maryville vs. alcoa

soccerfan17

Well I hope the crowd got their money's worth. We had alot of people there, which made for a great atmosphere. I give Maryville alot of credit, they deserved the win. Had a great goal to open it up, got another off low hard corner we couldn't clear out. We scored a nice volley off a corner within minutes to close the gap, but Maryville got the third off a throwin that was a bit confusing. I can't tell if someone flicked it or touched it, but the AR said he saw it hit a player, so that is all that matters, maybe someone there can clear that up for me, it happened so fast I wasn't sure one way or the other. Regardless, i thought maryville had the overall better match, but I know our boys played well tonight and shouldn't hang their heads. It was very physical, and outside of one small instance that both boys got up and walked away from, it was the good type of physical. It was good to see Henry back in goal and he didn't seem to hesitate at all after the concussion. He has grown so much this season from the first time I saw him. Maryville seems to be putting it together at the right time. Good luck next week to Coach Feathers and the Rebels.

Akula is pretty much right on. It was a good match and Alcoa is a good team. We did not play our best game and I think Alcoa was a bit direct too. Overall, it was a very physical match with very little possession from either team. It seems like it is always like this when rivals play...Farragut and Bearden played the same way last night. It is worth noting that the Maryville coaching staff was VERY impressed with Sam Thompson. At first we thought he was just a great athlete, but now we think he is a great soccer player as well. He gave our midfield fits. Overall, great game, and we hope we can continue this traditon next year as well.

Shots:

Maryville: 17

Alcoa: 8

Corners:

Alcoa: 8

Maryville: 7

This is from the Maryville bench...Alcoa might have something different.

Well I hope the crowd got their money's worth. We had alot of people there, which made for a great atmosphere. I give Maryville alot of credit, they deserved the win. Had a great goal to open it up, got another off low hard corner we couldn't clear out. We scored a nice volley off a corner within minutes to close the gap, but Maryville got the third off a throwin that was a bit confusing. I can't tell if someone flicked it or touched it, but the AR said he saw it hit a player, so that is all that matters, maybe someone there can clear that up for me, it happened so fast I wasn't sure one way or the other. Regardless, i thought maryville had the overall better match, but I know our boys played well tonight and shouldn't hang their heads. It was very physical, and outside of one small instance that both boys got up and walked away from, it was the good type of physical. It was good to see Henry back in goal and he didn't seem to hesitate at all after the concussion. He has grown so much this season from the first time I saw him. Maryville seems to be putting it together at the right time. Good luck next week to Coach Feathers and the Rebels.

Great crowd at the game. I think a special thanks should go out to Alcoa for promoting this game so well and getting a crowd out to watch. Great atmosphere. I went to the Faragut/Bearden Game Thursday night and saw a similar crowd with the same type atmosphere and excitement. I think if more of the High Schools would take the time to promote their games(especially big rival games),we would see crowds like this more often. Again, I want to thank Alcoa for going the extra mile to get folks out to the game. Soccer has come a long way in Blount county and we have two great teams and programs that deserve to be supported.

As for the game you could really tell both teams wanted this game badly. Hence the physical play during the game. I think Alcoa had been pointing to this game, and Maryville deserves a lot of credit for coming out with the victory in this one. They certainly did not back down, and we saw a lot of toe to toe physical play. I even thought the refs called it a little to tight on some of the action. Some good shoulder to shoulder play was being called fouls. Like Akula said only one play near the end of game was really out of line. Don't think either player(Sam Thompson or Ryan Pugh) was going to back down on that one, but it was great to see them walk away after the play was over. Both players played a great game, and it was fun to watch them battle all night in the mid-field. Two special players getting after it.

Good luck to both teams going forward. I think both teams have a great chance to make a lot of noise in the playoffs if they play well.