Oak Ridge!

I've been at practice. I can shed a little light. Practice is very crisp, no wasted time. Drills are fast paced and very efficient, lots of energy, no standing around and watching. All the kids are involved, all the time. The team is enthusiastic and working hard. The team is pretty small physically and the speedsters are noticably absent. There's not the number of big play potential guys that are usually evident on an Oak Ridge team. If a kid is not willing to do all parts of the program, (school, workouts, practice hard every day) he will not be on this team, no matter how fast or athletic he is. This will be a blue collar type team that relies on execution and effort, rather than big plays and speed. As for the Zulliger's, younger looks good, older looks better, not 100%, still a noticable limp, not sure if it's carry over from last year or if it's a new sprain.

Great report ORidgeKat, since I haven't had the time to witness practice myself like many. I would like to take this time to make my last post until the fall. I am one of OR biggest fans. I have giving my heart and soul to the program. The program rewarded me with a college football scholarship, and I have elected to give back to the program by volunteering coaching football at the OR Boy's club, which I have been doing for several years. I don't want this to sound like a bitter post but I must say this. I realize SS is not the HC anymore. Am I bitter, not really but slightly. I'm not bitter because he's not coaching, I'm just a little bitter how he was treated. Coach Blade and Coach Stevens took over the OR job roughly with the same credentials. They both had won a State Championship. What separates them is yet to be seen. It's great to hear the kids are 'now' working hard on and off the field. To me, it's about time the kids take personal responsibility to do such. Working hard has nothing to do with the coaches, working hard is a personal responsibility, a personal gain. I'm pretty sure coaching had nothing to do with Spencer Gulimire working hard. He took it upon himself to acheive through personal dedication to the sport he loved. I understand a coach can motivate a player. I understand a coach can put you in position on the field to succeed, but a coach can't catch a football, throw a football, block, kick or tackle. It is up to the players to make all that happen. I have said all along, there was no talent on last year's team, and probably there will be no talent on this team. Four players can't get it done in the classification that OR plays in. I hope the players prove me wrong.

If I remember correctly, last year Coach SS kicked off one of East Tennessee best players due to lack of self discipline. He sat players out of games in previous years to lack of self discipline. Here in OR, you are not judge how discipline your players are, not how hard they work, not how enthusiastic they are. Even though, that's the formula for success. At the end of the season, you are judged on your record. As one poster said in a previous post, "SS was the worst coach OR have every had, look at his record".

What will be Coach Blade's measuring stick?

Lastly, I support Coach Blade and the program. I have giving my all to the program. I will be there through the good times and the bad times. I will be there rather they win or lose. I will be there if they are predicted to win or lose. It's easy to Monday morning quarterback. It's easy to hide behind a screen. At this state in the program, could each and everyone of us say the same with out some kind of personal agenda? I will be a WILDCAT to the end no matter who is coaching.

To the players - Your season never ends. After Friday's scrimmage, a new season begins. This summer show personal dedication in the weight room, show personal dedication in your conditioning. When you are not working, somebody else is. If you are a leader on this team, lead by example. The question you must ask yourself, "How do I want to be remembered". Don't procrastinate!

PROCRASTINATION: Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great report ORidgeKat, since I haven't had the time to witness practice myself like many. I would like to take this time to make my last post until the fall. I am one of OR biggest fans. I have giving my heart and soul to the program. The program rewarded me with a college football scholarship, and I have elected to give back to the program by volunteering coaching football at the OR Boy's club, which I have been doing for several years. I don't want this to sound like a bitter post but I must say this. I realize SS is not the HC anymore. Am I bitter, not really but slightly. I'm not bitter because he's not coaching, I'm just a little bitter how he was treated. Coach Blade and Coach Stevens took over the OR job roughly with the same credentials. They both had won a State Championship. What separates them is yet to be seen. It's great to hear the kids are 'now' working hard on and off the field. To me, it's about time the kids take personal responsibility to do such. Working hard has nothing to do with the coaches, working hard is a personal responsibility, a personal gain.

Working hard in practice has nothing to do with coaching?? You have got to be joking right?? I have been to a few of their practices. I have seen how the coaches are pushing them this year..........it's like a whole new team........do you know why? It's because of the coaching........practice is being ran completely different this year. If a player is not practicing hard......they get their butt chewed out big time ! Everything is being done at twice the speed..............plays are being ran over and over again until they are perfect.

You say your only slightly bitter???????????

Great report ORidgeKat, since I haven't had the time to witness practice myself like many. I would like to take this time to make my last post until the fall. I am one of OR biggest fans. I have giving my heart and soul to the program. The program rewarded me with a college football scholarship, and I have elected to give back to the program by volunteering coaching football at the OR Boy's club, which I have been doing for several years. I don't want this to sound like a bitter post but I must say this. I realize SS is not the HC anymore. Am I bitter, not really but slightly. I'm not bitter because he's not coaching, I'm just a little bitter how he was treated. Coach Blade and Coach Stevens took over the OR job roughly with the same credentials. They both had won a State Championship. What separates them is yet to be seen. It's great to hear the kids are 'now' working hard on and off the field. To me, it's about time the kids take personal responsibility to do such. Working hard has nothing to do with the coaches, working hard is a personal responsibility, a personal gain. I'm pretty sure coaching had nothing to do with Spencer Gulimire working hard. He took it upon himself to acheive through personal dedication to the sport he loved. I understand a coach can motivate a player. I understand a coach can put you in position on the field to succeed, but a coach can't catch a football, throw a football, block, kick or tackle. It is up to the players to make all that happen. I have said all along, there was no talent on last year's team, and probably there will be no talent on this team. Four players can't get it done in the classification that OR plays in. I hope the players prove me wrong.

If I remember correctly, last year Coach SS kicked off one of East Tennessee best players due to lack of self discipline. He sat players out of games in previous years to lack of self discipline. Here in OR, you are not judge how discipline your players are, not how hard they work, not how enthusiastic they are. Even though, that's the formula for success. At the end of the season, you are judged on your record. As one poster said in a previous post, "SS was the worst coach OR have every had, look at his record".

Lastly, I support Coach Blade and the program. I have giving my all to the program. I will be there through the good times and the bad times. I will be there rather they win or lose. I will be there if they are predicted to win or lose. It's easy to Monday morning quarterback. It's easy to hide behind a screen. At this state in the program, could each and everyone of us say the same with out some kind of personal agenda? I will be a WILDCAT to the end no matter who is coaching.

To the players - Your season never ends. After Friday's scrimmage, a new season begins. This summer show personal dedication in the weight room, show personal dedication in your conditioning. When you are not working, somebody else is. If you are a leader on this team, lead by example. The question you must ask yourself, "How do I want to be remembered". Don't procrastinate!

PROCRASTINATION: Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now.

I am not sure how I knew this, but I knew you were a boys club coach.

If records did not matter we would still have Coach Young here, a man of Integrity.

Please outline for us all of the thingsthat SS did well. I know you are bitter, so take your time.

When you are are done,I am going to outline a few things as well.

I am not sure how I knew this, but I knew you were a boys club coach.

If records did not matter we would still have Coach Young here, a man of Integrity.

Please outline for us all of the thingsthat SS did well. I know you are bitter, so take your time.

When you are are done,I am going to outline a few things as well.

That was my point. At the end of the day, the record is the only thing that matters.

I realize you are personally connected and it may be hard to be objective. But I can't believe you want to dig this up again. If you didn't bother to read the multitude of posts outlining the concerns of SS and understand that side of the argument before, I don't think you are going to start now. I will simply summarize by saying that SS had widespread support to begin with, and HE robbed himself of that support. Some because of his actions which were within his control. Some because he was in over his head. OR has always had good talent, but we've never been able to have the success our program has had due to talent alone. At OR, it takes a coach who knows how to build and maintain a program and can coach the kids up. Coach Blade has the support he deserves today. But if he does the same things on and off the field that SS did, he will not have my support just as I suspect he will not have most of the people on this board''s support. People who supported SS through this thing feel the need to act like there was some bias against him. Give me a break! Look at his action and HIS record on AND off the field. I wouldn't have supported anyone who performed and acted and lead the team like he did.

Spencer had more drive in his pinky than most high school players have in their whole carrer. Players like him don't need the coach to motivate and push them. But teams are not made up of Spencers. That is why some of our school's best athletes apparently are not on the team. The work ethic has changed, and it's hard to be a Wildcat (again.) You GROSSLY underestimate the talent that was on the team the last couple of years. Those of us who have been watching this team closely for years have seen what some of the previous coaches have done with players very similar and in some cases not as talented as the players SS had to work with.

It's not all about wins and losses, and if you objectively read the posts when this debate was going on hot and heavy you would know that. But wins and losses count too! If they don't matter at OR, where should they matter?? I appreciate your contribution to our young people, but I believe you are so close to this situation that you don't see it objectively. I hope the players don't buy into your evaluation of their potential. SS literally ran this program into the ground, and now it's got to be put back together. It may take time. But it sounds to me like things are clearly headed in the right direction for the first time in several years. Go Wildcats.

I would like to know how the scrimmage went with Wilson Central too. Anyone if any information?

[/quote

I heard that we are missing guys like DR. But it went well, I heard it was evident that we won. I heard the QB play was ok.Iwas told that Blade has them playing as a team overall. I was unable to attend so this is all second hand.

From a D-B Indian, we are going to miss our rivalry with you guys this year. We wish you the best and hope to see you in the playoffs. You have got a tough conference but i'm sure you will do great. We will miss coming to the "Ship" great atmosphere, best in Tennessee.Roll Tribe......................