The crowd was terrible this year (Is it just me?)

nebuntyn

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anybody that travels 3 hours is going to change their mind about an extra 20 minutes. Plus the NCAA Tournament is a big reason the attendance is down. Going to the state tournament this year never even crossed my mind.

Good Point but I thought the state tourney usually falls around the same time anyway. I wanted to stay and watch the NCAA's so I just brought my laptop and watched online. Historically, for whatever reason, Memphis teams 9 out 10 times don't bring a large contingent of fans so that's part of it. Also with the economy the way it is some stuff such as attending the state tourney has to take the back seat to more important things. Most of the people their were casual bball fans like myself that sit and watch and don't really cheer. Lastly teams that usually have a large traveling fan base such as Dyer County, Bolivar Central, Haywood, Humboldt, Siegel, and Jackson Liberty either didn't make it or got put out early...

Putting the tournament at FedEx Forum you would have a record crowd of Memphis people but what about East Tennessee people? Would be really hard to convince those fans to come all three days if thier team plays. I know a lot of people this year who went Wednesday, thier team won, and didn't go Friday because they wanted to be able to go Saturday if they made it. The location and format are not the problems.

I can think or a couple of reasons (and not blaming or downing anyone here) for the small crowds. Out of the 6 participants on Saturday, 4 of which are from Memphis, which as discussed doesn't travel well. So these teams played the majority of the games for the week. Also in Single A you had 4 (or was it 3) private schools that also do not traditionally travel well as their single A public school counterparts.

The boys tournament usually does fall on the opening round of the NCAAs so I don't think that has much to with the decline.

I don't think you can blame anyone or make a big fuss over it. It is just the way it played out this year.

Putting the tournament at FedEx Forum you would have a record crowd of Memphis people but what about East Tennessee people? Would be really hard to convince those fans to come all three days if thier team plays. I know a lot of people this year who went Wednesday, thier team won, and didn't go Friday because they wanted to be able to go Saturday if they made it. The location and format are not the problems.

I can think or a couple of reasons (and not blaming or downing anyone here) for the small crowds. Out of the 6 participants on Saturday, 4 of which are from Memphis, which as discussed doesn't travel well. So these teams played the majority of the games for the week. Also in Single A you had 4 (or was it 3) private schools that also do not traditionally travel well as their single A public school counterparts.

The boys tournament usually does fall on the opening round of the NCAAs so I don't think that has much to with the decline.

I don't think you can blame anyone or make a big fuss over it. It is just the way it played out this year.

All excellent points. People that are complaining about the format apparently fail to realize that in the end if the same combination of teams make the finals in whatever format you use the attendence will be down. To make it to the BORO is every ballers dream, I hope the TSSAA do not feel the need to kill it for a lot of kids. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

All excellent points. People that are complaining about the format apparently fail to realize that in the end if the same combination of teams make the finals in whatever format you use the attendence will be down. To make it to the BORO is every ballers dream, I hope the TSSAA do not feel the need to kill it for a lot of kids. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I agree/disagree. The format is fine but take a look at THIS year, Memphis would have been way more rocking in attendance than the BORO was. Traveling to Murfreesboro is not a problem for me, I've been attending state tourneys way before I could drive, and will continue to go wherever it is. I really do believe the Memphis people would attend heavily if the tourney came around every 3 years.

I don't think any of the state tournaments are making any money on their own. There are corporate sponsors for the Clinic Bowl and Farm Bureau sponsors the basketball tournament, but from purely a fan's standpoint, there's not that many showing up.

I think Super Sectionals are the way to go to make money and then have a Final Four tournament on a rotating basis to one of the 4 sections. Separate the girls from the boys and 2 of the 4 sections are hosting a tournement every year. Travel is cut, fans are closer to the site and particularly for those sections with fan bases that might not travel so well. And, they need to get on with the getting on during the post season and not drag it out so long.

I don't think any of the state tournaments are making any money on their own. There are corporate sponsors for the Clinic Bowl and Farm Bureau sponsors the basketball tournament, but from purely a fan's standpoint, there's not that many showing up.

I think Super Sectionals are the way to go to make money and then have a Final Four tournament on a rotating basis to one of the 4 sections. Separate the girls from the boys and 2 of the 4 sections are hosting a tournement every year. Travel is cut, fans are closer to the site and particularly for those sections with fan bases that might not travel so well. And, they need to get on with the getting on during the post season and not drag it out so long.

I don't know what the answer is.....but they have to do something...Even I noticed from watching on television that the crowd was terrible. The Division II championship game for AA was packed between Ensworth and Father Ryan. It was not "just a normal Friday night game" - I agree the super sectionals would be a good idea with a rotating site for the FINAL FOUR....That way if the Memphis does get 4-5 of their top teams that attendance demand would increase....

The reason its at MTSU is a combination of things. The first being it is the most centrally located, so as the teams to the west or the east are not at a big disadvantage for traveling. The venue is not the problem, the sommet center would be a lot more expensive and a total waste of space. The fact of the matter is the Memphis schools do not turn out even at the championship games. I have never attended one of their home regular season games so I don't know if the fans show for those. I seriously doubt moving the tournament to Memphis would be the answer. No local teams in the tournament this year no doubt cut down on the Murfreesboro spectators.

The reason its at MTSU is a combination of things. The first being it is the most centrally located, so as the teams to the west or the east are not at a big disadvantage for traveling. The venue is not the problem, the sommet center would be a lot more expensive and a total waste of space. The fact of the matter is the Memphis schools do not turn out even at the championship games. I have never attended one of their home regular season games so I don't know if the fans show for those. I seriously doubt moving the tournament to Memphis would be the answer. No local teams in the tournament this year no doubt cut down on the Murfreesboro spectators.

Centrally located is the only way to go, if you rotate between the 3 biggest cities Knoxville would not get as many people to Memphis and vice-versa on Memphis to Knoxville, just the way it played out this year with most teams in the tourney finals were East and West.