Elizabethton vs. Chuckey -Doak

coachh17

Carter said he expected the TSSAA to announce a decision no later than Wednesday. "

I truly hope they will make a decision by today. The other 2 teams in the district are waiting on this outcome as well as CDHS and Elizabethton. Both teams, SGHS and UH have to make accomodations for who they will play in the district tournament.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Chuckey-Doak vs. Elizabethton match was stopped this week with Elizabethton leading 2-0 with 36 minutes remaining in the second half. Five red cards were issued for an on- field brawl. Published reports in the Johnson City Press say that Cyclone Athletic Director Mike Wilson took action to restore order and called 911 for local police support to get Chuckey-Doak out of the stadium without further incident. The reports also say that the officials failed to gain control of the game early and did not act decisively when the brawl began. The TSSAA has not made a ruling on the outcome of the game or the penalties that may ensue.

I did not see this particular game, but have witnessed many girl's soccer games between these two schools. I have also seen many girl's basketball games between Elizabethton and South Greene. When Elizabethton plays these two the Greene County schools there is always a good possibility of things turning ugly. I am a Cyclone fan all the way, so call me biased if you must, but the pushing, grabbing, holding, and verbal intimidation tactics must stop. I witnessed it routinely in the twelve years I coached. This may be the incident that finally forces the TSSAA and the game officials to investigate and put an end to this type of physical play. The coaches and school administrations need to clean it up. Clearly, somebody is going to get hurt if it does not end.

I have witness a few chucky doak games and i have come to the conclusion that they need to clean things up or just stop competing.

this leads to a great question.

A) What are the responsibilities of all parties if a brawl breaks out?

Can anyone answer?

I have looked in the soccer rule book and there is no exact answer to what role everyone plays. The only thing for sure is that a player, coach, or bench personnel shall be cautioned for entering or leaving the field of play without the permission of an official, persistent infringement of any of the rules of the game; objecting by word of mouth or action to any decision given by an official.

We, as coaches have been told if a fight breaks out, keep on the sidelines and keep your bench off the field.

I have looked in the soccer rule book and there is no exact answer to what role everyone plays. The only thing for sure is that a player, coach, or bench personnel shall be cautioned for entering or leaving the field of play without the permission of an official, persistent infringement of any of the rules of the game; objecting by word of mouth or action to any decision given by an official.

We, as coaches have been told if a fight breaks out, keep on the sidelines and keep your bench off the field.

Three guys wearing TSSAA on thier shirts. . . . . From the J.C. Press

Elizabethton, Doak soccer banned from postseason for fight

By Douglas Fritz

Press Sports Writer

dfritz@johnsoncitypress.com

Shocking coaches and administrators at both Elizabethton and Chuckey-Doak, the TSSAA landed a crushing blow on the boys??™ soccer programs at those schools Thursday.

The organization that governs high school athletics in the state ruled both teams ineligible for the District 1-A/AA tournament, effectively ending their 2009 seasons. Both schools were also fined $1,000.

It appears the ruling is iron clad, but the schools announced Thursday their plan for a joint appeal. The appeal is expected to be heard this weekend in Maryville as the district tournament is scheduled to begin Tuesday.

The ruling was handed down because of a fight that broke out during a regular season contest last week in Elizabethton. With the Cyclones leading 2-0, the game was stopped with 36 minutes remaining because of the fight.

In a minor portion of the ruling, the TSSAA determined no winner would be decided for that contest.

Chuckey-Doak principal George Frye said he was very upset by the TSSAA??™s postseason penalty.

???I??™m devastated for both programs,??? said Frye. ???I know how hard these kids have worked to prepare for tournament play, and I??™m devastated they won??™t be allowed to do that.???

Elizabethton athletic director Mike Wilson said he was stunned.

???I??™m shocked at what happened,??? said Wilson. ???I??™m very disappointed and surprised at the severity of the penalty.???

One of the biggest issues both schools had with the harshness of the TSSAA decision was the fact there were already punishments handed out. Under TSSAA rules, the four Elizabethton players and two Chuckey-Doak players issued red cards in that contest were forced to sit out for two games.

The Cyclones even went one step further, requiring their four players to sit out a third game.

???The effort was made to punish these kids, and now we have to see them get punished again,??? said Wilson. ???It just doesn??™t seem right. The kids understand how serious this was.???

Wilson said the goal of the appeal is simple.

???We??™re just trying to give our kids a chance to play,??? said Wilson. ???We??™re not pretending this didn??™t happen, and we both regret it.

???But we??™ve got some great kids on our team. And some of them are seniors. It??™s incredibly punitive for those kids. And I think Chuckey-Doak feels the same way.???

Because there are only four teams in District 1-A/AA, the absence of Elizabethton and Chuckey-Doak would leave University High playing host to South Greene for the championship late next week.

Elizabethton and Chuckey-Doak both had a game scheduled for Thursday night, and the Cyclones have a makeup game set for Saturday against Science Hill.

Why the severity of the penalty when the same thing happened between Gibbs and Fulton and TSSAA did not hand out any consequences.

Or was there a significant difference in the two situations?

Wow.

I believe the TSSAA did hand out sanctions to Gibbs and Fulton (I believe they had to forfeit games). Maybe because Elizabethons' situation happened near the end of the season, the only games they could sanction would be post season?

From talking to coach Larry Johnston at Fulton, most of the games they had to forfeit and the extended suspensions on the players involved was a response from their administration and not TSSAA. I would assume that TSSAA is trying to make a STATEMENT with this ruling, especially with this being the second such occurance this year. Although this ruling seems harsh the message is clear, play under control or you won't play at all.