CAK 2009

JuniorsDad

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question, and good comments as usual FBD and JD. I have another question. What is the thinking of putting your best lineman at center?

Center is probably the most underated position on the field. That guy touches the ball every play. If he doesn't get the ball to the QB cleanly, it won't matter how many All-American RB's , WR's or QB's you have. To complicate that, snapping shotgun, the ball needs to be consistantly placed so that the QB can catch the snap while simultaneously looking downfield. If the ball is too high, too low, too wide, too slow, too much velocity, you get the idea. The QB & Center snap is crucial. To further complicate things, add sweaty hands, mud, rain, fatique and a quick & mean nose guard and you can see why many coaches believe they should put their best lineman at center. However; since the snap is the first priority for the center and blocking second, the position can take away a bit of the aggressiveness of a good run blocker. If you have a guy who can handle the pressure and the skills of snapping, he doesn't necessarily have to be the toughest or meanest lineman, but he has to be able to hold his ground. A pass rush right up the middle is a bad thing for a pocket passing team like CAK. If center is getting over run by blitzing linebackers and nose guard, then you have to roll your QB. My opinion is you play your best center at center, if that guy happens to be your best run blocker also, then so be it.

Good question, and good comments as usual FBD and JD. I have another question. What is the thinking of putting your best lineman at center?

Last season during practice Fortner rotated through all the OL positions, he knows all the blocking assignments (as a good center should). With his strong wrestling background I think center is a natural fit for him. He has balance and knows where to put his hands and feet in order to complete his block.

Last season during practice Fortner rotated through all the OL positions, he knows all the blocking assignments (as a good center should). With his strong wrestling background I think center is a natural fit for him. He has balance and knows where to put his hands and feet in order to complete his block.

If Fortner were at C then we would indeed have our best lineman playing C. He played in several games a freshman and started every game last year i believe so he knows what he's doing out there. Bradely Sr. will make sure he puts his best lineman in what he believes to be the weakest spot on the line.

If Fortner were at C then we would indeed have our best lineman playing C. He played in several games a freshman and started every game last year i believe so he knows what he's doing out there. Bradely Sr. will make sure he puts his best lineman in what he believes to be the weakest spot on the line.

Fortner is so far the best candidate for center. I do believe Bradley Sr. knows this, we'll see how he deals with it. He has quite a bit of experience, I have faith in him.

this is how my starting line up would look for next year

offense

RT Dieter

RG Alford

C Toss Up

LG Sharp

LT Johnston

X/WR- Epperly

Y/WR- Houser

Z/WR- Mead & Burton * i think we see Houser play alot of both sides of the ball

A/WR- Mead

* Receiving core is pretty exp. even with losing 3 starting receivers last year! i Really look for them all to be great playmakers. I think the go to man will more then likly be Houser tho. but they all when get many balls thrown there way

FB- Henson/Maddox

RB- Pegram * a little mix with walker in there

QB- i think is a really close call but I personally would like for Maddox to get the job and be a 3 year starter by the time he is ready to leave! by then i think he will be a incredible asset to this team! and could be a great leader

Defense

RE- Smith

LT- Fortner

RT- Powers

LE- Deiter/Rhodes

STR OLB- Tyler Hardin

MLB- Duncan

MLB- Ech

WLB- Collett " Rockwood"

CB- WALKER

CB- Houser/Morse

FS-Morse/ Arnett

K- Warren

I think this team has very good potential! i think it depends on some coaching choices! and for some young player to step and and become men and leaders!......i cant wait to see you guys play

i dont think there's any way Deiter will play DE. but maybe im wrong. and WR corps will probably look something like this..

X- Burton, Scott

Z-Houser, Burton, (epperly if he dosnt win the qb job and theres no reason he shouldnt)

Y-Mead, Purdue, Houser

A-Scott, Mead

Morse could also be thrown into this mix if he isnt needed on defense but i think he probably will and the reciever situation is so bad as to where he'd have to play both ways.

its all up to Coach Bradely to put who he thinks fits best at each reciever position. Burton and Houser know the X and the Z and Houser knows Y at least a little bit because he played some there last year

Just spoke with a close friend today at the Orange/White game who is a high school football official. He said there are a few new rule changes this year for high school football. The big one is the "horse collar" rule. A horse collar tackle will result in a penalty. But it will almost have to occur as a solo tackle to receive the penalty. If the horse collar occurs along with another tackler hitting the runner simultaneously, then there will be no penalty. Also, there is a rule that will require the teams to be out of the locker room and back on the field a minimum of 3 minutes prior to the start of the second half, or there will be a penalty. Not sure if that is an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, delay of game penalty, or what. Also, not sure if both teams agree not to come out if the penalties would offset. I'm sure this may upset a few band directors around town. I'm glad they are putting in the "horse collar" rule. I've seen some nasty tackles like that which resulted in ACL injuries.

You have to have your best lineman blocking that outside. Playing center is no doubt very important but since not many teams are playing with nose guards, the center is relegated to snapping and supporting. Fortner doesnt need to be a support man. Put him at tackle and let a smart, steady handed kid play center. Dieter against Robinson from Alcoa wont end up pretty for whoever plays quarterback this season.

You have to have your best lineman blocking that outside. Playing center is no doubt very important but since not many teams are playing with nose guards, the center is relegated to snapping and supporting. Fortner doesnt need to be a support man. Put him at tackle and let a smart, steady handed kid play center. Dieter against Robinson from Alcoa wont end up pretty for whoever plays quarterback this season.

74 I couldnt agree more! Let's move away from center and talk about other needs. I believe we have many postions to fill on both sides of the ball. QB, tackle,guard,center,running back, 2 receivers... Defense tackle, end, outside linebacker, corner... With the quality kids we have, many can step up and do well but do any of us really know who may step up? Im not "pumping" any kid for any position, but would like to hear more about other positions and who has worked hard and matured in the off season. I think that from past teams, some players "light switches" turn on and were able to contribute to the team but were not on the rader in the off season. I hope we have several of those.. Im excited about the coming season and im sure all players are ready to go to work. Running back is a concern, do we have several quality running backs? I know that unfortunately injuries do happen and am worried about game experience with all the positions listed. I know some players filled in and are expected to step up, do they have quality game experience or limited game time against weaker teams. Does this team have quality backup's to step up if injuries do occur, we know they do. I watched all the jv games last year and they struggled against average teams with the players that are listed to start?? I believe alot of the positions are wide open and do agree that several quality players should play both ways..

I watched all the jv games last year and they struggled against average teams with the players that are listed to start?? I believe alot of the positions are wide open and do agree that several quality players should play both ways..

Shooter, I wouldn't read too much into last years JV games. CAK approaches JV games somewhat light heartedly. They rarely practiced together as a unit, maybe 3 or 4 times the entire season for 15 minute intervals. Hardly enough to even have a line up. They also rotated players regardless of down, distance, score, etc.... In other words, the coaches were just trying to get all the players a little playing time. Honestly, I was surprised the JV did as well as they did, which was 2-2, beating Loudon (who did take it seriously), crushed Grace Christian, got crushed by Webb, and lost in the last few minutes after leading most of the game to Hardin Valley who's JV team was their varsity team and played it like a regular season game. From what I was told by a coach, thats the most wins a CAK JV team has had in a while.

I do believe depth will be a serious problem, not only at running back, but at several positions. Oddly enough, one of the positions with the most depth will be QB, but all inexperienced. I believe that due to the lack of depth at RB, you will see some plays called for the QB's to run the ball, which has been a rarity the past few years at CAK. That could figure into the decision on the QB derby.

74 I couldnt agree more! Let's move away from center and talk about other needs. I believe we have many postions to fill on both sides of the ball. QB, tackle,guard,center,running back, 2 receivers... Defense tackle, end, outside linebacker, corner... With the quality kids we have, many can step up and do well but do any of us really know who may step up? Im not "pumping" any kid for any position, but would like to hear more about other positions and who has worked hard and matured in the off season. I think that from past teams, some players "light switches" turn on and were able to contribute to the team but were not on the rader in the off season. I hope we have several of those.. Im excited about the coming season and im sure all players are ready to go to work. Running back is a concern, do we have several quality running backs? I know that unfortunately injuries do happen and am worried about game experience with all the positions listed. I know some players filled in and are expected to step up, do they have quality game experience or limited game time against weaker teams. Does this team have quality backup's to step up if injuries do occur, we know they do. I watched all the jv games last year and they struggled against average teams with the players that are listed to start?? I believe alot of the positions are wide open and do agree that several quality players should play both ways..

I don't think we will really know who is "ready" until Spring practice is over. I know many players have worked hard this off season, but are they ready to play??? Are they ready to play hurt? Are they ready to play every second of every down? Are they ready to play against 18-19 year Seniors who will play at the next level? Do they know their plays? Do they know their assignments? Are they ready to change positions for the Team?

Positions are open Warriors......GO GET THEM!!!!!!!!

I don't think we will really know who is "ready" until Spring practice is over. I know many players have worked hard this off season, but are they ready to play??? Are they ready to play hurt? Are they ready to play every second of every down? Are they ready to play against 18-19 year Seniors who will play at the next level? Do they know their plays? Do they know their assignments? Are they ready to change positions for the Team?

Positions are open Warriors......GO GET THEM!!!!!!!!

Great post JR.

im sure practice is open to anybody that wants to come watch so we all can got see who's shaping up into some of these "ready" players