Cael Sanderson leaves ISU for Penn St. Is Chris Bono the frontrunner

SnapDown

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the former post. Brands would not take the job. Talked with Nate Carr this afternoon and he said Kevin Jackson's name has surfaced. Kevin would do a great job. They would love to get Nate back into coaching but I do not think he would go.

[/quote

Maybe UTC should look at the Newberry Coach. He has out recruited UTC and Newberry is division II. A no name coach with very little actual wrestling experience that I am aware of, very poor facilities, school with enrollment of 800 students.......Nothing really and they have out recruited UTC and almost beat them this year. For some reason UTC seems to always look at the wrong pool of candidates. Brands from iowa, seay from oklahoma state, bono from Iowa state.........all from the elite programs of college wrestling ....Bono and Brands have never been head coaches before and UTC really took a chance on Terry. Nobody else would hire him. They get to UTC and feel like they are being mistreated because they don't have a club coach, 2 or 3 full time assistants, director of wrestling operations and other resources. They should at least call and interview some of these smaller division coaches that seem to be doing a good job with very little to work with. If they keep Bono, Newberry beats them soon.

You said ,a couple of times, Newberry has "outrecruited" UTC. Where are your facts?

Newberry has outrecruited UTC! Off the top of my head, Newberry has 5 NJ state placers on the roster, 3were state champs (Oliver, Salek, and Byrnes) and the other 2 (Newman and Fobes) were placers. Salek NHSCA NAtional Champ, Fobes, was an NHSCA runnerup.... They've got guys from MD, Florida, and GA, KS, etc.

I think they are doing a good job getting kids who can compete at the next level but who might not get a ton of D1 recognition, but all 5 of the guys I mentioned were D1 recruits. Looking at UTC's roster I would think that Newberry is getting a nice mix of kids from all over the nation and getting results.... I would say that they are effectively outrecruiting UTC.

Newberry has outrecruited UTC! Off the top of my head, Newberry has 5 NJ state placers on the roster, 3were state champs (Oliver, Salek, and Byrnes) and the other 2 (Newman and Fobes) were placers. Salek NHSCA NAtional Champ, Fobes, was an NHSCA runnerup.... They've got guys from MD, Florida, and GA, KS, etc.

I think they are doing a good job getting kids who can compete at the next level but who might not get a ton of D1 recognition, but all 5 of the guys I mentioned were D1 recruits. Looking at UTC's roster I would think that Newberry is getting a nice mix of kids from all over the nation and getting results.... I would say that they are effectively outrecruiting UTC.

UTC 24 Newberry 16 With 2 UTC starters out of the lineup. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Niko Brown . State Champ, Florida

Josh Condon : 3 times Georgia 5A State Champ, Won Sr. Nationals

Camron Couch : 3 time All-State from Texas

Carson Field : Won the 5A Georgia State Championship as a senior...Fargo National Champion as a sophomore.

Paul Garza : Arizona 5A Division II State Champion as both a junior and senior.

Dean Pavlou : Tennessee Division I State Champion as a junior and senior...member of two-time state championship team.

Cody Sliger : Two-time Tennessee Division 1 State Champion

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

IF Bono leaves----(I hope this doesnt happen)

Hopefully, we can find someone to stay around awhile and not just use UTC as a stepping stone.

I would not count on Spate leaving OK anytime soon. My eyes are open for new possibilities for UTC.

I have been watching several coaches around the areas and am inpressed with several. One is Frankie James. He has shown that he can recruit even to the middle of nowhere Kentucky. Jared Swint seems to be building a decent team.

Just my 2 cents

Why not look at King College Head Coach Nate Moorman. While competing at Carson Newman he broke numerous records. As an assistant coach there coached three all americans in a year, and revamped the King College program coaching four All-Americans and a national finalist in two years!

UTC 24 Newberry 16 With 2 UTC starters out of the lineup. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Niko Brown . State Champ, Florida

Josh Condon : 3 times Georgia 5A State Champ, Won Sr. Nationals

Camron Couch : 3 time All-State from Texas

Carson Field : Won the 5A Georgia State Championship as a senior...Fargo National Champion as a sophomore.

Paul Garza : Arizona 5A Division II State Champion as both a junior and senior.

Dean Pavlou : Tennessee Division I State Champion as a junior and senior...member of two-time state championship team.

Cody Sliger : Two-time Tennessee Division 1 State Champion

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I don't see your point? UTC should be picking up kids from GA and TN they should shouldn't they? Garza's brother went to UTC didn't he so it's not like that was a big recruiting coupe. My point is that for a solid D1 program, I would think that Bono would be tapping into the midwest much more than he has.....

I don't see your point? UTC should be picking up kids from GA and TN they should shouldn't they? Garza's brother went to UTC didn't he so it's not like that was a big recruiting coupe. My point is that for a solid D1 program, I would think that Bono would be tapping into the midwest much more than he has.....

My point is ............. you don't have to get wrestlers from New Jersey to have a good class. Several state champs and a couple of National Champs.

You posted: "Off the top of my head, Newberry has 5 NJ state placers on the roster, 3were state champs (Oliver, Salek, and Byrnes) and the other 2 (Newman and Fobes) were placers. Salek NHSCA NAtional Champ, Fobes, was an NHSCA runnerup.... They've got guys from MD, Florida, and GA, KS, etc."

I posted UTC's Freshmen ........ that include Several State winners, guys from Florida, Texas, Arizona along with TN, GA.

My point is ............. you don't have to get wrestlers from New Jersey to have a good class. Several state champs and a couple of National Champs.

You posted: "Off the top of my head, Newberry has 5 NJ state placers on the roster, 3were state champs (Oliver, Salek, and Byrnes) and the other 2 (Newman and Fobes) were placers. Salek NHSCA NAtional Champ, Fobes, was an NHSCA runnerup.... They've got guys from MD, Florida, and GA, KS, etc."

I posted UTC's Freshmen ........ that include Several State winners, guys from Florida, Texas, Arizona along with TN, GA.

Fields and Condon will both be All-Americans by the time they graduate and so will Johnson!!!