Oak Ridge!

Blade is very hands on in both offense and defense. It sounds to me like he puts in the system and has his assistants execute HIS system.

Blade isn't just hands on, he IS running the offense and defense. This year, he will call all the plays and he will not take any input from his assistants as far as the scheme goes. He's not going to discuss changing anything with them about the scheme. I heard Blade say that with my own ears. He made that clear from the get go and if they weren't comfortable with that, they should go. Next year, when he finds out who is competent or who can actually coach, then he will start grooming someone to take over play calling and the following year if he finds someone, he will hand over the responsibility. I'm not worried at all though, the guy knows his stuff, offense and defense. He's a very very smart offensive coach with a defensive mentality. I have confidence he'll be able to handle the play calling duties, I just hope he doesn't get burned out.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blade isn't just hands on, he IS running the offense and defense. This year, he will call all the plays and he will not take any input from his assistants as far as the scheme goes. He's not going to discuss changing anything with them about the scheme. I heard Blade say that with my own ears. He made that clear from the get go and if they weren't comfortable with that, they should go. Next year, when he finds out who is competent or who can actually coach, then he will start grooming someone to take over play calling and the following year if he finds someone, he will hand over the responsibility. I'm not worried at all though, the guy knows his stuff, offense and defense. He's a very very smart offensive coach with a defensive mentality. I have confidence he'll be able to handle the play calling duties, I just hope he doesn't get burned out.

A head coach should be able to handle play calling duties. I think Coach Blade is going to do a wonderful job! This first year might be a little tough but give him a couple of years and i think Oak Ridge will be back on track!

Yes, this is exactly what I'm referring to. I believe with this is mind, there is no reason to worry about the assistants past with SS. I don't know what the outcome will be, wins and losses, but I believe we are going to get a heavy dose of Blade's system with him expecting his assistants' to execute what he wants. I am optimistic that things are being done in a way that will result in a championship caliber team. The question in my mind is how long before the scoreboard matches the quality of the work being done by Blade and staff...

24 hours till spring practice! Work hard Wildcats! You have everything you need to be champions!

A head coach should be able to handle play calling duties. I think Coach Blade is going to do a wonderful job! This first year might be a little tough but give him a couple of years and i think Oak Ridge will be back on track!

Nice post Dragon. Good luck to Clinton this year.

This thread is so quiet. No one on here but me and I don't know anything about the practices.

Any news? I know it's too early to evaluate players. Can someone at least comment on Coach Blade's practice structure (compared to last year).

I saw about 20 min of the practice on Tuesday. There is definitely a difference from the past couple of years. There is very little downtime in between activities. All of the coaches were active in instruction on every snap of the football. Positive results were loudly praised and negative actions were dealt with immediately. Honestly, it's good to see our team get the kind of coaching that I have seen Alcoa and Maryville get.

As far as talent, hard to judge with the new systems that are being put in place. I want to see a few more practices before I start talking about students. I understand there is an article coming out today in the Oak Ridger, where coach Blade is going comment on the team. I will be interested to see that.

I am glad to hear about the tempo at practice!

For anyone who missed it, the OakRidger has an article (http://www.oakridger.com/sports/x213327 ... -scratched)

saying that the Cardinal and Grey game is cancelled. Instead, there will be a scrimmage with Wilson Central. It will be played at Tenn Tech in Cookeville at 5:30 CST on Friday May 22. This will be a great opportunity to see how our guys are picking up the new system on offense and defense. It's great for me personally as I would have been out of town during the Cardinal and Grey game. I will definitely be at the scrimmage in Cookeville, and I hope a lot of Wildcat fans can make it out and support the team, as well as show coach Blade the passion for OR football that the fans have. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

For anyone who is able to attend some practices, it would be great to hear how things are going. And which players seem to be stepping up. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I am glad to hear about the tempo at practice!

For anyone who missed it, the OakRidger has an article (http://www.oakridger.com/sports/x213327 ... -scratched)

saying that the Cardinal and Grey game is cancelled. Instead, there will be a scrimmage with Wilson Central. It will be played at Tenn Tech in Cookeville at 5:30 CST on Friday May 22. This will be a great opportunity to see how our guys are picking up the new system on offense and defense. It's great for me personally as I would have been out of town during the Cardinal and Grey game. I will definitely be at the scrimmage in Cookeville, and I hope a lot of Wildcat fans can make it out and support the team, as well as show coach Blade the passion for OR football that the fans have. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

For anyone who is able to attend some practices, it would be great to hear how things are going. And which players seem to be stepping up. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I will not be able to go to scrimmage, but at the rate we are going it will change again before I finish this Post...