Rhea County

supereagle

Yes the middle school baseball team is a county wide and they are very good and rarley lose either. It would be great if the middle school football was a county wide team. Yeah I believe it would heip a school like dayton and their players if there was a county wide team. I know they have talked about it but never could agree on it.

As a coach in the SVC I have the utmost respect for all the middle school coaches in Rhea County. I think Jerry Cook is one of the best coaches I have ever known, high school or middle school. His teams were always competitive and really pushed other teams to get better. The new coach at SC seems to have picked up right where he left off. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" Kinney at Rhea Central also does a good job and his teams are competitive and have a good mix of talent. If these two teams were combined to form a single team, it might look good on paper but I don't know how the execution would pan out. Grundy county forms a team like this but they tend to struggle with issues like getting kids out, getting them to practice, and keeping numbers up. The kids, when playing for the school, get a lot of respect from their peers, they just go straight from their last class to practice, the coach is on staff to work with athletes (in most cases), and with it being promoted as a school team there is a lot of inschool promotion; Pep Rallies, Homecoming, Cheerleaders, etc. Right now I believe RC plays Ocoee middle and Lake Forest middle and are competitive. If they combined numbers they would have a far greater pool of players to pull from than most middle schools and although they would be very tough a lot of middle schools that feed 1a schools might find playing a combined Rhea County less than desirable. Besides if you were going to do this you would want to play larger more competitive schools in my opinion.

The benefits of having a sixth, seventh, and eighth grade teams might mean that the kids spend 7 years in a system instead of 4.Kids learn to work together.

I am not saying that it could not be done but it would have to be a well thought out plan, that adressed a multitude of situations. I have a lot of respect for The middle schools in Rhea County.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a coach in the SVC I have the utmost respect for all the middle school coaches in Rhea County. I think Jerry Cook is one of the best coaches I have ever known, high school or middle school. His teams were always competitive and really pushed other teams to get better. The new coach at SC seems to have picked up right where he left off. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" Kinney at Rhea Central also does a good job and his teams are competitive and have a good mix of talent. If these two teams were combined to form a single team, it might look good on paper but I don't know how the execution would pan out. Grundy county forms a team like this but they tend to struggle with issues like getting kids out, getting them to practice, and keeping numbers up. The kids, when playing for the school, get a lot of respect from their peers, they just go straight from their last class to practice, the coach is on staff to work with athletes (in most cases), and with it being promoted as a school team there is a lot of inschool promotion; Pep Rallies, Homecoming, Cheerleaders, etc. Right now I believe RC plays Ocoee middle and Lake Forest middle and are competitive. If they combined numbers they would have a far greater pool of players to pull from than most middle schools and although they would be very tough a lot of middle schools that feed 1a schools might find playing a combined Rhea County less than desirable. Besides if you were going to do this you would want to play larger more competitive schools in my opinion.

The benefits of having a sixth, seventh, and eighth grade teams might mean that the kids spend 7 years in a system instead of 4.Kids learn to work together.

I am not saying that it could not be done but it would have to be a well thought out plan, that adressed a multitude of situations. I have a lot of respect for The middle schools in Rhea County.

Well said. I think that the football programs should stay as they are.

True dat. That upcoming sophomore class has NOT been given the recognition and props it deserves.

As for Fitz wanting to leave or testing waters elsewhere, man, money makes the world go 'round. Maye they offered him a bucket full more than Rhea Co. Other things make the world go 'round, too, like opportunities for your family members. His wife's a teacher and nobody likes her - she's terrible in the classroom and has a bad rep with the kids so maybe he thinks a fresh start would be good for her. Also, they have a child with many challenges. Maybe another area has more opportunities, schools better equipped to give their son what he is going to need in coming years. Hometown loyalty aside - come on, give the guy a break. Does anybody remember the man stepping down to let Hammontree have a shot at the head coach position? If that doesn't illustrate a MAN, I don't know what does?

If he wants to better himself career wise and make a better life for his family - and that leads him somewhere else - how can anybody point a finger at him for that? Come on, lighten up on the guy. I hope he stays but if he doesn't, it doesn't make him Satan.

Knowing coach and his wife I think it is a pretty sorry move to get on here and talk about a mans wife. If some don't like her than she is probably doing what she is suppose to. I think she is teaching at Chattanooga State. Grow up a little bit anyway you have never had a kid in her classroom you are way to old!!! If you want to get on coach do it thats what these boards are for but keep his family out of it!!

Knowing coach and his wife I think it is a pretty sorry move to get on here and talk about a mans wife. If some don't like her than she is probably doing what she is suppose to. I think she is teaching at Chattanooga State. Grow up a little bit anyway you have never had a kid in her classroom you are way to old!!! If you want to get on coach do it thats what these boards are for but keep his family out of it!!

if its relevant to the conversation then who cares.../ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

His wife's a teacher and nobody likes her - she's terrible in the classroom and has a bad rep with the kids so maybe he thinks a fresh start would be good for her.

Well I suppose you could have been a little less harsh, but I've heard some of the same things as well.

All that junk aside, didn't summer workouts start this week Rhea Co.? Give us some good news..

First, you don't know anything about me, you don't know if I have had a kid in her class or not, and last I knew, she was teaching at the high school not CSTCC. I wasn't attacking the coach's family, I was stating a fact. She is not a popular teacher, not at the high school and not at the elementary school she used to teach at. My statement was relevant to the conversation at play here. I was trying to make the point that just because a man puts in a resume somewhere else doesn't make him disloyal to his team. Fitzgerald has alot more going on in his life besides the hours he spends on the sidelines with a clipboard and a whistle. Maybe him fishing for a new job was because of other factors in his life. I know it's a real hard thing for you to grasp but there is life outside of football.

I wasn't "getting on" coach by no means anyhow. Now get off my back and get BACK on topic.

Well I suppose you could have been a little less harsh, but I've heard some of the same things as well.

All that junk aside, didn't summer workouts start this week Rhea Co.? Give us some good news..

Gotya. Maybe the statement was harsh. But it's my opinion and I stand by it.

Yes summer workouts started this week - they're working out in three two-hr sessions Mon Wed and Fri so they're not all working out at the same time together. That's all I know.

Yes they did and the 6 a.m. session was the biggest at 44 players, which was kind of suprising to have that many players that early. The other 2 sessions had around 15 to 20 in each. There was only 5 varsity players that didn't show and all of them were either on vacation or sick. The first day was really good had players from the freshmen through seniors all working out together. Which is good because I believe they are going to have 9th-12th all working together all the way up to the start of the season. The schedule the coaches have worked out is really good I like what I seen in the way they are going about this summer. Fridays looks to be the toughest with the weight room session first then 10 110's 10 60's 10 50's and I think they are going to do some agility work too tomorrow. Overall good first day showing having close to 80 players show up so things are looking good. Like stated above me the sessions are Mon Wed and Friday 6,8,10. Which each day is alittle different too. I kind of like the move to the morning like later on in the summer when it gets hot and it really helps the kids that have jobs and other activites like summer baseball.

I agree with you. And I think that the middle schools should stay as they are in reguards to football.

All in all I don't think it would make that much of a difference for them to be together. It would be nice if they all 3 ran some variation of the high schools offense though.

Thats what I am thinking also. It is my understanding that is what the Spring City coach's are looking at doing.