West Tenn - Where are you?

StatMan08

Unfortunately we haven't had much to thump our chest about. TCA has done a good job lately, but when the Renfoes are gone they will have a harder time winning the big one. JTK is right about SBEC, but after this year their stock will go down. St. Benedict is probably down this year compared to the past, but they always seemed to be in the title game. The problem is that the other team in that title game will probably be GPS, which may be the best team in the state in any division. As far as talent goes, I believe that alot of athletic girls get into soccer, basketball, and cheer. These are promoted more and better in the west and we tend to do better at these sports when the girls get older.

Well I guess with as bad as you say it is here in west Tn. we should just talk our kids into giving up & quit playing softball and talk them into playing some other sport like soccer & basketball? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I guess with as bad as you say it is here in west Tn. we should just talk our kids into giving up & quit playing softball and talk them into playing some other sport like soccer & basketball? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Easy plate....the facts show that West Tennessee has two State Championship in the last 20 years in softball. No one is bashing the girls.

Thank you Spojo

I can't stand basketball, it's rammed down our throats here, or soccer. I just wish we did a better job promoting softball in the west. We have some great athletes, but like I said before, they start playing bb as soon as they can stand. Soccer has become like kudzu, spreading everywhere and choking out anything in its path. There is just not enough choices for softball players. I can only think of two long running organizations for softball in the Memphis metro area, Collierville and Germantown. Which is why Collierville and Houston usually fields decent teams, but even these teams are having trouble as of late. Germantown HS used to have a decent team until the school board redrew the boundaries. If you want to go to a private school and softball is your sport, then you look to St. Benedict.

Statistically speaking, the west hasn't trailed that much behind most of Tenn. If you look at State Championships, Chattanooga has the most to be proud of because 20% of their schools have won at least 1 in the last 20 years. Only 9% of Middle Tenn schools have won at least one, followed by East at 3% and West at 1%. Only 25 out of 351 softball playing schools this year have won one in the last twenty years, with 14 of those being multiple winners. When you look at it, it's really only certain programs that win State, i.e. Ezell, Soddy, Goodpasture, GPS. If winning state is your only criteria on how good one area is then you can't really say anyone besides the Chattanooga as a whole area has been tremendously successful. West Tennessee is definitely improving in softball with a lot of travel ball being played. Teams like Camden, Covington, and St. Benedict have been knocking on the door for years. It's just that a few certain softball programs have been in their way, just like the rest of the teams in the state.

I can't stand basketball, it's rammed down our throats here, or soccer. I just wish we did a better job promoting softball in the west. We have some great athletes, but like I said before, they start playing bb as soon as they can stand. Soccer has become like kudzu, spreading everywhere and choking out anything in its path. There is just not enough choices for softball players. I can only think of two long running organizations for softball in the Memphis metro area, Collierville and Germantown. Which is why Collierville and Houston usually fields decent teams, but even these teams are having trouble as of late. Germantown HS used to have a decent team until the school board redrew the boundaries. If you want to go to a private school and softball is your sport, then you look to St. Benedict.

I don't care alot for basketball either. I do enjoy softball alot but it will never have as large a presence here as it does in other area's of the state. Middle Tn. is a more metropolitan area with a greater density of people. The odds are just not in the West's favor, Numbers don't lie. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Rural area schools can from time to time string together runs when they have a group of very commited/talented girls come thru the program.(just like football & basketball teams do) St. Benedict has an edge since they are located in a heavier populated area similiar to alot of schools in middle Tn. this should help them be competitive year in & year out. You keep knockin on the door & someone will eventually answer. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Ok, hear is an answer you may not want to hear and that is that the people in the West just do not have it.....of course your private schools are good but do not be expectin them to be coming to the "boro" and goin home with any of them trophies! If you have not notice they will not even make any comments on this topic because they are not reading it or just do not care! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

You are right, some think this is just something to past the time between basketball seasons. It makes me sad that you think the teams are not worthy of your standards. The only way to get the answer is to watch these young ladies play the game we love to watch and wait and see who goes to the 'boro' and bring home the trophy. Either way these ladies desereve our support because they do play with fire and heart.

You are right, some think this is just something to past the time between basketball seasons. It makes me sad that you think the teams are not worthy of your standards. The only way to get the answer is to watch these young ladies play the game we love to watch and wait and see who goes to the 'boro' and bring home the trophy. Either way these ladies desereve our support because they do play with fire and heart.

If this was directed toward me, then you couldn't be more wrong. I want to raise the standard of West TN softball. I know there are some very talented players in the west. The best all around softball player in the nation right now is Chelsea Bramlett, IMO, came from West TN.

If this was directed toward me, then you couldn't be more wrong. I want to raise the standard of West TN softball. I know there are some very talented players in the west. The best all around softball player in the nation right now is Chelsea Bramlett, IMO, came from West TN.

No harm was intended. I too want the talent raised in West Tn. like it is in basketball. I have been following softball since I was 16 in Memphis. That was a long time ago (mid-70's). That orange round ball seems to take over at some point and want let go. So please accept my apology.