CAK 2009

JuniorsDad

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

High would've been a great choice (he was getting varsity time at Safety this spring at Webb i believe) but he is ineigible

Why is he ineligible?

He participated in Webb's spring practice. Although he was not technically a high school student at the time (still in the middle school), he was a student on the same campus. Therefore, the interpretation of the rule is that he legally participated in an official high school athletic endeavor at one school, then transferred to another school without physically moving outside of that schools zone, which for private schools is established to be 20 miles I believe. At least that is my feeble understanding of the rules.

Wow, hate to hear that... so he's only able to play JV? That's a bad rule, seems like it could be appealed.

Initially it was not my understanding of the rule, but apparently it does apply. It is unfortunate for both the kid and the school as he could have contributed, but things work for the best, and he will get some good experience in JV and be a major contributor next year.

the Scrimmage tomorrow is on as of right now i believe. i dont know anything about Hardin Valley but they'll have some good athletes for sure. Matt Smith sustained a groin injury friday at practice..running suicides i heard.. so itll be Shawn Walker or Shipley stepping in at DE for tmrw as far as i know.

Initially it was not my understanding of the rule, but apparently it does apply. It is unfortunate for both the kid and the school as he could have contributed, but things work for the best, and he will get some good experience in JV and be a major contributor next year.

Unless of course he decides to transfer again. He would be eligible at Powell right? :ph34r:

Unless of course he decides to transfer again. He would be eligible at Powell right? :ph34r:

Well, that all depends. The number of transfers in a moon calendar year can not exceed 9 full moons. Now, that only applies within the county in which the original transfer took place. An exception to that would be if you lived within 300 yards of a neighboring county or school district line. Of course, if he accepted an official butt chewing from Coach Lowe while on PHS property prior to receiving his notorized release form from all his previous rec league, middle school and high school coaches, then its possible he would have to sit out a year at Powell too. For clarity on the subject, just read the simple explanation given as a footnote on the TSSAA 2009 playoff qualifications page. :wub: