Number 2 Bobby Bowden replaced a Coach Peterson at WVa. Bowden ressurects WV FB goes 42-26 and propels himself to Fl. St.

Closer to home Ken Sparks Carson Newman College

Another small example is when Chuck Fairbank's number 2 and Offensive coordinator took over at Oklahoma, Barry Swtzer.

Comp, you know better to be so all encompassing (No College has ever been successful with the number two taking over.

Probably done posting on Coacht till August. You all behave and I'm out of here till then. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

You are right. But college is much different than HS. I do wish Greeneville all the luck in the world...it's just that I can't believe they would let him go without an effort. Either he was a primadonna and this sort of thing is his legacy or they made a major blunder. Just seems like this kind of surprise was someone's responsibility before the deal was made. I mean it is rumored he was making triple figures. Evidently his rep spoke for that. I guess we all can be surprised from time to time. Good luck to the number 2 because I think that is how it will stay.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody said you should feel sorry for him. But, the name calling and childish "attitude" about his weight implies that you do in fact have an "attitude" towards him. JMO

I have no more attitude for Phil than I do towards those fabulous AIG execs that were rewarded for taking that company down the toilet with tax-payer funded bonuses.....I mean teaching and administrative staff is being cut, tuition and fees are raised, kids will be turned away from our tax-payer funded state college and he can sit around on his rotund buttocks in his multi-million dollar home and collect his multi-million dollar UT funded unemployment...poor Phil.

HMMMMMM.....most of us would just get 275 a week and only if we did not cause our termination. My problem is really not so much with Phil as the all powerful AD's who approved the last couple of contract extensions.....and I think Fulmer would still be around if he had someone else to throw under the bus...i mean thats how he got the job in the first place.....

You are right. But college is much different than HS. I do wish Greeneville all the luck in the world...it's just that I can't believe they would let him go without an effort. Either he was a primadonna and this sort of thing is his legacy or they made a major blunder. Just seems like this kind of surprise was someone's responsibility before the deal was made. I mean it is rumored he was making triple figures. Evidently his rep spoke for that. I guess we all can be surprised from time to time. Good luck to the number 2 because I think that is how it will stay.

Shoot if the Greeneville job pays six figures maybe I should send them my resume....Comp, can I use you and Noonesfool as references?

I have no more attitude for Phil than I do towards those fabulous AIG execs that were rewarded for taking that company down the toilet with tax-payer funded bonuses.....I mean teaching and administrative staff is being cut, tuition and fees are raised, kids will be turned away from our tax-payer funded state college and he can sit around on his rotund buttocks in his multi-million dollar home and collect his multi-million dollar UT funded unemployment...poor Phil.

HMMMMMM.....most of us would just get 275 a week and only if we did not cause our termination. My problem is really not so much with Phil as the all powerful AD's who approved the last couple of contract extensions.....and I think Fulmer would still be around if he had someone else to throw under the bus...i mean thats how he got the job in the first place.....

Shoot if the Greeneville job pays six figures maybe I should send them my resume....Comp, can I use you and Noonesfool as references?

You got it Barb! I mean my Daughter plays basketball and has played most of the boy sports as she came up...So a woman football coach? Yeah...you Barb! So I admonish you to let LA go and stay at home and make history. What say you? Just think...the old man could get in free. I don't see nobody talking back to you! You got to be a diplomat and a motivator...I think you got that. And football knowledge...well, we all know you got that too! Noone'sfool could be your OC. I understand he has experience anyway. How about it 7Devils?

You got it Barb! I mean my Daughter plays basketball and has played most of the boy sports as she came up...So a woman football coach? Yeah...you Barb! So I admonish you to let LA go and stay at home and make history. What say you? Just think...the old man could get in free. I don't see nobody talking back to you! You got to be a diplomat and a motivator...I think you got that. And football knowledge...well, we all know you got that too! Noone'sfool could be your OC. I understand he has experience anyway. How about it 7Devils?

Nah Comp I guess I'll pass....not a big fan of teenage boys that I can't take to the woodshed. Besides I don't think any of you want ME molding young minds.

Bobby Bowden replaced a Coach Peterson at WVa. Bowden ressurects WV FB goes 42-26 and propels himself to Fl. St.

Dude, you are wayyyyyyyyy off! Let me educate you on WVU Football!

First off, there is no "Coach Peterson"... Jim Carlen was the coach at WVU before Bowden and was actually 10-1 before leaving for Texas Tech. Bowden was the offensive coordinator and actually was an assistant coach at FSU before coming to WVU. Carlen left WVU with a great team and also a great WR in Danny Buggs. Bowden did not really "propel" himself to WVU. In 1974, WVU suffered through a 4-7 season with losses to Richmond, Tulane, and Temple. He (Bowden) also hated the cold Northern weather and wanted to go back to Fla St. when they were courting him after the '74 season. He was on the hot seat in '75 and came through with a 9-3 record, but he lied stating that he wanted to stay at WVU... well after the Peach Bowl win, he contacted the WV governor and asked for permission to talk to FSU. The rest is history. Yeah Bowden had some good years at WVU and is an all-time great coach, he did not ressurect a failing program. Many people in WV still do not like Bowden (probably for leaving) and thats hard to believe (cause he is a fantastic guy), but like anywhere else in D1 college football, you always have 100,000 assistant coaches complaining.

As for Greeneville.... you would be best suited to stay with your #2 in Caine Ballard. He is the guy the kids trust and will play for. If your looking for another big fish, why bother? You guys just lost a great coach over some BS anyways, so why not give Ballard the job? Getting a new coach and scrambling over the summer to possibly change the offense and defense could disrupt an already great team/program.

Caine is able so take the new coach idea off the table!

Sounds like pure jealousy to me. So tell me the truth. If you had been in Phil's spot, would you have given the money back? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Sounds like pure jealousy to me. So tell me the truth. If you had been in Phil's spot, would you have given the money back? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

asked and answered in a previous post and heck yeah i'm jealous.....I wish someone would pay me big bucks to sit at home on my ponderous backside, DUH! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Caine is able so take the new coach idea off the table!

Love this quip, WP yer a pretty nice wordsmith....might want to print a sign for the next board meeting. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Love this quip, WP yer a pretty nice wordsmith....might want to print a sign for the next board meeting. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Well Let me be the first to apologize to you Mrs. Stroud, I may have said somethings that were entirely untrue and hurtful and for that i am truely sorry. I just wish this came out better for everyone in greeneville. Like usual its never that easy around here. Like the real truth in the Greeneville Sun of why the coach resigned and it wasn't b/c he didn't like it here. I guess it was handled in the most mature manner out there but for someone who is in there early twenties; I just don't get why this town is so low key on many major things and happenings. Tom. night there is a forum at a church downtown and to what i can gather its about What would greenevillians like to see happen to there downtown. Come on now when the man gets ready to spend his money he will. What was all the talk about rediscover Greeneville about anyways, they have already had all these forums.

I would also say that Ballard didn't get the head coaching job two years ago b/c he has never really been a HC. Now were moving down and why not give him a shot to let him prove that he can make this his team...

Well Let me be the first to apologize to you Mrs. Stroud, I may have said somethings that were entirely untrue and hurtful and for that i am truely sorry. I just wish this came out better for everyone in greeneville. Like usual its never that easy around here. Like the real truth in the Greeneville Sun of why the coach resigned and it wasn't b/c he didn't like it here. I guess it was handled in the most mature manner out there but for someone who is in there early twenties; I just don't get why this town is so low key on many major things and happenings. Tom. night there is a forum at a church downtown and to what i can gather its about What would greenevillians like to see happen to there downtown. Come on now when the man gets ready to spend his money he will. What was all the talk about rediscover Greeneville about anyways, they have already had all these forums.

I would also say that Ballard didn't get the head coaching job two years ago b/c he has never really been a HC. Now were moving down and why not give him a shot to let him prove that he can make this his team...

In case you haven't heard, rediscover Greeneville is on hold due to the economy...hard to attract new business in this climate and the money invested in the project was to attract new businesses downtown. The forum tomorrow is a chance for us to have some imput on the direction downtown development should move in light of the recent losses on Main and Depot street. I live downtown and can tell you,an awful lot of Greenevillians could care less what happens to the historic area. They have long since abandoned it for the Commons and Wal-mart. At the rate we are losing jobs(Eco-Quest bailed today) something must be done to prop up the sagging economy. A vibrant historic district will create tourism jobs in light of the historic significance of our town. I mean I would much rather see the money being spent there than on a football coach. And I would agree about Ballard even if we weren't playing down.

In case you haven't heard, rediscover Greeneville is on hold due to the economy...hard to attract new business in this climate and the money invested in the project was to attract new businesses downtown. The forum tomorrow is a chance for us to have some imput on the direction downtown development should move in light of the recent losses on Main and Depot street. I live downtown and can tell you,an awful lot of Greenevillians could care less what happens to the historic area. They have long since abandoned it for the Commons and Wal-mart. At the rate we are losing jobs(Eco-Quest bailed today) something must be done to prop up the sagging economy. A vibrant historic district will create tourism jobs in light of the historic significance of our town. I mean I would much rather see the money being spent there than on a football coach. And I would agree about Ballard even if we weren't playing down.

I mean you have to have jobs. You have to be able to recruit talent to come and live in your town. But don't downplay the education. Yes, I know you didn't refer to academics but what would be the sugar to sway someone to your area? Yes, the quality of the HS experience for their children. And yes, the fact that you had a championship football program featuring the high rent coach. I have spoken to many people who have confirmed that they moved here from elsewhere because in their drive up I-81 from Sevierville to Bristol year after year they finally decided this is Gods Country. And in particular Greeneville and the Tri-Cities exits. And they say the people are wonderful (they haven't been on coachT). And the weather...and the nature. So what's left. The jobs and the schools. I say McCurray and his success at Greeneville was much more valuable than just trophys and statistics. I say it is part of the overall economic attraction to bring in jobs, businesses, people to the area. I say he was essential to the overall well being of your town. I say it was money well spent.

I mean you have to have jobs. You have to be able to recruit talent to come and live in your town. But don't downplay the education. Yes, I know you didn't refer to academics but what would be the sugar to sway someone to your area? Yes, the quality of the HS experience for their children. And yes, the fact that you had a championship football program featuring the high rent coach. I have spoken to many people who have confirmed that they moved here from elsewhere because in their drive up I-81 from Sevierville to Bristol year after year they finally decided this is Gods Country. And in particular Greeneville and the Tri-Cities exits. And they say the people are wonderful (they haven't been on coachT). And the weather...and the nature. So what's left. The jobs and the schools. I say McCurray and his success at Greeneville was much more valuable than just trophys and statistics. I say it is part of the overall economic attraction to bring in jobs, businesses, people to the area. I say he was essential to the overall well being of your town. I say it was money well spent.

Academics aren't a problem in Greeneville, Comp....I have been trying to drill that into some heads for years....every time the "recruiting" topic comes up. Haven't you heard? We're a "blue ribbon school". We moved here for the schools. I paid tuition to the city to send my daughter here when we lived in the county so she could have AP and music programs that were lacking in the county schools at the time. Unemployment is nearly 15 percent in Greene County. School budgets are gonna be scary next year unless we can shore up the tax base. We have a beautiful modern high school with a great sports facility ajacent to an empty crumbling Downtown....not very inspiring. We have to decide where to spend the money and right now I'd rather see investors money going to keeping people employed and creating jobs than a high-dollar coach.