CAK 2009

JuniorsDad

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How'd the guys look in the scrimmage today?

I would say overall a very good first scrimmage. As far as the ones vs. the ones, QB threw the ball well, receivers caught the ball well. RB's found some seams created by the OL and got up field quickly. Offensive line played extremely well, really never allowing pressure on the QB. Pegram and Walker showed good speed out of the backfield. Burton showed a good burst after the catch. I think we have some receivers that can force the defense to cover the entire field. Defense played extremely well. The D line did a good job up front and was able to get some pressure on the QB. The first team did a very good job of stopping up the middle, and did extremely well protecting the edges, stringing the play out and gang tackling. DB's played well. Very good coverage even on the one long TD pass. #7 did a good job filling in for JD at safety, showing good support against the run and appeared to me to be in the right place against the pass.

A couple things I noticed that showed it was a first scrimmage: Some issues with ball security in the first series. Some low snaps that I'm confident will be worked out. A couple of timing issues between the QB and backs. I didn't see any throws to the fullback (or runs by the fullback) on ones vs. ones.

Glad to see JD off the crutches and moving around well.

Defense looked VERY good imo especially the front 8. the D line dominated on most plays. one vs. ones it looked like our offense was clicking pretty good but coulda been better. i doubt the coaches were coaching to win, probably just coaching to see if the players could run certain plays well. we were able to stretch the field with 2 long TD passes to Scott and Burton and Pegram had a good run for a TD. Overall i thought it was a good first scrimmage

So how did Hardin Valley's QB look? Also, how about their RBs?

I'll respond IMO on ones vs. ones.

They had 2-3 running backs that appeared to be somewhat out of the same pattern. 5-10 ish around 175ish. Pretty quick, pretty strong for their size, some elusiveness. No really big power backs. Their offensive line didn't do a great job against CAK's front 8. I think the backs are capable of doing more if the OL becomes more effective.

The QB looked pretty good. He had a nice long ball over the top that was defended well but pretty well perfectly thrown. Overall, I didn't gather that their offense was pass oriented. QB looked fairly athletic rolling out, but passing game needs work to be more effective.

A nice first scrimmage for HV, but they will have work to do to compete in 5A.

Sweep, see ya at Webb today.

My thoughts on the scrimmage were mostly positive. The format for the scrimmage was each team got 10 plays regardless of turnovers or yardage. So it is hard to evaluate how a real game might turn out. But when evaluating what appeared to be the 1's vs 1's I thought CAK had the edge. Our depth is a problem and Hardin Valley took advantage of that when the 2's and JV's were on the field.

CAK's O line did a very good job pass blocking. #51 was very physical and the group has a whole allowed virtually no pressure on the QB. Need to be more consistant with the shotgun snap. No over the head snaps or balls rolling on the ground, but several shin high snaps. Not worried. The QB did a nice job and threw a couple very nice deep balls. He would have added some big yardage on runs if he were "live" in the scrimmage, but coach didn't want him hit. The recievers caught most of the catchable balls, a couple of drops, but not bad for the first real live action for the recievers, except the 2 receiver fumbles the first series. That can change the complexion of a game quickly. RB's did a nice job hitting the seams at full speed, but still need to learn how to use different gears and follow their blockers. But the limited run game was productive.

Defense looked very solid. Not sure how good the Hawks O line is, but CAK's D line won that battle hands down. #64 was very tough to handle and #75 and #67 stuffed the interior. The LB's kept everything contained and filled their gaps well. A few open receivers that the Hawks QB simply missed, and we were out fought for a deep pass on a well covered receiver, but not bad. Looks to be a fiesty group on defense this year.

A good first scrimmage, need improvement of course, but something to build on.

i heard through the grapevine that doug (#1) quit yesterday afternoon. any legitimacy to this? if so, does anyone know why he quit?

I believe he is going to focus on wrestling. I've been told he is a good wrestler and that CAK should have a pretty good wrestling team this year. #1 has a big heart and is well liked on the team. He is just a sophomore and should grow some more, which would most likely help him get more attention from the coaches. Good luck #1 and hope to see you around at the games. Maybe we can get you back on the gridiron next year. :lol:

I have to admit I'm disappointed but wish him the best. He has put in a lot of work to quit now just before the season starts. I thought he showed alot of promise in the spring. I fully expected him to see the field this year as a sophomore. Hopefully he will have a good season wrestling and be back next year.