SHOWDOWN THURSDAY

akula21

I just wish players quit putting so much into going to a D1 school, just because it is a D1 school. That alone does not make them better and so many people go to one of them, only to be disappointed. I think having McCoy and Sherrod is a step in the right direction for Memphis!!

I think the draw towards going to a D1 school is name recognition. While people who know a lot about soccer know that the NAIA has excellent teams, the average American has never heard of most of these teams. I think that some players, not all, want to go to these schools so when people ask where they played they can say UCLA, UNC, Indiana etc. Just my thoughts.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dins8, I was addressing cnpitbull- he asked for my opinion about Memphis. I gave him the best reply I could- I admit that having not seen them play I could only guess based on their record and the teams I have seen play. As far as the question about blasting Cody or Mark- that was NOT the intent. I have always felt that Cody was a great player. My own sons played against him- one of them a defender for Bearden, who came home and stated that Cody was for real and one of the better players he faced while in high school! Thats quit a compliment- they rarely say such a thing about anyone that isn't a teammate! So I am certainly not trying to say something negative about him- as far as Sherrod goes, I haven't had the pleasure to watch him play- but will soon! I would blast most any of the D1 schools because they generally play very poor soccer! While it is sometimes effective, simply because they have more physical talent, seeing them kick a ball 60 yards back and forth ........well, watching them is painful! Just watch the D1 championship game between Maryland and North Carolina- it is sickening....a giant game of kick ball! I dare say that there were 5 teams in the NAIA that would beat them or at least teach them how to make a string of 6 passes together! Something that rarely happened in that game.

I just wish players quit putting so much into going to a D1 school, just because it is a D1 school. That alone does not make them better and so many people go to one of them, only to be disappointed. I think having McCoy and Sherrod is a step in the right direction for Memphis!!

I read ya now. I also believe that too much emphasis is placed on going D1, but I disagree that NAIA is better soccer than D1. Maybe it is that I am biased, but D1 soccer is very exciting to me, and there are plenty of teams that play very attractive soccer at the D1 level (in my opinion). As for the championship between Maryland and NC...I think it might have something to do with the rivalry. Consider how attractive soccer goes out the door when two rivals play in HS soccer. Last Thursday both Bearden and Farragut played ugly soccer, and both teams are very disciplined and good at doing what they do. A championship game or a big game makes some teams resort to boom ball, safe play, and physical play. Even high level D1 teams can play overly direct and constantly turn the ball over due to the high intensity of the game. I think it is only natural for teams to play unattractive soccer when they are in a do or die game. You kinda see my point?

I also believe part of the reason some bigtime players may choose some of the best D-1 schools over some of the best NAIA or smaller division schools is because of the acedemics. A lot of the smaller schools do not offer what many students would like to major in; however, on the flip side, some smaller division schools may cater perfectly to the players preferences and intended majors. Usually big D-1 schools offer a much larger variety of studies. Lets not forget that not all big time college players are going to play proffesionally. No matter the division (NAIA, D-1, D-2, D-3), we can all agree that each division has many quality soccer programs and each has teams with different playing styles as well. A players decision is based on more than just finding the highest quality team that will take them in most cases.

That rule doesn't apply in all sports, I think he can play right away.

Balboa, i don't know any specifics about his injury or recovery.

Surgery went well... he is recovering nicely. Last time we talked, he had the understanding that he would be getting a full release, which should allow him to play.

Pseudo, thanks for the feedback. Everyone has made some interesting, valid, points in this debate. I didn't know that Tarr was transferring to Memphis. Maybe they'll change the name to Knoxville Tigers? /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> Good luck to all these young men.

Surgery went well... he is recovering nicely. Last time we talked, he had the understanding that he would be getting a full release, which should allow him to play.

Can you shed some light on why Tarr transferred? Lack of playing time, bad fit, one set of standards for all, disagreement with coach? From an outside observer who saw Tarr compete in club and HS, this really is not a suprising turn of events. Hopefully, he will eventually mature, be team oriented and be a success. Maybe Memphis is the place.

It appears that Richie has used his past few years as ODP coach to prime and recruit these new players. Notorious (whether truthful or not) for not recruiting local players, it is good to see U of M go after Tennessee players instead of all the Irish boys!

So take notice 94 ODP players who now get Richie as their coach....you may have a D1 ticket waiting if you work hard.

Oh...and Richie Grant has finally been lured to club soccer as well, accepting a position with the Collierville LOBOS organization.