Hillsboro Girls Basketball State Champs

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think open enrollment helps or hurts athletics (football and girls basketball state champions) at Hillsboro?

I assume you are kidding. Most of those kids didn't go to feeder schools of Hillsboro (Perry-Oliver, Harrison-Hill, and Crouch-Head (I think)). I know that Pace went to West End, but I don't know about Shelton. I don't know about the kids off the bench. Without open enrollment, Hillsboro would be up and down like the rest of Metro.

This is not to take anything away from them. They played within the rules and played well to win the state.

I assume you are kidding. Most of those kids didn't go to feeder schools of Hillsboro (Perry-Oliver, Harrison-Hill, and Crouch-Head (I think)). I know that Pace went to West End, but I don't know about Shelton. I don't know about the kids off the bench. Without open enrollment, Hillsboro would be up and down like the rest of Metro.

This is not to take anything away from them. They played within the rules and played well to win the state.

Seems they played within the rules and its ok.

Any other schools in open enrollment in District 12. McGavock might be.

Seems they played within the rules and its ok.

Any other schools in open enrollment in District 12. McGavock might be.

In Metro, the open enrollment schools are Hillsboro, Stratford, Whites Creek, and Maplewood. Because Hillsboro has a good academic reputation and the others don't, it is the only one that has really benefitted from open enrollment.

In Metro, the open enrollment schools are Hillsboro, Stratford, Whites Creek, and Maplewood. Because Hillsboro has a good academic reputation and the others don't, it is the only one that has really benefitted from open enrollment.

So I guess what you are saying is academically Hillsboro takes from the rest and would you suspect that ahtletically would be then same thing and I was wondering if that was what you meant? These schools certainly need to get their academics up to play on an even playing field. Its very interesting that Hiollsboro leads acadenically and also leads metro athletically also. Are you hearing there is any headway being made for them to be doing better? They all need to compete.

So I guess what you are saying is academically Hillsboro takes from the rest and would you suspect that ahtletically would be then same thing and I was wondering if that was what you meant? These schools certainly need to get their academics up to play on an even playing field. Its very interesting that Hiollsboro leads acadenically and also leads metro athletically also. Are you hearing there is any headway being made for them to be doing better? They all need to compete.

It is a self-fulfilling prophecy. A good eighth grade athlete can go to their zoned school which may or may not be very good, or they can go to an open enrollment school. Well, they have heard Hillsboro is better academically and athletically, so they go there. Now you have more good students and athletes at Hillsboro than at Maplewood, Stratford, or Whites Creek and that pattern continues the next year.

Conversely, a parent of a child who is zoned to one of the other three has heard those schools aren't as good so they send their child to a different school. That becomes one less good student which leads to a worse school. Then that pattern repeats itself.

If you remove all of the good students from a school, the school is going to go down. That is what has happened in Metro and is happening to a lot of public schools. Just wait, Murfreesboro is just starting down this path.

It is a self-fulfilling prophecy. A good eighth grade athlete can go to their zoned school which may or may not be very good, or they can go to an open enrollment school. Well, they have heard Hillsboro is better academically and athletically, so they go there. Now you have more good students and athletes at Hillsboro than at Maplewood, Stratford, or Whites Creek and that pattern continues the next year.

Conversely, a parent of a child who is zoned to one of the other three has heard those schools aren't as good so they send their child to a different school. That becomes one less good student which leads to a worse school. Then that pattern repeats itself.

If you remove all of the good students from a school, the school is going to go down. That is what has happened in Metro and is happening to a lot of public schools. Just wait, Murfreesboro is just starting down this path.

Metro, so here we are. Whats the answer?

Memphis City has open enrollment, so the game was evenly matched. Open enrollment does leave the rest of us behind athletically and will eventually do the same academically without effort at the individual school level...

That is exactly what I'm posting about but I am post for an answer from Metroman as to what ideas he has to how the academics can be elevated and incentives be given. Metro, it is a bad situation for a school to work their behinds off to keep their academics, have one one their schools go to State, win the state and hardly anyone gets to go see them. What incentive it that and how does the School build pride? It's true, some may think its giving some school some advantage but IMO, IMO, more power to whoever heads up getting the job done and more power to the students who took direction to do their part but they were not allowed to finish the job and support the other students who did their part too. And to the other schools in that same District, GET YOUR GRADES UP or JUST NOT BEING ABLE TO SUPPORT YOUR SCHOOL IS NOT THE WORST THING THAT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU. Antioch has led the way and a lot of students are trying to go to that school. WHY CAN"T YOU DO THE SAME THING? This has as much to do with academics as athletics and if they don't attend class and pass like the students in Antioch, they shouldn't play BUT don't penualize the students at Antioch. Somehow, someway they should be give extra credit for maintaining standards. Metro, need a response from you if you would like to. You seem to be "one of" the adult leaders in district 12 and keep up with about everything that is going on along with others.