Upcoming Freshman

Fireman95

Just wandering if anyone could post some info on Smith

One stud to watch for is Mark Marchetti!

I've not ever seen Turbo Smith wrestle. However, I have seen Tyler Askey wrestle several times and he's solid! So, for Lopez and Smith to place ahead of Askey from GA is evidence that they're solid as well.

Results from the 2008 Southeast Kids & Cadet Regional

Duluth, GA

120 lbs.

1st Place - Turbo Smith of Tennessee

2nd Place - Aaron Lopez of Tennessee

3rd Place - Tyler Askey of Georgia

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not ever seen Turbo Smith wrestle. However, I have seen Tyler Askey wrestle several times and he's solid! So, for Lopez and Smith to place ahead of Askey from GA is evidence that they're solid as well.

Duluth, GA

120 lbs.

That doesn't surprise me, Turbo is something else. He lives and breathes this sport. Aaron Lopez beating Tyler Askey is not really a huge upset, but a shock none the less. Aaron has a good practice partner in his older brother next year, and Turbo has a couple as well /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> Turbo will take state. period. NOW, whether he does that his freshman year or senior year is up to him.

That doesn't surprise me, Turbo is something else. He lives and breathes this sport. Aaron Lopez beating Tyler Askey is not really a huge upset, but a shock none the less. Aaron has a good practice partner in his older brother next year, and Turbo has a couple as well /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> Turbo will take state. period. NOW, whether he does that his freshman year or senior year is up to him.

Aaron Lopez did not beat Tyler Askey. If you look at the brackets, Turbo Smith beat Tyler Askey and won his pool, Aaron Lopez won the other pool and wrestled Turbo Smith in the finals. Tyler Askey has a great shot at being a 4X state champion in Georgia. He has won many national tournaments such as Dixie, Liberty, Big Horn, USA Folkstyle etc.

Duluth, GA

120 lbs.

How in the heck did Turbo make 120 lbs ??????

Like ghouse stated in a previous post you need to look at some of the national tournament and find which kids are doing well. The top tournaments for middle schools kids would be Tulsa Nationals, Liberty Nationals, Reno Worlds and the Ohio Tournament of Champions. The USA Wrestling national kids & cadet tournaments will also give the young Tennessee boy's a good test. It is my understanding that some Tennessee state champions could not even place at the Ohio Tournament of Champions.

Like ghouse stated in a previous post you need to look at some of the national tournament and find which kids are doing well. The top tournaments for middle schools kids would be Tulsa Nationals, Liberty Nationals, Reno Worlds and the Ohio Tournament of Champions. The USA Wrestling national kids & cadet tournaments will also give the young Tennessee boy's a good test. It is my understanding that some Tennessee state champions could not even place at the Ohio Tournament of Champions.

cbg,

Lets be honest, most TN state champions can't / won't place at most of the tournaments named. Some will but the vast majority will not. Every now and then we end up with a deep weight in TN where multiple kids could place at one of these tournaments but it is a rarity.

cbg,

Lets be honest, most TN state champions can't / won't place at most of the tournaments named. Some will but the vast majority will not. Every now and then we end up with a deep weight in TN where multiple kids could place at one of these tournaments but it is a rarity.

That being true GHouse, your post only tells half of the story. It is hard to have a lot of Tn guys place at these tournaments because in any given bracket there might be only one guy from TN but six or seven guys from a state like Ohio. Part of the problem you do mention, but I think that the simple numerical advantage these states have at these tournaments is another underlying factor that makes TN "look bad" at these national tournaments.

That being true GHouse, your post only tells half of the story. It is hard to have a lot of Tn guys place at these tournaments because in any given bracket there might be only one guy from TN but six or seven guys from a state like Ohio. Part of the problem you do mention, but I think that the simple numerical advantage these states have at these tournaments is another underlying factor that makes TN "look bad" at these national tournaments.

In Hoc,

I don't think TN as a state ever looks bad at these tournaments. These tournaments are not about a state's performance but about individuals. We as a state simply don't have enough individuals of that quality level yet. Whether Ohio or any other state brings more kids doesn't make a difference because their kids on average are better than our kids. In many of the brackets where there is 1 TN kid versus other states that have 5-6 guys the TN kids still place and in some cases win it. That is because the TN kid is just better than the others (yes I know this was obvious). The problem is that TN just doesn't have that many of those kids, even our state champs aren't necessarily ready just because they are state champs.

Part of learning to compete at that level is going and getting the experience at the tournaments even if you aren't placing in the first few trips. You would see more placers at these tournaments if more kids traveled to them sooner and started stepping up to those competition levels.

In Hoc,

I don't think TN as a state ever looks bad at these tournaments. These tournaments are not about a state's performance but about individuals. We as a state simply don't have enough individuals of that quality level yet. Whether Ohio or any other state brings more kids doesn't make a difference because their kids on average are better than our kids. In many of the brackets where there is 1 TN kid versus other states that have 5-6 guys the TN kids still place and in some cases win it. That is because the TN kid is just better than the others (yes I know this was obvious). The problem is that TN just doesn't have that many of those kids, even our state champs aren't necessarily ready just because they are state champs.

Part of learning to compete at that level is going and getting the experience at the tournaments even if you aren't placing in the first few trips. You would see more placers at these tournaments if more kids traveled to them sooner and started stepping up to those competition levels.

ghouse,

Most everyone knows what they must do to be a great wrestler at a young age, it's just that most people don't want to work that hard. On a side note, I am not sure that I would include the Dixie Nationals in the list of top tournaments. While it does have some very good individuals it dosen't have the depth of the other tournaments at this time. If you really want to watch some great middle school wrestling go to flowrestling and check out the Ohio Middle School State Tournament.

ghouse,

Most everyone knows what they must do to be a great wrestler at a young age, it's just that most people don't want to work that hard. On a side note, I am not sure that I would include the Dixie Nationals in the list of top tournaments. While it does have some very good individuals it dosen't have the depth of the other tournaments at this time.

cbg,

I would agree with you that Dixie doesn't have the depth of Tulsa or even Liberty. But I would say for the discussion of who may be the better 8th graders coming up in TN it is still very relevant. There is a larger percentage of TN and SE kids in general at Dixie so anyone doing there is still likely to be in the top group of TN wrestlers. No it does not mean as much on the national scale but it will help differentiate levels of the kids in TN.

Thankfully I don't have to watch the Ohio Middle school state because I am still seeing most of their best kids at the bigger tournaments like Tulsa and Liberty. But I agree, Ohio has excellent depth at that age range.

Tyler Askey has a great shot at being a 4X state champion in Georgia.

At what level.....(1A - 5A)...and at what HS weight?

Edit: I found it...looks like Newnan so 5A and 119 or 125. If he were to grow he may have his hands full with TJ Mitchell and if he stays at 119 might get a match from Brian St. James.....both defending state champions....and both won 12 - 2 in state finals.