Elizabethton vs. Chuckey -Doak

coachh17

From talking to coach Larry Johnston at Fulton, most of the games they had to forfeit and the extended suspensions on the players involved was a response from their administration and not TSSAA. I would assume that TSSAA is trying to make a STATEMENT with this ruling, especially with this being the second such occurance this year. Although this ruling seems harsh the message is clear, play under control or you won't play at all.

I was told the same thing about the Fulton situation and our AD got the response from the TSSAA that they supported Fulton's actions as far as the consequences go, but have heard nothing concerning consequences for Gibbs. Not that I want to see them punished but just wondering where the consistency is here.

I agree with your post, a statement has been made!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The TSSAA needs to get it's own house in order before they act. When coaches are told not to enter the field if a fight occurs. There are three paid professionals on the field who must take action immediately to quell the disturbance. Players on both teams have received punishment for their lack of judgement and the schools involved have been fined but there has been no mention of what the TSSAA and their certificated officials are doing to clearify the rules or their responsibility to protect the student athletes in cases like this. The TSSAA has a long history of lofty ideals and taking no resonsibility for supervision or training of officials.

Spot on

That's about like responding,"Don't get into an accident and you won't have to worry about it.", to a complaint about the late arrival of an ambulance to an accident scene. It's easy to judge from a far off. Although I don't condone fighting, the Elizabethton players were responding to a blatant attack on one of their teammates. Early intervention (or any for that matter) by the officials would have stopped the escalation of an isolated event into a bigger matter. The coaches did what they thought they were supposed to do, stay on the sidelines and control the bench.

As for the TSSAA ruling, it's just another example of what the organization is mainly about - MONEY! What's the purpose of fining the schools $1000? That affects all athletic programs and the corresponding student athletes, not just soccer. No matter how you shake it, the penalties were not assessed fairly. Both schools received the same penalties. How is that fair? The team that started the incident should have gotten the stiffer penalty. The ban from post-season play is unwarranted as well. Possible forfeiture of the game in conjunction with the individual penalties assessed to the players would have been a more reasonable judgement.

That's about like responding,"Don't get into an accident and you won't have to worry about it.", to a complaint about the late arrival of an ambulance to an accident scene. It's easy to judge from a far off. Although I don't condone fighting, the Elizabethton players were responding to a blatant attack on one of their teammates. Early intervention (or any for that matter) by the officials would have stopped the escalation of an isolated event into a bigger matter. The coaches did what they thought they were supposed to do, stay on the sidelines and control the bench.

As for the TSSAA ruling, it's just another example of what the organization is mainly about - MONEY! What's the purpose of fining the schools $1000? That affects all athletic programs and the corresponding student athletes, not just soccer. No matter how you shake it, the penalties were not assessed fairly. Both schools received the same penalties. How is that fair? The team that started the incident should have gotten the stiffer penalty. The ban from post-season play is unwarranted as well. Possible forfeiture of the game in conjunction with the individual penalties assessed to the players would have been a more reasonable judgement.

To suggest or imply that what happened on the pitch was an accident is absurd. I didn't witness it personally but based on the descriptions it's pretty clear there was a conscious decision on the part of those involved to fight. I would agree with your analogy if you modified it as follows...."Don't intentionally run your car into a ditch and you won't have to worry about it". Quit blaming it on 3rd parties (i.e. TSSA). What ever happened to good old fashioned taking responsibility for our actions? I'm not saying the decision by TSSA was reasonable, rather, I'm suggesting, as others have, that you reap what you sow.

Need any cheese to go with that wine?

The TSSAA needs to get it's own house in order before they act. When coaches are told not to enter the field if a fight occurs. There are three paid professionals on the field who must take action immediately to quell the disturbance. Players on both teams have received punishment for their lack of judgement and the schools involved have been fined but there has been no mention of what the TSSAA and their certificated officials are doing to clearify the rules or their responsibility to protect the student athletes in cases like this. The TSSAA has a long history of lofty ideals and taking no resonsibility for supervision or training of officials.

If the refs kept a better handle on the games many of these incidents would not be incidents. All the blame seems to be placed on the the players and coaches. Shouldn't their be a review of the officiating and sanctions for their part in this or rather lack thereof? 'Blame' should be distributed to ALL involved.

If the refs kept a better handle on the games many of these incidents would not be incidents. All the blame seems to be placed on the the players and coaches. Shouldn't their be a review of the officiating and sanctions for their part in this or rather lack thereof? 'Blame' should be distributed to ALL involved.

It seems it's much easier to place blame elsewhere rather than taking responsibility for our own actions. The refs didn't cause the fight. They certainly have the ability to "set the tone" of a match based on which calls they make and those they let go, but is it their responsibility to prevent fights from taking place? At what point do players take responsibility? After they've exhausted placing blame on everyone else? At the end of the day the players have control over their own actions and are accountable for them.

Good for the TSSAA. They finally show that they have the balls to take some action that will get the attention of the schools and the players. If they cannot control their emotions, then they should not be allowed to play the game and they have proven that they cannot control their emotions. It has been proven that a slap on the hand does not work with teams and players that act foolishly. As someone said, you choose the behavior, you choose the consequences.

It seems it's much easier to place blame elsewhere rather than taking responsibility for our own actions. The refs didn't cause the fight. They certainly have the ability to "set the tone" of a match based on which calls they make and those they let go, but is it their responsibility to prevent fights from taking place? At what point do players take responsibility? After they've exhausted placing blame on everyone else? At the end of the day the players have control over their own actions and are accountable for them.

Actually I feel the blame goes to ALL. Players for out of control emotions, coaches for not recognizing and subbing appropriately -- in for the win maybe?, and refs for not keeping better control of the game even fans/parents for perpetuating the mood of a team. As you said many times it is the ref that has a hand in setting the tone of a match. In such a circumstance they then should at least blow a whistle in an attempt to gain some attention if not full control of a volatile situation. I just feel it took all parties involved in the game to get to where it ended up and all should then be accountable.