State Tournament Pairing Solution

FirestoneTigers

Ok. People are suggesting seeding, whether according to record or strength of schedule, etc. But no one seems to think of this idea:

How about we pair teams up according to sectionals? One year, match the 2 from the West against the 2 from the Mid, and the next year against the 2 from the Northeast, and just rotate which sections will play which every year. As a matter of fact, this is the way I just assumed they always actually did it, and I never thought about it. But about a week ago, I was told about the blind draw. I had always wondered how Bartlett played Hamilton in the first round in 2001 when Bartlett won it all. Anyway, pair up according to sectionals. Seriously, a blind draw is utterly ridiculous. I mean, Come on.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with doing by sections is that you will have certain sections that are traditionally stronger than others. (Example Memphis is 2A and 3A are always going to be really strongerAnd how are you going to decide who gets to play what sections.

And the only way that keeps the best two teams away from each other is if you have the best two in the same section. It would work this year with 1A (Humboldt and Manasass) but what happens if the best two are from the Middle and East and they have to play each other first round?

We don't have a perfect system in place with the blind draw but we have the best that we have come up with.

One possibility might be:

The coaches of the 8 teams meet morning after sectional, much like when they draw. Each coach ranks the teams #1 thru #8, then ALL the coaches points are tallied and much like an AP poll they are seeded. Yes, there might be collusion by 2 or 3 coaches, BUT it might work, and it might even make for an excellent draw, and the #1 seeds would have a target on their back, as the coaches IN THE TOURNEY put them there. You can call it the PRR PLAN!!!!

Thats all that matters. That WEEKEND.

If your the best team you can overcome ALL odds.

The season matters. Either Humboldt or Manassas will play only one game in the Boro while a weaker team from the East will get to play at least 2. I watched Temple play White House back in December and GBA in Feb. There is no way that team should be still playing with either Humboldt or Manassas eliminated. These are kids. A lot of them are playing their last games. I think they would much rather play 2-3 more games instead of one more. For all of you that keep saying it doesn't matter, let's see if Memphis plays UCONN in their first tournament game. It's not going to happen....

The season matters. Either Humboldt or Manassas will play only one game in the Boro while a weaker team from the East will get to play at least 2. I watched Temple play White House back in December and GBA in Feb. There is no way that team should be still playing with either Humboldt or Manassas eliminated. These are kids. A lot of them are playing their last games. I think they would much rather play 2-3 more games instead of one more. For all of you that keep saying it doesn't matter, let's see if Memphis plays UCONN in their first tournament game. It's not going to happen....

Comparing apples to oranges if you compare a high school system to the NCAA's....

who cares if they are kids the best team will win period. everybody's goal i to make it to murfreesboro and see what happens when you get there win and advance thats the rule

who cares if they are kids the best team will win period. everybody's goal i to make it to murfreesboro and see what happens when you get there win and advance thats the rule

The kids care....Like I said.....The best teams should have the opportunity to play the most games. 1 and 2 should never meet in the first round...

The kids care....Like I said.....The best teams should have the opportunity to play the most games. 1 and 2 should never meet in the first round...

There are no official rankings, therefore, there are no 1 and 2. The kids don't want to win one game, they want to win it all. Anything less will be a disappointment. Play ball. Win three games and then you can say you're the number one team. Until then, there isn't.