Why does Central always lay an egg in Murphreesburo?

bigbearsfan

Schedule Bradley Co, Cleveland, Walker Valley.....hmmmm year in and year out, that should be 6 competitive/possible to lose games. maybe the best that chattanooga has to offer could help also......

Didn't Central lose to Marshall Co. last year on a last second shot in the finals ? So to say they lay an egg every year isn't quite the case. I believe Central has made the state 9 out of the last 13 years as someone said. That in itself is unbelievable and a feat that a team or maybe 2 could even equal.

And I agree with PRR. Schedule those teams every year would definitely be some stronger competition. And it would be more beneficial to lose to everyone of them by 3 - 5 or 10 than to beat a team by 50 or 6o points that can't give you a good look.

And it's not fair to say that about a team that has played in this tournament as many times as Central has and not won it. You know it takes a lot of luck regardless of how good your team is. Look at Gibson Co. they have been to the state plenty of times and haven;t never won the Gold. But they came thru in flying colors this year and it wouldn't surprise me to see them back in this same game next year.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will very soon I'm sure, but again it takes a lot of luck to win one. The ball doesn't bounce the way you would like for it to every time.

The one thing I would also point out is it is nearly impossible to beat Mcminn Central at home if you are not used to playing in a small gym. On the other hand when they travel to a bigger gym they struggle against teams they should beat easily. Then there's playing at a college size gym, if you are used to a small gym then playing at Murphy center is going to be even more difficult. When you play teams such as LA, or Upperman, their style of play is well suited for this arena. The Chargers are used to short sprints and the type of offense used is suited to that style. It is very difficult to go to the long run/jog and keep up arm strength if your not used to it. Still every year they are right there do not be dissapointed how many teams are a state threat year after year.

Another interesting thing about this year at McMinn Central. I just started counting how many athletes in this years

class (boys and girls) that have signed athletic scholarships. So far I have came up with fifteen. WOW this is unheard of

in a school this small. Also I know of three or four more good athletes that signed academic scholarships instead of

athletic. And looking at who's left, there will probably be some more sign later. This has got to be another record

to put in the books.

I ask the same question before the state tournament, and was attacked by the loyal central fans. I hate to say it....BUT I WAS RIGHT!

Morgan has been blessed with a lot of talent over the years (enough to win at least one state championship), but can never beat the good teams at the state tournament.

In my opinion, here are some reasons why:

1. He does not play a tough schedule that would prepare his team for the state tournament. For example, the Lenoir City Christmas Tournament is not going to prepare his team for post season.

2. He cannont man to man press every team at the state tournament. They blow out these teams locally with ball pressure and forcing turnovers, but when they get to the state tournament that gambling out of control defense allows for lay ups, fouls, open 3's, and offensive rebounds against the good teams.

3. Offensively, they can get away with going 1 on 1 against the teams on their schedule, but the good teams at the state tournamnent can guard. Run an offense that will make the good teams have to guard, and not a one pass and jack it up offense.

4. He does not adjust to the other teams strengths and weaknesses. For example, good scouting will tell you not to guard players on the other team that can't shoot (play in the paint) or pressure players that can shoot but can't put it on the floor. Central plays one way and one way only.

I see your points about the schedule and style of play but let me ask you a question? do you think the system that Mcminn runs develops the talent? I just think that playing man to man full court, keeping the offense simple and using the time to develop players instead of a complicated system is why mcminn has so many good players. I believe the aau program they have along with this system is why a school like mcminn has a chance to have the talent regardless of schedule the cance to win 30 games a year. do i think they should run some zone and use an offense with a little more movement sure. but the system and the fundamental skills taught to the players since they're 9 years old is why mcminn gets a chance to go to the state every year. look at oak ridge mulitple defenses better athletes and they didn't get out of regions. when is the last time they won state? i guess pruden can't coach? this thread is crazy.

I see your points about the schedule and style of play but let me ask you a question? do you think the system that Mcminn runs develops the talent? I just think that playing man to man full court, keeping the offense simple and using the time to develop players instead of a complicated system is why mcminn has so many good players. I believe the aau program they have along with this system is why a school like mcminn has a chance to have the talent regardless of schedule the cance to win 30 games a year. do i think they should run some zone and use an offense with a little more movement sure. but the system and the fundamental skills taught to the players since they're 9 years old is why mcminn gets a chance to go to the state every year. look at oak ridge mulitple defenses better athletes and they didn't get out of regions. when is the last time they won state? i guess pruden can't coach? this thread is crazy.

I would agree that the talent that McMinn Central has year in and year out is due to their youth programs, aau, and their commitment to basketball at an early age. However, these reasons should also contribute to more success at the state tournament. To get better you have to play better competition on a regular basis. Once these girls get to high school they are not consistently exposed to great competition (in the regular season) that will allow them to improve at a level to be successful in Murfreesboro. It is not obvious to me that morgan teaches fundamentals....being talented and fundamentally sound should equal to a state championship. Reminder: The thread is "Why does Central always lay an egg in Murfreesboro". I feel the reasons I posted yesterday are accurate in why they are not successful. If I'm not mistaken.... Jill Pruden does have a state championship at the AAA level???? Whats your point?????

I didn't mean anything bad toward Jill at all I think she's great. my point was you never really know whats going to happen when you get there and it really doesn't matter the system. i do believe the talent is developed there at mcminn and as far as schedule goes i don't follow mcminn that close. i do try and watch them whenever possible and believe they get a lot out of the kids. joe young is as good as it gets in teaching fundamentals. i just think mcminn gets all they can out of their kids and maybe it's just not enough.

Didn't Central lose to Marshall Co. last year on a last second shot in the finals ? So to say they lay an egg every year isn't quite the case. I believe Central has made the state 9 out of the last 13 years as someone said. That in itself is unbelievable and a feat that a team or maybe 2 could even equal.

And I agree with PRR. Schedule those teams every year would definitely be some stronger competition. And it would be more beneficial to lose to everyone of them by 3 - 5 or 10 than to beat a team by 50 or 6o points that can't give you a good look.

And it's not fair to say that about a team that has played in this tournament as many times as Central has and not won it. You know it takes a lot of luck regardless of how good your team is. Look at Gibson Co. they have been to the state plenty of times and haven;t never won the Gold. But they came thru in flying colors this year and it wouldn't surprise me to see them back in this same game next year.

Marshall Co beat Milan in the finals last year.