SHOWDOWN THURSDAY

akula21

Silverfoot, I totally agree with you about the Refs. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Now for the subject at hand...

Bearden 2-1 over Farragut...Because Stone Cold Cree Said So.

Cak 3-1 over Catholic...Write it down and bet the Farm.

Oak Ridge 2-1 over West...That's not my prediction for the score, but rather the yellow card count for the game. Score will be 1-1.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You people" is kind of cruel. There are a few good ones (refs). There are some terrible ones. But all the teams have their fair share of whiners that want to blame the ref, but it boils down to which team can play as a unit and a coach that keeps them focussed on the game and not the calls.

I coach at a school with half (being generous to my team) the talent that Bearden, Farragut, Oak Ridge, West, CAK, and Catholic have. My players don't blame the ref. The one time that they did we ran after the game until that thought no longer existed in their mind.

I don't know why I am still surprised to watch high caliber players act like cry babies when a call doesn't go their way. I'm still equally shocked that coaches leave those players in the game. They distract from the play and generally make themselves (and your team) look like a bunch of whiners.

Many years ago the best player in our district played for Farragut. We (as coaches) said in no uncertain terms that we would not allow him to be our district player of the year specifically due to his whining about calls. It was embarassing. If he had spent more time playing soccer versus begging for calls no telling what he could have done.

In my view, if you have to blame the refs for a loss, you deserved to lose. I know sometimes you have to over come 12 players ... but that is life. Pull the level of play up and compete. That's what my teams do. We may still lose, but we don't lose because of the refs, we just have to work harder to get better.

"You people" is kind of cruel. There are a few good ones (refs). There are some terrible ones. But all the teams have their fair share of whiners that want to blame the ref, but it boils down to which team can play as a unit and a coach that keeps them focussed on the game and not the calls.

I coach at a school with half (being generous to my team) the talent that Bearden, Farragut, Oak Ridge, West, CAK, and Catholic have. My players don't blame the ref. The one time that they did we ran after the game until that thought no longer existed in their mind.

I don't know why I am still surprised to watch high caliber players act like cry babies when a call doesn't go their way. I'm still equally shocked that coaches leave those players in the game. They distract from the play and generally make themselves (and your team) look like a bunch of whiners.

Many years ago the best player in our district played for Farragut. We (as coaches) said in no uncertain terms that we would not allow him to be our district player of the year specifically due to his whining about calls. It was embarassing. If he had spent more time playing soccer versus begging for calls no telling what he could have done.

In my view, if you have to blame the refs for a loss, you deserved to lose. I know sometimes you have to over come 12 players ... but that is life. Pull the level of play up and compete. That's what my teams do. We may still lose, but we don't lose because of the refs, we just have to work harder to get better.

Soccerdevil.....I find this reply very interesting! I couldn't resist sending something back. I can agree with the remarks about the refs- as always, good ones and poor ones. I have found that as a soccer fans position changes, so does the opinion about refs. As a coach, I rarely complained to a ref- the exception was when they did not protect a player, on my team or the opponents. I would not allow any player to ever complain about a ref, and like your suggestion, if a player did this- I pulled them. Before every game the last words out of my mouth was always to respect the ref. RESPECT....doesn't mean you think they are great, but they are in the position to alter balance. Usually the calm acceptance of a bad decision changed how those calls went. Now, having been out of coaching for years, I have the most fun ever.....I yell and holler at the ref's relentlessly!! Now, this may seem mean to the ref, and maybe it is, but I do not yell to get the ref rattled or try and change his calls, etc.- I do it to get the fans of the other team all worked up. It changes the entire energy of the game......most of the refs (especially the "good" ones) chuckle, smile or outright laugh at some of the things I yell at them. I know a lot of them and they don't take it personal.....I think of it as entertainment. If an opponent doesn't like it....... they haven't given in to the emotion of the game. Thats why other countries have such fun! (and your occasional riot!..oops!) I do not agree with the part about the district player of the year award......I can appreciate the fact that most coaches don't like whiners, but where does that end? What if you don't like the parents, his hair cut, race, religion, too loud, too shy, bad breath, his feet stink too much!! The fact that the kid was a whiner shouldn't have anything to do with the fact that he may have been the best player in the district. You "as coaches" denied him that because of a character flaw- not talent. Just a thought!!

Still loved this post- thanks!! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

To be honest in big rivalry games like bearden vs farragut and cak vs catholic any side is capable of winning. Emotions and adrenaline are intense, and the crowd can tend to make an impact. My only predictions for these two games is that they will be hard fought and down to the wire. Good luck to everyone.

Soccerdevil.....I find this reply very interesting! I couldn't resist sending something back. I can agree with the remarks about the refs- as always, good ones and poor ones. I have found that as a soccer fans position changes, so does the opinion about refs. As a coach, I rarely complained to a ref- the exception was when they did not protect a player, on my team or the opponents. I would not allow any player to ever complain about a ref, and like your suggestion, if a player did this- I pulled them. Before every game the last words out of my mouth was always to respect the ref. RESPECT....doesn't mean you think they are great, but they are in the position to alter balance. Usually the calm acceptance of a bad decision changed how those calls went. Now, having been out of coaching for years, I have the most fun ever.....I yell and holler at the ref's relentlessly!! Now, this may seem mean to the ref, and maybe it is, but I do not yell to get the ref rattled or try and change his calls, etc.- I do it to get the fans of the other team all worked up. It changes the entire energy of the game......most of the refs (especially the "good" ones) chuckle, smile or outright laugh at some of the things I yell at them. I know a lot of them and they don't take it personal.....I think of it as entertainment. If an opponent doesn't like it....... they haven't given in to the emotion of the game. Thats why other countries have such fun! (and your occasional riot!..oops!) I do not agree with the part about the district player of the year award......I can appreciate the fact that most coaches don't like whiners, but where does that end? What if you don't like the parents, his hair cut, race, religion, too loud, too shy, bad breath, his feet stink too much!! The fact that the kid was a whiner shouldn't have anything to do with the fact that he may have been the best player in the district. You "as coaches" denied him that because of a character flaw- not talent. Just a thought!!

Still loved this post- thanks!! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I probably am not in the right frame of mind to discuss refs this morning ... we had to beat 12 people last night to squeak out a win. I doubt I would be as philosophical this morning. I lost my cool for the first time with a ref last night. Hate that. And after I have to pay last night's crew $160 I want them to earn their money one way or the other, ha!

I do agree that it would be discrimination to deny a player based on arbitrary traits. Well, parents ... I believe we would have more fun and better games if the parents just dropped the kids and went home (just a joke). I think the main reason all the coaches were unanimous (except Farragut's) was that we could all tell he was a distraction to himself AND the team. I didn't know the kid off the field, he could have been great. I played adult soccer with a guy who I later told "If I didn't know how nice you were off the field, I would have to kill you if I was playing against you". We all know the type.

I know this is kind of rambling, but if any of you have seen Mark Sherrod play he doesn't strike me as a whiner and to have that kind of skill and to get hacked the way he does ... that makes him a truly outstanding player in my limited soccer knowledge. This kid we denied didn't have Mark's physical attributes, but he had the touch, the vision, and the desire, but he undermined his play with his behavior.

I guess that poses the next question ... is that nature / nurture? Was this kid always given his way on the field / off the field? Did he expect better treatment due to his level of play? Or was he born with an extra whine chromosome?

Thanks for the reply ... I hadn't thought of it the way you posed the question. Definitely makes me think more about it. I was in my early 20's at the time and you know we all know everything at that age ... until you turn 30 and realize you don't know anything.

... I was in my early 20's at the time and you know we all know everything at that age ... until you turn 30 and realize you don't know anything.

Hey, wait until you reach the other milestone years at 40 and 50, amazing the amount you really thought you knew! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Soccer Devil , Who are you and where do you coach? You seem to know alot and that should be a benefit for your team.

Just a guy who likes soccer. I've coached a couple of high schools, but not a name you would recognize. I kind of like being anonymous so I can post predictions on games without retaliation later. Ha!

Sorry to be eating up the Thursday show down thread. All 9 of these programs lead the way for the state. They have set the bar high and it is a pleasure to watch them play. So I still want to see more people predict on these games.

I am surprised at the number of people picking Oak Ridge over West. West is explosive, nothing against Oak Ridge at all, but when West is clicking on all cylinders they are tough. If they stay in the game mentally and don't start yapping at each other and the refs, I think West will do quite well. Nothing against Bearden or Farragut, but we all try to be like them and it is nice to see others starting to catch up. (Or hoping to catch up)

Pics:

Oak Ridge 2, West 1: Oak Ridge is, in my opinion, one of the most underrated teams in the state. They have several game changers in Del Castillo and Jenks, and they are able to control the pace of the game in the middle of the field. Furthermore, Grimm is one of the most versatile players in the region, and he will be used sparingly based on his health and the team's need. In addition to outstanding field players, they also have a strong and physical presence between the pipes which ensures that they are alive in all games. West, on the other hand, lacks consistency at the keeper position, as their starting keeper has been plagued with injury. Moreover, I am not positive that West's tempers will not flare in a match of such intensity, and I could easily see another red card delivered to one of West's big names. But despite West's drama, they, too, boast several difference makers who are both inventive and productive in the offensive third--namely Tanner T. and Jack M. Look for it to be close, but Oak Ridge will continue to be resilient as they were in the Barry Redmond Tourney.

CAK 2, Catholic 1: I give the nod to CAK due to the uncertainty surrounding Tyler Gibson's status. They say that one player doesn't make a team, but Tyler Gibson is one of those rare players who makes everyone around him a better player. He relieves pressure from Spencer, and he has great speed of play and 360 awareness. Unlike the ambiguity surrounding Catholic's lineup, we basically know what CAK will bring. They are a senior driven team that possesses the ball well and will beat you with simplicity rather than panache.

Farragut 3, Bearden 1: I have been very adamant and vocal about Bearden being just as good as Farragut, but I think I probably haven't given Farragut enough credit. That is not to say that Bearden is not an excellent side; it is just that Farragut sometimes appears to be in another league this year. I have not seen a team move as quickly to the ball as Farragut does, and they attack with numbers, speed, and height. Tnfutbol recently commented on the lack of creativity that Farragut has been showing lately, but I don't really think it matters. They have the ability to keep it on their opponent's end, and they will pack several monsters in the box and let Grieco unleash his cannon. Eventually, so much size, depth, speed and experience (yes, experience) wears ya down, and that is exactly what Farragut will do to Bearden. Look for Bearden to have a go, and look for Campbell to embarrass Farragut's sometimes overzealous back line at least once, but, in the end, Farragut should be too much for the dawgs.

In good fun,

dins

Dins, spoken like a true Jedi.

Wow, that was like 2 inside jokes rolled into one. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Think I just rescheduled a client so I am definitely making one of these games. Which one to choose........

know this is kind of rambling, but if any of you have seen Mark Sherrod play he doesn't strike me as a whiner and to have that kind of skill and to get hacked the way he does ... that makes him a truly outstanding player in my limited soccer knowledge. This kid we denied didn't have Mark's physical attributes, but he had the touch, the vision, and the desire, but he undermined his play with his behavior.

Soccerdevil.......again, great reply. I can see your point!! I have yet to see Sherrod play. I am trying to get to a game where he will have to use all those skills. I have yet to hear something bad about this kid and any player who can maintain poise while being hacked at has my admiration!! I wish that he and other top level players would take time and really look at the soccer program they are about to attend at the college level. I still can't believe all the hype about "D1" schools. Have you ever seen a good "D1" game? I watched the D1 championship game and it was embarrassing and painful to watch- a giant game of kick ball!! In the off season the smaller schools (div 2, NAIA, etc) get to play these D1 schools and usually do very well. The division 1 champions will usually get destroyed by the top NAIA schools. They rarely play in the Spring....and for good reason! (Indiana got destroyed by Lindsey-Wilson one year, Azuza Pacifica beat them 4-1, etc. etc.) Usually they get embarrassed! Hope he has made a good decision. I don't know where he is going to college. If anyone knows, please post it for me! I know of an All American player from Bearden.....possibly one of the best ever in this area, he chose a "D1" school and just got messed over. This kid could play at any level, but didn't get a fair chance. It was a disgrace if you ask me. I would be willing to bet that he wishes he had taken more time to make a better decision. Something for players to think about!!